Had a WTH moment today in the pick up line

mominabigtruck

Generally at my kids school seat usage is non existent, very rarely I'l see a 7mo in an expired ohs but that's about it. But today I was totally shocked to see a new blvd in the car in front of me. I was like, omg, and it was actually an older child in it cause I could see their arms. And then I pulled over in the parking lot to buckle ds2 in and they drove past me and next to the blvd was a century ohs missing the cover.

Seriously, wth?? I just wonder what goes through peoples' minds to look at that and it seem normal. Is it strange that I find this to be weird?

Oh, and both seats were buckled in and tethered.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

jjordan

I agree, that's weird.

Maybe it's some situation like, the driver owns a BV for her own kid and was transporting a neighbor's kid for the day, and the neighbor gave her the old seat and the driver didn't have anything else to use for the "borrowed" kid.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I had a family come through a seat check once where a 6 year old was in a new Parkway, the 13 month old was in a new Boulevard, and the 3 year old was in a 14 year old, very dirty, twisted straps Century. I had to just scratch my head at that.

tam_shops

Oh, if we get to play favourites w/ car seats, can I my 2yo, on the roof of my car in the expired found it on the side of the road baseless Evenflo and ODS back in his RN RF, cause I swear it'd be safer for all of us b/c I'm going to crash the car one day from his screaming! ;)

Seriously, my guess would have been 2 different families also, even a daycare child. Though, really, these days it could be the seat bought before mom/dad lost their job(s) and the seat they knew they needed after job loss and someone gave them a free one and it's better than nothing...A *bad* like really bad seat, is better than nothing, right? I'd walk/bus first, just curious...

tam

VoodooChile

canadiangie said:
Oh that's simple. The 3 year old was their least favourite. :p

"Billy, you stayed on green today, so you get the good seat. Timmy, I see you were on red. Into the bad seat with you, young man."
Sounds like a moment in a therapist's office just waiting to happen, doesn't it?

mominabigtruck

Seriously, my guess would have been 2 different families also, even a daycare child. Though, really, these days it could be the seat bought before mom/dad lost their job(s) and the seat they knew they needed after job loss and someone gave them a free one and it's better than nothing...A *bad* like really bad seat, is better than nothing, right? I'd walk/bus first, just curious...

tam

See, I don't get this. I am an avid thrift store, garage saler and I always see tons of decent seats that are reasonably priced. Yes, there is some scary stuff out there (the 15yo gerry bucket in my trunk right now) but if you really can't afford even a scenera there are options out there.

I know we say not to buy used ever but the reality is that people do, alot of times because they truly can't afford a $50 scenera. I was at my favorite thrift store this week and they probably had half a dozen seats in nice condition with all the working parts, not expired for less than $15.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jenny

sounds like a situation my dd experienced.

A Mom took my dd for a playdate. Both her children rode in britaxes. I trusted her when she said she had an extra carseat -- thinking she is like minded to me.
I felt funny asking her for the brand of seat (this was about 4 yrs ago prior to my knowledge of CRS)

well she had a 17- 20 year old car seat that her neighbor gave her. it was the neighbor;s dd seat. The DD was 20 yo!!

so yes, my dd rode in a junky old car seat with a blanket as a cover since the cover was in bad shape, while her kids stayed safe in their new seats.
I was so upset, I actually broke up the friendship after this.
you dont need to be truly CRS educated to know that is probably a bad idea. SO yes, I can see this happening but i still dont get it.

Phineasmama

sounds like a situation my dd experienced.

A Mom took my dd for a playdate. Both her children rode in britaxes. I trusted her when she said she had an extra carseat -- thinking she is like minded to me.
I felt funny asking her for the brand of seat (this was about 4 yrs ago prior to my knowledge of CRS)

well she had a 17- 20 year old car seat that her neighbor gave her. it was the neighbor;s dd seat. The DD was 20 yo!!

so yes, my dd rode in a junky old car seat with a blanket as a cover since the cover was in bad shape, while her kids stayed safe in their new seats.
I was so upset, I actually broke up the friendship after this.
you dont need to be truly CRS educated to know that is probably a bad idea. SO yes, I can see this happening but i still dont get it.

:eek:

that is really bad!!!

tam_shops

Jenny, :eek: So sorry! I'd go crazy! I've only let ODS go on one playdate (direct from school) and I explicitly asked which seat they had, explaining that he had a long torso and only fit harnessed in a few seats, but wasn't booster weight yet. Normally I have a spare seat, but he's in it right now so...it worked out though, she left her DD at a neighbours and put him in her Frontier...I'm glad you said this as I'd have assumed the same thing w/ a few people, but you really never know, some people don't buy the top brands b/c they think they are safer, they buy them b/c it looks good...

tam

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC