Any other option?

UHMama

So I went to USA Baby to put a radian 80 and 2 marathons on layaway. Out of habit I put the girls in the seats to see how they fit. The twins of course fit fine in the marathons, but Trinity is 1 inch from the TOP slots on the radian! The top slots are almost exactly the same as the marathon she's in now! What now? I have a 98 altima. I can currently fit 2 rf sceneras and a turbobooster back there. Is there any other seat I can fit back there with 2 rf marathons? I want to keep her harnessed as long as possible. She is between 50 and 55lbs and is 48in tall. Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I wanted to ask a question about those EZ on harnesses. Would one of these be approriate in my case? Also, can I use it along with the turbobooster so that she has the added protection of the seat shell? Thanks again!

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
What about putting two Radians in RF to buy yourself a little more room? For 3 across I can't think of what else might work other then the Radians.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
I know on the Radian80, the shoulders can go above the harness slots until the tops of the ears are level with the top of the back of the child restraint. This is also true of the Regent.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I know on the Radian80, the shoulders can go above the harness slots until the tops of the ears are level with the top of the back of the child restraint. This is also true of the Regent.

Not so per the Regent manual. On page 6 of the .pdf version/page 4 of the hard copy revised manual, it states the maximum height criteria, one of which is that the Regent is outgrown once the top slots are below the child's shoulders. http://www.britaxusa.net/support/Regent_R2.pdf.pdf

This is vitally important stuff with which techs and advocates need to be familiar and accurate to properly help other parents with questions, especially in light of the Regent consumer advisory. In your position as an officer/representative of a foundation who provides Regents to needy families, it's extra important to disseminate accurate info. about proper usage to parents. :twocents:

scatterbunny

I don't know of any HWH seat that will work in a three-across with two Marathons in an Altima, except the Radian.

How big is Trinity? My daughter is about an inch below the top slots of the Radian at 49 inches tall and 51 pounds, and I'd guess she'd have a year before her shoulders went over the top slots, BUT the seat was so short, it stopped mid-thigh. Her hips were also jammed into the seat, and she is not a wide kid; she's tall and skinny. The straps dug into her neck. She complained about it, and I really, really wanted us both to love the seat. I am not entirely comfortable with the OK from SKJP to use the seats with shoulders over top slots, and even if I were okay with it from a safety standpoint, there's no way Hayley could stand using it with shoulders over top slots, from a comfort standpoint. The straps already bug her and they're an inch over her shoulders; they'd dig in even more if she was over the slots.

I think it would be a good choice for the younger kids, though, freeing up space for a larger seat for Trinity.

Last edited:

UHMama

I hadn't thought of getting 2 radians instead of marathons. I guess because I personally don't like them, lol. But if it will keep Trinity harnessed longer, I guess I can deal with it! Does anyone know if USA Baby will let you take carseats to your car to see if they'll fit?

canadianmom2three

Just to give the opposite side of the story, my DD aged 7.5 LOVES the radian, and is constantly trying to get out of riding in her large and comfy confidence booster by jamming herself in the radian and showing me how she still fits...of course at 70lbs she is over by weight, and her ears are just at the top of the seatback, but believe me, if I would let her, she'd be in it in a minute. When we first got it she was under the weight and just at the top slots, and she rode in it all the time when her little brother was not in the car. Here is a pic of her at 7 yo, 51" tall with a torso height of 17" - her shoulders are just at the top slots...

IMGP1709.jpg

For contrast, here is DS aged 4.5 45" tall with a 15" torso height

strapheight.jpg

UHMama

I would love to be able to get her in a radian, but I can't spend that much money when she's 3 inches from the 51" height limit.

I NEED A NEW CAR!!! LOL! I bet I could fit a regent and 2 marathons in the new tacoma that has the reclining back seats, lol!

scatterbunny

Stated height limits are not set in stone like stated weight limits; this is because all kids carry height differently, some all in the torso, others all in the legs, others are evenly proportioned. A long-torsoed child can often outgrow seats BEFORE the stated height limit, because shoulders over top slots=seat outgrown. A short-torsoed child can ofte remain in a harnessed seat safely even over the stated height limit, because that child's torso is short enough that shoulders are still below top slots. Two children who are both 48 inches tall can fit the exact same seat VERY differently because of torso height. Leg length has no bearing whatsoever on how a child fits a carseat, it's all about sitting height.

Still, I can see why you'd be hesitant to get a Radian for her at this stage (especially if she fits like my daughter, in the pics I posted earlier).

How tight is the Scenera/Scenera/TurboBooster configuration right now? Replacing the Sceneras with Marathons will add about 2-3 inches of carseat; will that make it hard/impossible to fit/buckle the TurboBooster?

I'd think about Radians for the younger two, especially if they will be forward-facing. You'll just gain a lot more room for Trinity's seat (whatever it may be) that way. If you're really lucky a Regent might fit with two Radians, but the Altima isn't particularly roomy in the back, widthwise, so maybe not. A Safeguard child seat (not the Go) is a bit narrower than the Regent and has taller top slots than a Radian (but not as tall as a Regent) might work for Trinity, but it's pricey for only 2-3 years of use. An E-Z-ON 86-Y harness+booster might be the best choice, but realize it will probably involve you helping her get in/out of it (not as easy to do for kids themselves as a harnessed carseat or booster alone). I'm considering an 86-Y for our single-cab truck, so we can use the lapbelt-only spot in the center with a highback booster. It's a wonderful option when others just won't work due to budget, child size or space contraints.

UHMama

Thanks Jenney, you're so helpful!

The carseats are crammed back there, lol. I mean completely crammed. The middle scenera is pushed into the side scenera in order for the turbobooster to barely fit. The scenera is about 1inch from the door and the turbo booster is a 1/2 inch from the edge of the seat, but the arm rest does barely touch the door. Not much though because when I shut the door it doesn't move the carseat.

The radians would actually be RF. The twins are only 7months old, and I want to keep them RF as long as possible. Does anyone have any clue as to how a regent and 2 radians would fit?

I think I may just end up getting the radians for the twins, putting them outboard, and then getting a ez-on harness and putting trinity in the middle with that and her turbobooster. How does that sound?

scatterbunny

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=19056

That thread has photos of a small child and a larger child in the 86-Y and a booster.

Rear-facing Radians will take up less room than forward-facing Radians, and at 7 months they can be rear-facing for quite awhile, so that will help in fitting another seat for your older daughter. The Radians are only about 14.5 inches wide at the base, which will be the only part of the seat on the vehicle seat when rear-facing. They are 17 inches wide at the widest point, the shoulder area, which is still narrower than the Scenera's widest point.

Just so you know ~ I drive a 97 Altima, I currently have a Husky and a MA (FF'ing) on the outboard sides, I don't know that I could squeeze anything inbetween.

~ Shannon
CPST
DS 4/00
DD 7/03

scatterbunny

I think I'd go with the 86-Y model over the Kid-Y model, because the 86-Y is more versatile; it can be used with ANY booster on the market. The Kid-Y must be used with the RideRyte booster, which is wide.

jclaire

I think I'd go with the 86-Y model over the Kid-Y model, because the 86-Y is more versatile; it can be used with ANY booster on the market. The Kid-Y must be used with the RideRyte booster, which is wide.

I agree. The RideRyte booster did not fit in our car seats correctly so I've now ordered the 86Y so that I can use it with the Compass B510.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC