Question RF Convertible Seat in 1999 Nissan Altima

WoolPig

We don't use our bucket seat (Graco SnugRide 35) out of the car and it seriously impacts the space for the passenger, so I am thinking that its time to move to a convertible seat that sits up more. The trouble is sorting through all the options out there. Please help me choose a seat.

Details:
Baby is approximately 20#, 27" tall, 11" height at shoulder, 11 months old

Car is a 1999 Nissan Altima, so no LATCH.

We have never uninstalled the car seat since we got it, so I don't imagine that ease of reinstallation is a major issue, though eventually we will travel on planes with it to visit family.

Wishes:
It would be great if we could get the car seat installed in the middle of the backseat with room for someone to buckle in on either side, it would make our Christmastime logistics easier.

ADS

WoolPig

I am looking at seats and the Britax Marathon 70 on Amazon has my attention, but I'm not sure how to evaluate if it will fit in my car well. From reading the specs on the Britax site, it seems like a good balance between features and price.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Britax seats generally install well in most vehicles, and I'm not aware of any issues with the Altima.

It's not the narrowest seat. Someone with a butt like mine probably wouldn't be very comfortable next to it. Someone with a butt like Kate Moss would be fine.

WoolPig

Is there a seat that you would recommend as a better fit in a regular sedan backseat? I've also had the First Years True Fit recommended by a friend. It seems to be the same price point as the Marathon.

jjordan

I have a 99 Nissan Altima.

If you want the front seats all the way back, then you'll probably need a Britax convertible (such as the marathon70). I haven't actually tried a Truefit in there, although I probably could this weekend if you want (my sister has one and I'll be visiting her). But, from what I've heard, they usually take the same amount of front-back space as the older Britax convertibles, and for those, the front seat in front of the child seat does have to be up a click or two.

The Britax convertibles will do fine in the center, and should have enough room for an adult on either side as long as they're sort of small adults. :) You *can* fit a Radian RF in the center as well, with more room for adults on either side, but the front seats can't be back all the way, and the installation is a little tricky. I'm hoping to get one of the new diono foam wedges to try with my radian to see if that allows for the front seats to go back all the way.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
No, I think the Marathon is a fine choice. I'm just saying that larger adults aren't going to be too comfortable next to it. If it's a 15-minute drive, no biggie. If it's a 5-hour drive, well, there aren't many carseats that would actually be comfortable to sit next to for 5 hours.

WoolPig

I was thinking more of the 15-30 minute drives around town for Christmas festivities, so that sounds like it would be a good choice still. A red Britax for us it will be, then!

Thanks for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC