Peg-Perego and a preemie?

cookie123

I'm wondering, do these mix? I have a family with triplets. One is very small. Likely will be going home around 4 or 4.5 lbs, I'd guess. They have the triple stroller frame and the 3 PP's they got used from a family with triplets born last year.

ADS

zactayaus

I find that the chest clip is very big and wide and doesn't allow the shoulder straps to get close enough to the baby's neck for my likings (and that is on average size newbs).

Last edited:

cookie123

Thanks. Good to know. Sadly, it will be unlikely that they'd purchase another seat, let alone 3 of them. Unless at the car seat test, they're told to, which is also pretty unlikely.

Are you involved with car seat tests at all? Just curious.

Anybody who knows: Are there other seats that would fit in this frame? Is there only one triplet frame?

canadiangie

Far from ideal. But a lot of multiple families do Pegs because of the Duette and Triplette chassis/seat system. They think it will be ... handy. :eek:

The IMMI chest clip tends to position the harness too wide over tiny shoulders, and baby's head will swim in the headwings. Baby will need a crotch roll for a long time. And rolled rec'ing blankets along baby's sides. Basically yes, you can make it work, but it's probably my least favourite seat for a tiny baby. Not to mention the min weight on current models is 5 pounds.

Eta: no, you cannot add different seats to the Triplette. It's essentially a flat platform with little bars for the SIP's to attach to. It's very Peg specific.

mominabigtruck

I agree that the pv doesn't fit even an average noob that great.

But you can use different seats on the triplette, you just have to be resourceful. I had an older one with the square hoods and my dad fixed it so we could use it with two ss1s and a toddler seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

zactayaus

Thanks. Good to know. Sadly, it will be unlikely that they'd purchase another seat, let alone 3 of them. Unless at the car seat test, they're told to, which is also pretty unlikely.

Are you involved with car seat tests at all? Just curious.

Anybody who knows: Are there other seats that would fit in this frame? Is there only one triplet frame?

I don't perform the car seat tests but I do help the nurses get the baby's in their seats properly from time to time (if I happen to be in the nursery when the tests are going on). Basically they strap the little ones into there seats (attached to the base). Then they monitor baby for 90 continuous minutes for heart rate, breathing, and oxygen level and that's pretty much it.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I agree with the others who say it's far from ideal but with triplets it's likely that they won't be going out very often in the beginning. And we know babies tend to grow fast so hopefully you can find some ways to help them fit as best as possible in these seats.

Honestly, my biggest concern (and the one I would be stressing the most) is how the design of this particular infant seat can push the child's head forward. Teach them what to be on the lookout for (slumping can make it worse so using a crotch roll every time if needed is a very good suggestion), tell them to restrict the usage of the carseats to time spent in the car if forward head slumping is an issue, and suggest that someone sit in the back if possible to monitor them during each ride.

Make sure they understand the difference between head slumping to the side (which isn't usually an issue) and slumping forward, which is. I always make the parents put their own heads in those positions so they can feel the difference firsthand.

You can also send them the link to the blog we did on the subject which includes a nice video using the preemie doll. However, if you think it's going to stress/freak them out because their seats aren't preemie friendly at all and they have no resources to get different seats then maybe you should just offer to help them make the best of what they have. Newbie parents with multiples tend to already be stressed to the max and I hate to add to their burden, kwim?

Anyhow, preemie/multiples blog with video is here: http://carseatblog.com/9813/recomme...ies-multiples-carseatblogs-list-of-best-bets/

FYI - we'll be updating this blog soon to add some of the newer preemie-friendly seats to the recommended list.

canadiangie

I agree that the pv doesn't fit even an average noob that great.

But you can use different seats on the triplette, you just have to be resourceful. I had an older one with the square hoods and my dad fixed it so we could use it with two ss1s and a toddler seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I'm President of the mod a stroller to make a seat work club. Trust me.

But cookie is a NICU nurse iirc, and I'm sure she can't suggest make-shifting a few kf's onto the chassis by use of blow torch and bungee cord. Kwim. ;)

cookie123

I thought I remembered a head slump issue. Yes, I know it's rated to 5 lbs. The other 2 might be 5 lbs by discharge.

Oh, and good to know some soddering, etc will work to make other seats fit!
I can't image taking out that triplet thing at all. I wonder if triplet moms ever take out the 3 kiddos by themselves when the kids are little.

Thanks everyone for the info. zac - you didn't have a thanks button on your post, so I repped you. Actually, I'm not sure when to do which.

mominabigtruck

Oh I'm President of the mod a stroller to make a seat work club. Trust me.

But cookie is a NICU nurse iirc, and I'm sure she can't suggest make-shifting a few kf's onto the chassis by use of blow torch and bungee cord. Kwim. ;)

No bungee cords or welding, I swear. He attached some extra bars with screws that snapped into place when you unfolded it and the seat snapped in like on a grocery cart.

And I will have you know that bungee cords and duct tape are a girl's best friend;)
Posted via Mobile Device

cookie123

mominabigtruck;2051299 And I will have you know that bungee cords and duct tape are a girl's best friend;) [size=1 said:
Posted via Mobile Device[/size]

LOL! True that, as the youngsters around here say.

I recall a friend of mine that had twins (now 30 yo!) dumped them together in some sort of buggy back in the day. It seemed to work well. They had their GM love seats for in the car.:)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I thought I remembered a head slump issue.
I can't image taking out that triplet thing at all. I wonder if triplet moms ever take out the 3 kiddos by themselves when the kids are little.

Very rarely if they can help it. Most families with triplets have help for the first few months (friends/family members/church volunteers/paid help/etc). I'm friends with 3 different families who have triplets and none of the moms went anywhere alone with the babies when they were little. If anything they wait for dad to get home in the evening before going out ALONE (sanity saver trips) to run errands. All 3 families that I'm friends with wound up using one double and one single stroller instead of a triplet stroller. The triple strollers are generally a nightmare to maneuver and getting them in and out of the back of a vehicle (even a minivan) is a pain.

One family spent the big bucks on the triple babyjogger before the babies were born and then wound up using it only a handful of times. The easiest thing for them wound up being a single and a double snap-n-go used with their KeyFits.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Yeah I agree, for reference I asked a friend if I could use her son's pic, here he is coming home - full term, 7 lb 13 oz and 21"

Also, he was born in 2008, not sure if they've changed the PV at all since then.

n193902303_30921361_9853.jpg

zactayaus

I thought I remembered a head slump issue. Yes, I know it's rated to 5 lbs. The other 2 might be 5 lbs by discharge.

Oh, and good to know some soddering, etc will work to make other seats fit!

Thanks everyone for the info. zac - you didn't have a thanks button on your post, so I repped you. Actually, I'm not sure when to do which.

Hmm, I wonder why I don't have a thanks button?:confused:

Rep is worth way more any way!:D Thanks!

cookie123

The family brought in the Pegs for the car seat test. On all 3 of them the chest clips are very hard to do and practically impossible to do. Looking at them, they look a bit weird - like either the top piece is pointing down to close to the middle piece or vice versa. Mom says the former triplet mom said they'd always been hard to do. Is this normal.

Trip #2, the 3 lber is now 4.5 lbs. They told mom the Peg wouldn't work for him at the car seat test. She now plans to use the Keyfit for him, as he's going home today. They didn't go to the test, and asked how to put him in. I showed them, and really, the kid must have no shoulders because the harness wouldn't stay on it very well. Next we put #1 who is now getting close to 6 lbs in the Peg. It fit him pretty well, besides needing a crotch roll and side rolls. Yes, the chest clip is huge. His shoulders were even with the bottom harness slot position.

Question is, what can be done about the chest clip?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
The best advice in this case is to call the manufacturer and see what they can suggest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC