Question Scenera ok with out a noodle?

mollysw

I know it's alot better with one but if my 1 year old only rides in it for super short trips is it ok without one? It's pretty straight up and down but it's only a spare for when someone is watching her and they MIGHT go somewhere.

ADS

luckyclov

For a proper installation, until otherwise revised, the Scenera must be installed so that the line is level to the (flat) ground, which usually translates into a 45 degree angle and, generally, requires some noodling (at least for me). If you're comfortable not following manufacturer's instructions, that's your call, but I can't tell you whether or not it's "ok". I can tell you that there are others who choose to install their Sceneras more upright then 45 degrees and are comfortable with it, but I am not one of them.

Devastating crashes can happen on short trips, too. In fact, most motor vehicle accidents don't happen too terribly far from home.

If it were *me*, I wouldn't risk it. My kids ride in properly installed, properly used child seats every ride. Even 6 houses down the street in a private subdivision to my BFFs house. :)

Pixels

You should be able to install the seat at the proper angle without using noodles. You'll just wedge the lip of the seat by baby's feet into the vehicle seat back. It can take a little practice, but once you get it down it's nice not to have to mess around with noodles.

mollysw

I though Dorel said it was ok to install more upright? The reason it'd be nice without the noodle is cus it's just the spare and my husband or sister in law might be installing it and they wouldn't do it right with a noodle. They don't even get ERF.

Ladyl

I personally would not be comfortable with a scenera as a back up in this situation. It is tricky to install. If my kids was to ride in a seat installed by someone who didn't quite get carseat safety, I would want a seat that is easy to install.

ETA: Can you pre-install the seat at all? I have had good results jamming it into the back off the seat.

mollysw

Well what's a good spare seat that's light and portable like the Scenera that wouldn't require a stupid noodle? And hopefully easy to install for people that are not what I would consider *experts*.

mollysw

I personally would not be comfortable with a scenera as a back up in this situation. It is tricky to install. If my kids was to ride in a seat installed by someone who didn't quite get carseat safety, I would want a seat that is easy to install.

ETA: Can you pre-install the seat at all? I have had good results jamming it into the back off the seat.

I could sometimes. But I work from early in the morning until afternoon. And there are gonna be times when my husband has someone watch her and there is no other way around someone else installing the seat :confused:

mollysw

What is your budget?

I'd be willing to shell out about 100 bucks for a seat. Maybe. That sucks though with the Scenera being so cheap! I would use my MyRide but with the buckle being so difficult I'm afraid of even more misuse there. I was thinking about getting the Roundabout before I bought the Scenera today.

mominabigtruck

I'd be willing to shell out about 100 bucks for a seat. Maybe. That sucks though with the Scenera being so cheap! I would use my MyRide but with the buckle being so difficult I'm afraid of even more misuse there. I was thinking about getting the Roundabout before I bought the Scenera today.

How about an efta? It's an easy install and infinite adjust harness. I got one for my mom at baby depot for $85 and that was without a coupon or anything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keeanh

The Scenera, like almost all Dorel seats, is supposed to be coming out with dual level lines at some point to allow for a more upright install. I'm personally comfortable using mine more upright.

Here's how you install a Scenera without a noodle:

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

mollysw

The Scenera, like almost all Dorel seats, is supposed to be coming out with dual level lines at some point to allow for a more upright install. I'm personally comfortable using mine more upright.

Here's how you install a Scenera without a noodle:

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

So would you just keep the seat? I know people can't tell me it's "ok" like a xray tech can't tell you what they see lol. But if they ARE changing the lines wouldn't that make it ok?

Pixels

AFAIK they haven't said that the Scenera will have the dual level lines. Some seats will, some won't.

mollysw

http://carseatblog.com/13201/more-info-on-dorels-new-rear-facing-recline-range-for-convertibles/

The blog reports that according to Dorel's response when asked what seats would get the dual lines, they stated that the goal was to have them on all convertible seats by April 2012, with the Pria being the only exception due to the Tiny Fit insert.

Well according to that the Scenera will be allowed to be installed at 30 degrees and the seat will not be any different so that sounds like an ok to me.

mollysw

You should be able to install the seat at the proper angle without using noodles. You'll just wedge the lip of the seat by baby's feet into the vehicle seat back. It can take a little practice, but once you get it down it's nice not to have to mess around with noodles.

I did this and it was super easy. It didn't move a centimeter lol. But if someone else installs it it's not gonna happen.

luckyclov

Though it may be on Dorel's agenda in the *future*, there is no plan for the Scenera to be equipped with the double level line at this point in time. Therefore, it still needs to be level-to-ground for proper installation until otherwise revised/updated.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it *is* possible for a proper installation of the Scenera without the use of noodle(s), but it's easier for *me* with noodle(s). I may be the oddball, though.;)

Evenflo, unless it's already been revised, also requires a level-to-vehicle floor line for proper installation (meaning, you don't have full 30-45 degree range). So, you're potentially in the same boat with an EFTA (as someone suggested) - more fiddling for proper angle OR possible noodle use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC