Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RF and planes.

RF and planes.

Have anyone here install a Radian RF in a plane?
    Lourdes
    mom to Amanda Victoria 6 y/o in a Graco Turbobooster and Sofia Victoria 5 m/o in a Safety 1st On Board 35 Air

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Tried, but it was upright to the point of ridiculousness. I had to turn dd ffing on the flight bc it would not have worked, she would have been super uncomfortable.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Car-Seat.Org
    Rachel
    DD (7/08) ~52 lbs, 47" in a Cowmoo Frontier85
    DS (4/11) ~32 lbs, 39" in an XTSL
    DS (2/13) ~22 lbs, 33" in an RXT

Carseat Crazy

Re: RF and planes.

I have, but it was very upright. I only kept it RFing because it kept toys/books/blankets on her lap more and so she could look at me and we could play. And she did not want to be FFing

I would never take a Radian on the plane if it had to be RFing for a younger baby who needed it reclined. But I love the Radian for FFing
    J, 7 yrs, 41 lbs, Evenflo Big Kid, Recaro Prosport, Turbo SS
    A, 5 yrs, 31 lbs, RF TFP/Princess Radian, and FF SecureKid/Maestro
    M, >1yr, RF TFP/Radian

I have. I was not able to use the RFing boot (required for RFing, I made the parental decision not to use it only because we were on a plane). I used the FFing recline and RF tethered the seat so it was stable. Even so, add in the natural slope of the plane, and planes aren't perfectly level when they fly, usually the tail is a bit below the nose, and DD was extremely upright. I had to hold her head up when she slept. On another flight, I put her FFing, and she was more reclined than she had been RFing.

If you get a bulkhead seat, it might work better. That will depend on how far the first row of seats is from the bulkhead.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

CPS Technician

When we traveled earlier this month I didn't even bother trying -- it just didn't seem like with the RFing boot it would be possible. However, DS fell asleep on the ride home and his head kept falling forward, so I am going to bring the angle adjuster (assuming I can get my hands on one!) and try it with that on our next trip early next month.

Carseat Crazy

I didn't try. Dd was 3 when we got it but I heard that it works only if you have a bulkhead seat.

You can push the seat in front slightly forward, if no one is in that seat. Don't push it all the way down (even if you can). Messes up the electronics.

Ffing, you can recline the airplane seat and scootch the Radian forward. This wil allow your LO to sleep in a somewhat reclined position. No, not as safe and not for take-off and landing but as long as s/he is strapped in, they're protected from turbulence.
    Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies in 5 countries
    3 trilingual, international travelers with two nationalities
    http://flyingwithchildren1.blogspot.com

8. Thank You from:

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

For a child your daughter's age, I would FF on the plane.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipsepearl View Post
    I didn't try. Dd was 3 when we got it but I heard that it works only if you have a bulkhead seat.

You can push the seat in front slightly forward, if no one is in that seat. Don't push it all the way down (even if you can). Messes up the electronics.

Ffing, you can recline the airplane seat and scootch the Radian forward. This wil allow your LO to sleep in a somewhat reclined position. No, not as safe and not for take-off and landing but as long as s/he is strapped in, they're protected from turbulence.
    Sorry to get off-topic, OP, but I almost posted a thread about the bolded.

We reclined the seat all the way back and his head was still falling forward -- but I didn't use the FF recline. Does the FF recline make a big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by mrosehughes

Sorry to get off-topic, OP, but I almost posted a thread about the bolded.

We reclined the seat all the way back and his head was still falling forward -- but I didn't use the FF recline. Does the FF recline make a big difference?
    When I did it, I reclined the plane seat, used the FF recline, and pulled the base of the Radian forward before installing. The install was marginal with the seat reclined, then I put it upright for taxi, takeoff, and landing and it was tight. With the RN installed this way she couldn't use the tray table but the trade-off was worth it to me.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three