up a slot or not?

momtoesther

Should I move the harness straps up one or are they fine? They are right at her shoulders.

DSC03575.JPG

I bought the Maestro today as a day care seat (only used a couple times a month) and I am very happy with it so far. Her other seat is a Frontier XT but I couldn't afford another one. My DD has close to two harness slots yet so I hope it will fit for a while. How is the Maestro as a booster?

ETA. Has anyone installed on of these in a captain's chair of a 2006 Grand Caravan? I won't see the day care provider until next week and I'm curious how easy it will be to install. I'm hoping it is easy since it will go in and out a lot.

ADS

luckyclov

Yep, I'd move it up. I always prefer to have my harness *above* the shoulders for FFing (ass opposed to at/above) and *below* (as opposed to at/below) for RFing.

She is adorable...I love her glasses.:)

I do not have experience with the Maestro in a GC, but I was able to successfully install an Evenflo Chase in a 2005/2006 Caravan. The vehicle seats in the previous generation Chrysler minivans are pretty child seat friendly, I bet you won't have any difficulties.

momtoesther

hmmm...I moved it up and now they seem like they are at her ears...how high is too high? I wish they slots were closer together.

Glad to hear about the ease of install though.

Shaunam

They won't be too high in the next slot. In any case, too high is always better than too low. Too high really isn't a safety issue, too low is. You may notice that once the seat is installed in the car, she'll lose room and the next slot won't seem nearly as high. I would install it, then try it out again.

aeormsby

A lot of times when seats get installed they seem to loose some harness height. So I'd definitely move it up, and I bet it won't seem so close to her ears after it's been installed.

And for a seat not in your own vehicle I'd also keep it higher so you don't have to worry about watching it closely (since you won't be the one using it).

luckyclov

A FFing harness's job is to hold the child *back* in a crash, so as long as the harness and chest clip are positioned and used properly, she's perfectly fine (and safe) in a harness so high it may look awkward to you. I would much rather have a harness a little on the higher side (FFing) vs. cutting it close to shoulder level or a hair below shoulder level.

ericarizo

Very cute little lady. The Maestro installed great in the captains chair of my 05 GC. Is that a new pattern? I have not seen that one before.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
She is adorable! Move it up a slot, and it will be fine! Fits great in a GC, just remember that the Top Tether must be routed UNDER the headrest, and down to the Tether Anchor :)

tracee877

Um, am I the only one THRILLED to see that Evenflo changed buckles?? I hate that old triangular one. This one looks like the new Graco ones!

Jillybeans5

tracee877 said:
Um, am I the only one THRILLED to see that Evenflo changed buckles?? I hate that old triangular one. This one looks like the new Graco ones!

I am thrilled, that is one of the few things I don't like about my maestro, it was one of the reasons I chose the momentum over the triumph 65. I always feel like I'm going to pinch their little tummies with that triangle buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC