Car seat shuffle in a 2012 Sienna-suggestions?

todzwife

DH finally relented and bought me a minivan. I am beyond thrilled (if you read any previous posts, we've been driving an 08 Subaru Tribeca that was like a sardine can w/ 3 kids). He didn't like how the 2012 ody looked, and Toyota worked with us on our trade in so we went with the 2012 Sienna. I love it, minus a couple of quirky issues, including the stupid 3 tether anchor issue, but I think we can work around it.

Right now, I have 3 kids.
DS is 8 and in a HBB (parkway SG)
DD1 is almost 6. She's riding in a RNXTSL
DD is 18 months, RFing in a CCO

I also have a MA70, turbobooster and 2 NB Harmony boosters.

Here's the thing. I don't want 2 kids sitting right next to each other. I'm done with that. DS and DD1 both want to sit in the back.
So, I installed DD1 in the Radian, FF outboard driver-3rd row-untethered. It is an absolutely rock solid install. DS is outboard passenger-3rd row and DD2 is outboard driver captains chair (latched-the seatbelt install left something to be desired).

I COULD put DD1 in the Radian in the passenger's side captains chair, but she wants to be in the back. Also, I Like having the option for myself to jump back there to nurse the baby if needed and without it being occupied I can scoot it forward enough that the kids can jump in back without needing to go between the second row captains chairs (there is a weird console thing there that doesn't come out that the jump seat installs on-gripe #2)

Is this my best bet? Would DD1 be better off in a booster than in an untethered seat? I'd love to get a frontier 85 for her (I think the legs are deeper), but is that a good seat untethered?

ADS

Mags462

I am NOT a tech, so take this for what its worth - pure mommy advice :D

Is there a reason you aren't ready to put your DD1 in a booster? At her age i feel its appropriate provided she sits properly..... and i personally would rather have her in a booster than an untethered harnessed seat.... but that's just me:)

todzwife

I am NOT a tech, so take this for what its worth - pure mommy advice :D

Is there a reason you aren't ready to put your DD1 in a booster? At her age i feel its appropriate provided she sits properly..... and i personally would rather have her in a booster than an untethered harnessed seat.... but that's just me:)

It's just easier for her to buckle herself in the Radian. And she's not at 100% for sitting properly in a HBB (she likes to lean sideways or down ugh).

luckyclov

I have my 9 year old in a PWSG 3rd row center. Riding center allows him more head excursion/leg room. He also sometimes rides 3rd row passenger side outboard in a Harmony Literider. Since the FR85 in front of him is installed with the seatbelt, I move the capts chair up a few clicks to give him a bit more room. The Literider and PWSG are always next to eachother in the 3rd row, even if one is unoccupied. I LOVE the Literider in the 3rd row, they were made for eachother.

I have my 7 year old harnessed in a FR85 in the passenger side captains chair and my 22 month old RFing in a MA70 in the drivers side captains chair.

As you know, the Radian installs great outboard 3rd row (untethered). I've had our RN there a few times for "extra" kids.

amandamac

todzwife, i have a simular situation...i was driving an 09 subaru outback and hubby just purchased me the 2012 sienna. I AM IN LOVE! i was, at times, cramming 3 kids in the outback. 1 marathon RF outboard, 1 chicco keyfit 30 outboard, 1 14 year old crammed in the middle back! it was craziness. now i have the infant seat behind the passenger seat, 2nd row and the marathon RF outboard on the passenger side. i came in from playing around with replacing the infant seat with a radian RF on the 2nd row. it worked! i love the radian too. i was worried it would take up too much room RF but the 2nd row seats are raised more than the front row so it works. sooo happy! good luck to you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC