*SAFE* travel DVD options?

todzwife

We didn't want to pay the additional 2 grand for the RES option in our new van and the kids are already complaining that it doesn't have a DVD player (spoiled kids!) I'm thinking about grabbing a couple travel DVD players at a black friday sale, but is there any safe way to attach them to the car?

ADS

gigi

You finally convinced your husband to divorce Subaru????? You must be so happy to have the van!

I am interested also in the DVD options...I just give my son an iPod to watch, but now that I have 2 kids I'm considering my options...

lourdes

i am going to buy one at kmart's black friday sale that it has industrial velcro, at least that's what the sale's man said, is a dual dvd that attaches to the head rest, i don't think that there is a safe travel dvd but.........

mominabigtruck

Go to the auto section at walmart and get some bungee cords or ratcheting tie downs, depending on how it attaches to the seat.

I had a pair of disney dvd players and the velcro lasted all of a week until they started falling down. With the tie downs you don't have to worry about the kids messing with them and they are rated to hold them down in a crash.
Posted via Mobile Device

valleyfam

i am going to buy one at kmart's black friday sale that it has industrial velcro, at least that's what the sale's man said, is a dual dvd that attaches to the head rest, i don't think that there is a safe travel dvd but.........

Be careful if it is the ones we got....1. You can not change the dvd without taking down the whole thing ... total pain....I hate them!! and 2. They absolutely will not stay straight and it takes nothing for kids to knock them down. They're terrible! I really want the RCA ones that the velcro strap routes thru the back of the dvd player and around the head rest. We basically never use ours because I despise them so.

Chely7425

We had 2 DVD players attached with buckles to the headrests when we got hit by a semi, they stayed in place. We bought the same set again.

luckyclov

We had 2 DVD players attached with buckles to the headrests when we got hit by a semi, they stayed in place. We bought the same set again.
I have the same set as her for my RFer. Unless she got a new set since I PMed her last summer. :p

Cath3114

I have ours in a case that snaps together around the headrest. I have also secured it to the TA with a bungee cord.

gigi

Chely7425 said:

Which model? How do the buckles work?

luckyclov

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Philips-PD7012-37-7-Inch-Portable/dp/B003ES54A6"]Amazon.com: Philips PD7012/37 7-Inch LCD Dual Screen Portable DVD Player, Black: Electronics[/ame]

gigi

Does anyone know if they make a similar screen that works off an iPod instead of a DVD? We have a massive itunes library :). I don't like my son having the iPod loose, but haven't figured out a good solution.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Secure velcro attachments are pretty secure... You will want to make sure you have rebound control in place if you have them right where the kid could smack into them.

Alternatively, you can spend $150 on Amazon and install a roof mounted one yourself, I hear if you're at all handy the wiring isn't that bad.

lourdes

valleyfam said:
Be careful if it is the ones we got....1. You can not change the dvd without taking down the whole thing ... total pain....I hate them!! and 2. They absolutely will not stay straight and it takes nothing for kids to knock them down. They're terrible! I really want the RCA ones that the velcro strap routes thru the back of the dvd player and around the head rest. We basically never use ours because I despise them so.

I am not 100% sure but I think they are the RCA ones, you put the DVD in the head rest and the velcro goes thru the back of the head rest from one point to the other

todzwife

You finally convinced your husband to divorce Subaru????? You must be so happy to have the van!

I am interested also in the DVD options...I just give my son an iPod to watch, but now that I have 2 kids I'm considering my options...

Yes! Can you believe it! I LOVE the van (and so does HE!:rolleyes:)

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

lovemybabybug

Any way to securely have a DVD player in a car with no headrests on the back seats and no top tether? I do however have access to the trunk from the back seat ( the back seat folds down so I could put a strap through the gap) I thought about putting the DVD strapped to the front seats and giving dd a rf mirror but I cannot find a mirror that will stay put in said seats with no headrests and tethers.

Wow, I was just pondering this exact thing while driving tonight! I have my dd in a booster and ds RF so I wanted a dual set that would attach securely and be not too costly. Thanks! It's sitting in my amazon cart now so I can watch for price changes and snap it up : )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC