Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Has there already been a thread about the new Nissan NV3500 passenger van?

March is almost here!
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I am ridiculously excited!

DD1 13y 5-stepsDS1 12y 5-steps
    DD2 9y IncognitoDD3 7y Pink Monterey
    DD4 5y FF Flora RN XTSLDS2 3y RF Red RN XTSLDS3 Cowmoo Britax Chaperone

Carseat Crazy

Anyone see this new Van?

its called the Nissan NV passenger van. Its not the best looking but it seats 12 and all the seats have headrests and lap/shoulder belts in every seat! Anyway just thought you guys might like this. Imagine the car seats you can fit in this thing lol.

http://www.nissancommercialvehicles.com/nvpassenger

Lacy15,Cayden11,Colton5,Samantha and Svea 6/6/11, Justin born at 29w 1d 7/6/12

Moderator - CPS Technician

Re: Anyone see this new Van?

It has come up on the Car Safety sub-forum. Looks amazing for big families!
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Carseat Crazy

Yeah it looks awesome on the inside. Anytime i looked at bigger vans they never have the headrests or all lap/shoulder belts so this looks awesome.

I wonder if you could do a four across in the back! Maybe with Radians?
    Kacie, CPST.
    Aunt to SIX little loves between the ages of two weeks and seven years!

My Nissan dealer updated me on the Nissan 3500 passenger. Production has started this month and it will be ready for sale in March if all goes well. He also told me that the commercial version is between $28K-$35K and the MPG is around 17-18. So that means the passenger will cost more and the MPG may be less with the extra seating. Also consider the cost for the side curtain airbags.
    Last edited by Denisse; 02-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.

I saw that several weeks ago. I so badly want to win the lottery and buy one for my friend. She's got 7 kids (pregnant with 8th and final) and a 9-passenger Suburban.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

Hmm. It only has two "rear seat tether anchors." Bummer. It is LATCH equipped; presumably the same two seats that have the anchors, I suppose. Although with the mix-and-match seating I wonder if you could order extra LATCH-equipped seats if you wanted them. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brigala View Post
    Hmm. It only has two "rear seat tether anchors." Bummer. It is LATCH equipped; presumably the same two seats that have the anchors, I suppose. Although with the mix-and-match seating I wonder if you could order extra LATCH-equipped seats if you wanted them. Hmm.
    The tethers would have to be in the spots where there are lower anchors. LATCH is a system, so it can't have lower anchors without tether anchors.
    Kacie, CPST.
    Aunt to SIX little loves between the ages of two weeks and seven years!

Carseat Crazy

Yes i need to win the lottery too lol. I have 6 kids living with us and 2 that arent and i just found out im pregnant again Im about to head off to my dr's appointment to confirm and hopefully find out when im due.

Right, that's what I figured. Although it doesn't follow that the top tether anchors all have corresponding lower anchors. The specs don't say how many sets of LATCH their are and I don't know what the requirements are for commercial vehicles.

Interestingly, from looking at the pictures it appears there's one top tether anchor attached to each seating unit, whether that seating unit is a single seat or a double seat. So that would be six top tether anchors. Even if the final product actually only comes with one set of seats with anchors, since they're attached to the seats it is logical that you could optionally get more if money were no object. I wonder whether all those positions have LATCH, although it wouldn't matter much since the seats also have ALRs. Hmm.

Anybody know what the top tether weight limit is on a Nissan?

So is it that much wider? Our van (02 Oddy) is almost impossible for 3 across the back and for the four across the van would have to be what nearly 2 feet wider (maybe just a foot or 18 inches though?). While there may be 12 seating positions that does not mean it will work well for a large family with more than a few in safety seats. That back row might only be good for those that can 5 step. Or mostly 5 steppers with one or two car seats.
    *Lisa*
    Momma to my 5 monkeys-
    J 9/01, A 6/03, B 10/04, E 9/06 and C 11/09

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4boysmom
    So is it that much wider? Our van (02 Oddy) is almost impossible for 3 across the back and for the four across the van would have to be what nearly 2 feet wider (maybe just a foot or 18 inches though?). While there may be 12 seating positions that does not mean it will work well for a large family with more than a few in safety seats. That back row might only be good for those that can 5 step. Or mostly 5 steppers with one or two car seats.
    Four-across? Did I miss something? You can do four across in this? Or are you referring to the four rows?

Minivans are hard to do three-across in the third row because of the wheel well. I imagine this will have more usable space.

I also suspect that if there were enough seatbelts/LATCH, I could get four-across in my truck. It's fairly huge.

According to the other thread, there are two sets of LATCH plus three additional top tethers.

Quote Originally Posted by LISmama810 View Post
    Four-across? Did I miss something? You can do four across in this? Or are you referring to the four rows?

Minivans are hard to do three-across in the third row because of the wheel well. I imagine this will have more usable space.

I also suspect that if there were enough seatbelts/LATCH, I could get four-across in my truck. It's fairly huge.
    Well there are 4 rows and the rows are made up of 2 (front), 3, 3 and 4 (very rear) seats so it is theoretically possible to do 4 across. Would this not have a wheel well in one of the rows?
    *Lisa*
    Momma to my 5 monkeys-
    J 9/01, A 6/03, B 10/04, E 9/06 and C 11/09

Quote Originally Posted by laccaycol View Post
    Yes i need to win the lottery too lol. I have 6 kids living with us and 2 that arent and i just found out im pregnant again Im about to head off to my dr's appointment to confirm and hopefully find out when im due.
    Congratulations!!!!!

Oh, I didn't realize there was a 4-seat row! That's cool!

I imagine the wheel well comes into play somehow, but it might not be in the same way as a minivan.

hmm.. reminds me of a cube, AND!! good news for families on a budget, the base starts at 24k, which is comparable to regular minivans. very nice.

i think i like that.....

looks to have pretty short female belt stalks, so thats good for radians, not a ton of bucketing in the back... hmmm....
    Amanda, Owner at A Winter's Gift
    DD1 10/01, 90 lbs, 5-steppin'
    DD2 11/07, 46 lbs, HHB. ERF'd till age 4
    DS1 02/12, 36lbs, FF in RadianR100,

The problem I see with it is the same as the commuter vans we have out here. The last 4 seating positions are right up next to the back of the van, which means you aren't taking your family of 12 on vacation with the gear inside your vehicle. I'm also not too comfy with putting my children right up next to the back of a vehicle. My old neighbor has a chevy express commuter van that has captain's chairs in all seating positions- just like this van, but you take out the back row and end up with a giant 8 seater.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)