Car rear ended-grrr

babychild taxi

Hi,

I was rear ended on my way home from work yesterday. It could have been much worse but there is damage to my rear bumper and slightly to my front bumper as the car that hit me pushed me forward to the car in front of me (who decided to take off). I got all the necessary info from the guy that hit me and he seemed quite concerned for my well being and was very cooperative.

So, I have to report the accident to the provincial insurance company today. I am not feeling any significant pain which is good, however, I'm wondering what to do about the car seats in my car (Radian, Regal Ride-installed with LATCH and tether and a Parkway, stored/wedged in front of Radian and driver's seat back. Is the insurance company to pay for replacement seats?

Any help/input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

K.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
All carseats that were in the vehicle will be replaced by the insurance company. We're in the midst of doing this as well. I got rear-ended last Thursday.

Edited to add: Depending on the age of the carseat, they may prorate the cost of a new one. You will also need to replace like seats... ie: booster for a booster, 5pt for a 5pt.

I had a Radian (dom jan '07) and a Marathon (dom Oct '05), they are replacing full cost on the Radian and 90% cost on the Marathon. I need to go purchase the new seats and they will re-imburse me once I submit receipts. I'm replacing both seats with Radian Premiere's.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Everyone I know who has been involved in a crash has been able to get ICBC to reimburse them for seats involved in a crash, occupied or not. In fact--my friend wrote off an AOE and ICBC paid for a Marathon replacement! They're really good about seats! Sometimes the adjusters aren't aware of seat replacement policy, but their supervisors should be.

-N.

snowbird25ca

Sorry about the accident and glad that you're not seriously injured.

Depending on what province your in and what the provincial insurance laws are like, the car seat that wasn't installed but only being transported may not be eligible for replacement but the other 2 should definitely be covered.
Best of luck as you contact the insurance company. From what I've heard some provinces with provincial insurance are better at dealing expeditiously with claims than others.

p.s. Let us know if that 3rd car-seat is replaced or not. I actually called my insurance company with a what-if question and she wasn't completely sure how that 3rd uninstalled seat would be handled in a claim if it wasn't damaged since it would be considered contents. The gray area though, is that seats are considered damaged whether you can see it or not though, so I think you'd have a case for pushing them into replacing the seat.

(I've been debating in my head provincial insurance laws and whether that 3rd seat would be covered and finally called for a 2nd opinion... lol. I used to underwrite home and auto insurance policies and answered a lot of "would this be covered" questions, but car seats are more complex than other content, so I'm really not sure how it will end up being handled - plus your in a province with different laws than me. So I'm just personally curious about how they handle that 3rd seat. :thumbsup: )

babychild taxi

Hi-thanks to you all for your advice. I have an appt. with the adjuster next week. Do you think I should leave the seats in the car the way they were in the accident?

I'm hoping not to have any difficulty with seat replacement. Most of the "little people" I drive are in foster care, so you think ICBC won't mess with that extra liability.

My back is a bit sore in the middle section. I'll keep monitoring and I see my Dr. on Mon anyway.

My seats are a Jan. 07 Radian, Jan. 06 Regal Ride and a March 06 Britax Parkway-still fairly new.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Again,

K.

QuassEE

You shouldn't have to wait for your appointment. Call the adjuster, verbally have him or her agree to reimburse you for seat replacement, and go get your seats. Just make sure you do talk to the adjuster beforehand so you don't have any problems later. They should also be able to cut a cheque for the seats within a day.

I'm curious about their policy on boosters, as well--they might treat them differently than the harnessed seats...so be sure to ask.

-N.

babychild taxi

Hi N.

Thanks for your response. I'm hoping to meet you one day soon as you live near me and are friends with the person who bought my 1st Radian.

I may be able to find a Regal Ride at a Canadian Tire, but if not, what seats would you recommend for my back seat-2002 Echo, 4 doors, LATCH. I'd like to get a new Radian from the Insurance, keep/replace the Parkway and get a new 3rd seat from insurance. Since baby is not small anymore (30lbs at 15 mos!), I could go with a combo booster. I have to watch what kind because some seats if placed beside the booster can make it tricky for me to buckle up kiddos. Of course narrow is key in this situation.

Any help you/others have would be great

K.

QuassEE

The Echo actually has a larger backseat than the Corolla I had! I think it's larger by about 4" (www.edmunds.com lists "rear hip room" stats.) You had two harnessed seats and got a good fit with the Radian, correct? Why not replace the two with two new Radians, then? Recent experience with them suggests that they will reimburse you 100% for two Radians in exchange for the Radian and RR. You might want to ask your adjuster if you can take the Radian cover off as a spare--if Linda Reid already has a crashed Radian in her teaching collection it's probably fine. There's no point in destroying a perfectly good cover!

Our paths may cross one day.. I live in Sunshine Hills.

-N.

babychild taxi

Hi N,

Yes, I've thought of that, except when I tried to place the Parkway in the middle (normal space) and the Radian beside it to the right, it was next to impossible to get the belt done up on the Parkway due to a lack of room/acces space. I am able to get it done with the RR due to the shape of the seat. I like having my harnessed seats installed with LATCH because I get a better fit.

Comments are welcome!

K.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC