which cars ALLOW center position latching?

sb518

I'm looking (wishing) into purchasing a new (used) car and I'm wondering who out there has a 4 door sedan that actually has center latch anchors?? I'm not finding many! :confused:

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Check out the Chevrolets. I know in my CPS class, some of them had center LATCH positions. Also, some Fords (and others...?) allow you to use the inner LATCHes for the outside positions to form a center LATCH position, provided that the same LATCH anchor is not being used by two seats (i.e., only the seat in the middle is using the LATCH, not a seat that is outboard). Hope this helps!

Chameleon

MY MIL's car has 3 sets of LATCH and tether's. It's awesome for child seats. Plus the back seat is huge! She has a 2005 Buick LeSabre.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'm looking (wishing) into purchasing a new (used) car and I'm wondering who out there has a 4 door sedan that actually has center latch anchors?? I'm not finding many! :confused:

If you looking at used then GM, Ford & Dodge/Chrysler will be the way to go. Honda is just starting to allow center LATCH but that is as of '07 models.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My 2004 saturn ION had middle LATCH.

I did a seat check for a friend with a 07 Dodge Caliber and it allowed the middle position to borrow LATCH anchors from the outboard positions provided that they weren't being used by an Outboard seat. So they could be borrowed, but not shared by 2 seats.

supercrunch

I was just going to chime in with PT cruiser, but I can see that it has already been done :)

My dh had a 2001 that allowed for center LATCH.

babidius

Question!!

Can you borrow the outside latches to use in the center, if they are not being used for the outer seats already, in any car? We just bought a used Honda CR-V last week and my DH installed it this way but I was unaware until I read this thread and then checked the car that the center seat did not have it's own latches. Should I move the seat or keep it in the center with the latches from the outer seats? Help!!!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Whether or not it's allowable varies depending on the vehicle manufacturer and specific vehicle model, and the carseat manufacturer must also allow it in the vehicles where borrowing the outboard LATCH anchors is permitted.

For the CRV, only the '07 Honda CRV model is equipped with a dedicated set of lower anchors for the center seating position. For pre-'07 CRVs, and other Honda models without a dedicated set of lower anchors for the center position, Honda does not allow borrowing the outboard anchors for a center LATCH installation. What you could do is either reinstall in the center using the seatbelt, or install outboard with the outboard lower anchors or the outboard seatbelt. Whichever allowable way gets you a proper installation with less than one inch of movement at the carseat's belt path is what counts. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC