Just for a nice stress reliever...let's...

keri1292

design our own car seats!

One of my ideas is an actual seat (normal car sized but designed to properly fit a child) for a minivan for all of us with removable seats. We could just pop out the old seat and install a captains seat with a built in 5 point harness. Unrealistic financially but, oh the convenience! It would have an infinite harness adjust, multiple crotch buckle positions, TSIP all over ~ sides and head wings. :love: :love: :love: And of course, you would just snap it in backwards to RF. Oh what the heck, let's make it a 12 point harness to indulge my fantasy. It would also be crash tested RFing so my kids could ride safer even after 35lbs! A RFing 12 year old! I'm in heaven.
This is my Frankenstein. What's yours?

ADS

scatterbunny

My ideal forward-facing harnessed carseat would be a combination harness/booster, it would look like a Britax Monarch booster, with nice head and torso wings, but those wings would be adjustable, like those on the Jane Indy booster.

The seating area would be a little wider than the Monarch's seating area, though (allowing older, wider kids to fit comfortably and making it a little less tippy), AND most importantly it would be much deeper in the seating area for leg support.

There would be no armrests, instead in booster mode the lapbelt would be held low by the deep torso wings, like with the Parkway. It would look like the Monarch, with those close-fitting (but adjustable) wings, but it would have a five point harness up to 80 pounds.

It would adjust, with the harness, as tall as the Monarch adjusts, so many kids could make it to the full harnessed weight limit.

It would also become a backless booster, since lots of kids would utilize the harness to the full highback booster height. Hmm, that might not work out now that I think about it, because a backless booster needs armrests or some type of "nubs" to hold the lapbelt low; with my design the torso wings hold the lapbelt low, like on the Parkway, so it probably wouldn't work as a backless.

Still, I think a Monarch-looking/deeper-seated/adustable-winged/harnessed-to-80-pounds-combo-seat would be AWESOME. :D

Ali

A seat that when you sit the child in it, it tightens and forms to fit the child perfectly each and every time. It would be absolutely fool proof to install and fit to any child.

Lea_Ontario

It would have to be available world-wide, meeting the strictest standards world-wide (so, rear-facing to what : 50lbs ?, forward-facing to 80+ lbs ?), and affordable too !

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have two "dream seats":

Seat #1
  • RF to 50 pounds
  • Very low bottom slots
  • 23" top slots (yes, I know, adults could sit in it!)
  • FF to 150 pounds
  • TSIP with width and height-adjustable wings
  • Infinite adjust harness
  • At least four crotch strap positions
  • IMMI-style LATCH
  • RF and FF tether

Seat #2
  • FF only
  • Harness to 150 pounds
  • TSIP with width and height-adjustable wings
  • Infinite adjust harness
  • IMMI-style LATCH
  • Length adjustable seating area
  • 23" inch top slots

BOTH seats need to cost less than $350 (U.S.) and MUST come with TOP-notch customer service.

BOTH seats need to have at least ten cover choices and need to have harnesses that CAN be replaced.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I love everyone's ideas. And Patriot, you would be the one to make sure of the wide variety of cover options, lol, you should become a cover design consultant. :) All I want to add is guaranteed installation compatibility in any vehicles, speaking from the standpoint of not just a Regent owner, but a Radian owner as well. A carseat enthusiast can dream, right? :D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I love everyone's ideas. And Patriot, you would be the one to make sure of the wide variety of cover options, lol, you should become a cover design consultant. :)

:D Thanks! That would be a lot of fun! :)

I am definitely opinionated enough! :D

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Wow! You guys have some great ideas! I'd be pre-ordering those for sure! Personally, I'd love a RF to 50 lbs seat that is tethered and braced and big enough for big kids. Baseless would be nice (similar to the Radian & Regent) so that it sits nice & low on the vehicle seat. Of course it needs to have some nice deep SIP wings and be fully lined with EPS foam. I like the idea of a harness that automatically adjusts, like you would put the kid in, push a button and the harness tightens automatically to just the right tension. I think Scatterbunny's FF only seat sounds awesome! Really, what I would like to see is RF only seats and FF only seats, no more of these seats that claim to do everything.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What is an "IMMI-style" latch ?

The IMMI-style LATCH is the type that is on the Safeguard, Britax, Radian, etc. It looks the LATCH on the left.

The other style LATCH is the type that is on Graco, Cosco, etc. It looks like the LATCH on the right.

I like the IMMI-style because I find it easier to use. :)

Last edited:

hsjwmom

ITA...I LOVE that style of LATCH. It is soooo much easier for me to release than the graco etc. style.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC