CPST Liability insurance

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
First let me say :happy-wavehello: to all of you since I never introduced myself. I recognize some of you from Delphi.

I was wondering where I should look into getting liability insurance once I am a CPST. I know about http://www.hpso.com/ Are there any other palces I should look into?

I spoke with my insurance agent (S.F.) and he said that a separate liablility policy may be costly. He said I may be able to get something added onto my homeowner policy if I let them know that I am volunteering and not getting paid.

I am sure my instructor will touch base on this in class, but I want to be prepared.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I only know of the one you already listed. I used to have my liability insurance with them but now that I work in the CPS field I didn't renew as I am covered through my work or with Safe Kids at their events. I no longer do personal installs (except for close friends) outside of work.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks Jenny. I will keep checking around. I just want to make sure I am covered. There are unfortunately there are some sue happy people out there. The good samaritan laws protect you to an extent. I was thinking if I did any private installs I could have the person sign a waiver realeasing me from any liability. What do you think?

jenmann21

Senior Community Member
Thanks Jenny. I will keep checking around. I just want to make sure I am covered. There are unfortunately there are some sue happy people out there. The good samaritan laws protect you to an extent. I was thinking if I did any private installs I could have the person sign a waiver realeasing me from any liability. What do you think?

Hey Lisa!
About the waiver. Our instructor said you want to document every single install you help with. You'll make up your own form, possibly based on the one your instructor uses. I use our city PD's form except with my name. It has a liability waiver in it. But she said honestly that won't keep people from trying to sue anyway. All the more reason to make sure the parent is the last one to install the seat!

So for techs like us who aren't covered under another company or do private appointments outside of SK, the liability insurance is not a bad idea. And HPSO is cheap enough that I'm glad I did it. :thumbsup:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Hey Lisa!
About the waiver. Our instructor said you want to document every single install you help with. You'll make up your own form, possibly based on the one your instructor uses. I use our city PD's form except with my name. It has a liability waiver in it. But she said honestly that won't keep people from trying to sue anyway. All the more reason to make sure the parent is the last one to install the seat!

So for techs like us who aren't covered under another company or do private appointments outside of SK, the liability insurance is not a bad idea. And HPSO is cheap enough that I'm glad I did it. :thumbsup:

Thank Jen. What did they catagorize you under? I have heard health educator. I may try to give them a call tomorrow and get a quote. I did mention to my S.F. Agent that under the new ciriculum that you show the parent/cargiver (whoever the person might be) how to do a proper install and then have them do it so it would be them actually being the last person to install. He said that was definately a good thing.

jenmann21

Senior Community Member
Thank Jen. What did they catagorize you under? I have heard health educator. I may try to give them a call tomorrow and get a quote. I did mention to my S.F. Agent that under the new ciriculum that you show the parent/cargiver (whoever the person might be) how to do a proper install and then have them do it so it would be them actually being the last person to install. He said that was definately a good thing.

Yeah, this new way was always the policy at Clovis PD, where I was certified, but I know other agencies would just do the installs. I definitely want the parent being the last one to touch the seat!

Mine is labeled as Health Educator but then specifies Child Passenger Safety Technician.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the help Jen! I plan on the parent being the last to touch the CR unless they really just cannot get it. In that case I will do it so I know a child is being secured in a properly secured CR. KWIM

jenmann21

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the help Jen! I plan on the parent being the last to touch the CR unless they really just cannot get it. In that case I will do it so I know a child is being secured in a properly secured CR. KWIM

Yeah, there are exceptions, obviously. I'll help an elderly grandparent or very preggo mama do the final install if they are alone. My instructor said we can do it together, but that the emphasis is on the parent. On my business cards I put car seat education and training. Not car seat installations. ;) Parents need to understand that we aren't here just to install their seats while they talk on their cell phones and drink their lattes. They need to be active participants in the process.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Incidentally, you cannot waive your right to sue for negligence. Even the best written waiver on a check form is little more than a tool that your lawyer can use as part of your defense. It can still take thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees even to get to the point where the waiver might be used in court. The same is true if you have a good samaritan law that applies to CPS techs in your states (only a few states have them).

If you are reimbursed, hpso is about your only choice.

If you volunteer, some homeowner's/umbrella policies may cover you with or without a separate rider, but be sure to get it in writing.

Some events, like those under a Safe Kids Buckle Up grant, have insurance to cover techs. Unfortunately, most do not :-(

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yeah, there are exceptions, obviously. I'll help an elderly grandparent or very preggo mama do the final install if they are alone. My instructor said we can do it together, but that the emphasis is on the parent. On my business cards I put car seat education and training. Not car seat installations. ;) Parents need to understand that we aren't here just to install their seats while they talk on their cell phones and drink their lattes. They need to be active participants in the process.

Good thinking on the business cards! I just called HPSO and thay are mailing me an application. I would have had them fax it to the shop, but since I am not there to get it Joe's family would be nosey about it or throw it way. I will fax it back to them though. She told me $89/ year also. She also told me ot make sure I fill in a business name. I will probably just use 63 racing since it is a legit business.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Incidentally, you cannot waive your right to sue for negligence. Even the best written waiver on a check form is little more than a tool that your lawyer can use as part of your defense. It can still take thousands or tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees even to get to the point where the waiver might be used in court. The same is true if you have a good samaritan law that applies to CPS techs in your states (only a few states have them).

If you are reimbursed, hpso is about your only choice.

If you volunteer, some homeowner's/umbrella policies may cover you with or without a separate rider, but be sure to get it in writing.

Some events, like those under a Safe Kids Buckle Up grant, have insurance to cover techs. Unfortunately, most do not :-(

Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that about the waiver. I did go ahead and call HPSO and they are sending me an app. My S.F. agent told me I could also call and have a rider added to my homowners, but we may be changing companies in October, so I do not want to do that. (When we bought our house SF was about $400 more than our current ins, but my agent says they have dropped in price quite a bit and is going to quote us again since he has all our policies except H.O.) If we switch to SF for H.O. I may still see about adding an umbrella to the policy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC