HELP! Do you agree with my seat recomendation for friend's DD?

Connor's Mom

OK, my best friend's daughter is 18months, 31" and 24 lbs. I don't know what her torso height is but I am guessing maybe 15" tops. Don't even get me started on having her ERF because I already lost that argument. But, BF is wanting to put her in a Regent and I think that she is too small. I personally think that a MA, a BVLD or a FPSVD would be a better choice and would last her quite awhile. This girl is really tiny and I really don't see how she can even be 31" but that is what my friend said. I think that the thing that my friend is looking at is the 65lb vs. 80lb seat and why not go with the higher weight seat since she meets the Regent weight requirement. She has never seen a Regent in person and I really don't think that she realizes how the seat would swallow her DD.
I think that the first thing that I am ganna do is have her look at her DD in out Regent and then in our MA and let her see for herself what is a better fit. What is yall's opinion and what advice do you think that I should share with my friend? Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm mixed. That's smaller than my DS2 and I can't imagine that he'd be comfortable in a Regent at the moment (granted, he's RF). I'm not sure that the Regent has enough of a recline when installed for really little kids.

Having said that, if her DD is already FF and there's no chance to get her to flip her back, I probably wouldn't fight it too hard (maybe she'll keep her harnessed longer?)

Definitely a good idea to let her try the different seats.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Unless her dd is really tall torso'd, her torso height (bum to shoulders,) isn't likely to be over 13.5 or 14". My dd's torso height is around 15" and she's 38" tall. She's pretty evenly proportioned, so a kid with a longer torso and 38" tall would definitely fit seats differently, but I have a hard time thinking a kid 7" shorter would have the same length torso as dd... Anyways, she's in the 2nd to top set of harness slots in the MA with about 1/4 to 1/2" before reaching them.

If she's willing to go non-britax, what about the triumph advance? 17" top slots and that nice adjustable harness, 50lb weight limit and $150 or less... then when kiddo outgrew that, she could look at a regent at that time or whatever else might be on the market.

At her kids size, the regent probably would swallow her up and not provide much comfort for sleeping on car trips.

TxMomma

Her daughter is the same size as my 26mo old and the Regent swallows her! I would definitely recommend the MA, hands down.

ThreeBeans

The Regent would absolutely SWALLOW her DD. I don't know that it is 'less safe' than a BV or other smaller seat, but it certainly would make me nervous. Of course the fact that she isn't RF is worse. But not a lot you can do about other people's kids.

Other than secretly slip into their cars in the middle of the night and switch the seats around and hope they are to lazy to mess with it :whistle:

Connor's Mom

Great, at least I know that I am not as out of my mind as she thinks that I am. :p Like I said, she has never seen one in person so she really has no idea how big it is. I also tried the it will provide very little sleeping support for a child her size reason and her DS does quite a bit of sleeping in the car. I also told her that it would more than likely expire before she got the full use out of it and that went over her head as well as I don't think that she has even thought that far ahead. And, when I told her that I was crossing my fingers that Connor would not grow out of the Regent before he was 7 or 8 she laughed at me for wanting to keep him harnessed "forever" as she said. :rolleyes: She currently has 2 seats. The one in her MIL's car (she keeps DS 3 days a week) goes to 40lbs, and the one she has in her car she says goes to 65lbs but I think she is wrong about that (I don't know what kind it is but it looks cheap). I couldn't believe it when she told me that they are still using the infant seat, a Graco SnugRide that she outgrew 2lbs and 2" ago, in her husbands truck. :eek: Let's just say that she is not as into child passenger safety as I am. ;)

Laurenc0101

My son is about a month younger and an 1.5 inch taller than your friend's dd. His torso height is a little over 12" and he just made it to the second to bottom slots in his MA (rear-facing). I have never sat my ds in a Regent, but it does seem like purchasing a Regent now would not be the best decision because like SusanMae said, it seems like it would expire before she outgrew it. I totally think you are right on this one!!

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Gosh I'd say the regent. If it can install both ways in her car and any other cars she uses. It is gonna last the longest. She will be able to get the full 6 years out of it, then decide where to go from there. Most average people aren't into changing carseats alot. They buy one and use it up.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I tried my very tall 2 yo in a Regent at Babies R Us and it swallowed her. She was 36" with a 13.5" torso, and 26 lbs.

carseats002.jpg

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Yikes, my DD is possibly around that height (I really don't know, I know she was 30 inches at one year, and it's 6 months later...), and she looks INSANE in the Regent (granted, she's under the weight requirement regardless). I mostly sat her in it for laughs (right after I sat in it :D )

Note she's wearing a larger shirt than normal, and she's not strapped in at all (she's sitting forward a tad, but her bum is at the bight). She was about 2 inches below the lowest harness slot (which makes sense; she's about half and inch away from the bottom slot in her MA)

P7020173.jpg

I would definitely have her sit the baby in both, to see the difference.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
If she is interested in harnessing for as long as possible, which her interest in the Regent would suggest, how about she looks at a Radian which would not swallow her?

Connor's Mom

Well thanks everyone for your help!
It didn't take much to convince her after all to go with the smaller seat. I showed her a pic of Connor in his Regent and I hope you don't mind but I sent her the pic of your DD tarynsmum since she can't get onto boards at work. I only sent it to her and via e-mail so it won't be in any strange places, lol. She said that she didn't realize how big the Regent was and just thought it was a great seat since I had talked so favorable about it. Anyway she ended up getting an Erin MA. I had sent her the link to it as it is on sale for $209 and free shipping at Albeebaby and it states that it is a 2007 DOM. I also had her to order it by phone and inform them that she would be sending it back if it was too old.
I also guess that the ERF stuff that I sent her a couple weeks ago worked because she turned DD back around and states that she will leave her that way till the max weight on the seats (this is the part where I smile from ear to ear :D ). She has a Touriva in her car that will now go in the hubby's car and a Triumph Advance in MIL's car so that is a good deal. I guess she got rid of the El Cheapo carseats that she was using.
So score one more for the Carseat Queens, lol! :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC