Insurance replacement of car seat question

fusionrx

About 2 months ago wife rolled our SUV ( http://picasaweb.google.com/fusionrx/JimmyRollover ) after a guy in an Mini Cooper pulled out in front of her. She was only person in car, was wearing her seatbelt, and walked away without even so much as a bruise. Insurance has been easy to work with, and they have replaced one car seat (Britax Regent for a Britax Regent) already (car seats aren't safe after an accident and should be changed out for new. Insurance does cover this!).

We have not yet replaced the Britax Marathon, and since my daughters approaching the limit on this one, we were considering moving to a larger chair like a Regent (or the radian 80) so we don't have to shell out $$ again in a few months to go to a bigger chair...

Would the insurance company care if we replaced the carseat that was 'written off' by something of equivalent value (ie. Radian 80?).

Anyone have any experience in this arena?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Many times, the insurance company doesn't even look at what you had, they just reimburse you for the receipt you provide for the new seat.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
When we crashed they didn't care. We crashed about 4 years ago and we were using Fisher Price Safe Embrace ($100 seats). We couldn't find them and we need built-in locking clips. We had one set of seats and moved them often and we had older cars. DH explained to the guy that he should be thankful that they didn't have to pay any medical bills and that we wanted Britax and even though it was more we should be able to get them. They bought us 2 RAs which were $220 each.

Also another friend of mine was in a crash and she only replaced one of her 2 carseats because they didn't have a need to replace the other one right at that point. They just put the money in the bank. The infant seat and one booster were in the crash. They moved the baby to the convertibles which they already had and bought a new booster for the older one.

Stefanie

dalmatian21

The one time I've had to replace a car seat that had been in my car (not installed, just had it along *in case* I had to transport my niece while my parents were out of town) I had to argue with the insurance company that the car seat needed replaced. They kept trying to tell me there wasn't enough damage to the car for the seat to need replaced -- but I stood my ground!

They told me to go and replace the car seat and submit the receipt to them and they'd cut me a check for the amount. There was no way I as going to be able to get the same seat (couldn't even tell what it was, or what I got to replace it) because it was getting close to it's expiration date.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC