Has anyone with a Regent went in an accident...

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
... with a child over 40 lbs and the LBP? Just curious about anecdotal evidence vs theoretical/lab results.

ETA: Just noticed the typo in the header: should be "Has anyone with a Regent *been* in an accident..."... LOL!

ADS

Kellyr2

Okay, how screwed up is it that I wish I had an answer? I mean, of course I don't want to wreck, but I'm oh so curious! LOL

MsFacetious

This is what is SO bugging me about this situation.

When they tested the Regent with a 41lbs child LBP and found that the sides collapsed on the child... how fast was the impact?

What type of impact?? Side, frontal, rollover, rear end???

Say they tested at 40MPH in a frontal crash with a 41lbs child, and the sides collapsed.

What happens if using their new installation instructions with my 38lbs child... I am in a frontal accident going 60MPH (much more realistic in my opinion, on what would actually happen to me. Most of the high risk roads I drive have 60mph speed limits.)

HOW do they know that the seat will not fail at higher speeds with a lower weight child? It will eventually be more pressure on the seat than the 41lbs child in a 40mph accident... what was tested at... so why in the world would the LBP be safe for any sized child?

I'm not a math or physics wiz but this just seems nuts to me.

LuvBug

I know a mom or 2 has with the husky... I cant remember anyone who has with a regent, though Im sure there have been :(

TxMomma

This is what is SO bugging me about this situation.

When they tested the Regent with a 41lbs child LBP and found that the sides collapsed on the child... how fast was the impact?

What type of impact?? Side, frontal, rollover, rear end???

Say they tested at 40MPH in a frontal crash with a 41lbs child, and the sides collapsed.

What happens if using their new installation instructions with my 38lbs child... I am in a frontal accident going 60MPH (much more realistic in my opinion, on what would actually happen to me. Most of the high risk roads I drive have 60mph speed limits.)

HOW do they know that the seat will not fail at higher speeds with a lower weight child? It will eventually be more pressure on the seat than the 41lbs child in a 40mph accident... what was tested at... so why in the world would the LBP be safe for any sized child?

I'm not a math or physics wiz but this just seems nuts to me.

Ok WTH did I miss?

LuvBug

That is what the rep told someone on the baby center board, and it's the only answer we've been given so I'm running with it.

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=bcus9421&tid=15400

Yes ive read that thread. I just dont know that I believe it. I mean it wouldnt take 2 years of random testing to find that big of a mistake! and they wouldnt be saying that the old methods still passed the standards but the new methods are better.

It does have me very worried though, so currently both my seats are installed using latch... but without the recline bar(which causes issues in both vehicles).

MsFacetious

I also find it hard to believe but it's the ONLY actual REASON I have heard. And if the "internal components" that are different in the Regent vs the Husky... are weaker in the sides where the seatbelt goes LBP...it would make sense.

So like I said... someone gives me a different reason I shall theorize that one! ;) Mine are still short belt path LATCH with recline bar and tethered because that's my only option.

Ahzryn

That's just it, IF there was a problem, it wouldn't be at 41 pounds. They are going to build a pretty hefty pad in there, just because. IF that's the case, I am guessing that they picked 40 as a nice arbitrary round number well below when the actual issue occured. After all, with both weight and speed as variables, a heavier child in a lesser crash, or a light child at a much higher speed, could have the same results, so they have to take all that into account before they put the number in stone.

Still doesn't answer the LBP for lighter kids, unless maybe they WANTED that extra deformation or stretch to reduce the load on youngers kids since it produced lower accelleration numbers.

MsFacetious

That's my point... it's just not clear. And it worries me knowing that usually carseats are tested below 40mph...where the accidents I would worry about would be much higher speeds. So I am concerned about how that would translate...and I don't quite have enough confidence in Britax right now to believe that they've taken it all into account. Maybe if we got some straight answers I'd feel better about it.

TxMomma

Ok, even though both of my girls are under 40lbs that still worries me. After the sides collapsed with a 40lb dummy did they test lower weight dummies? Or did they just stop at that? Why are they being so secretive, it makes them look less reputible (at least in my eyes)

TxMomma

Yes ive read that thread. I just dont know that I believe it. I mean it wouldnt take 2 years of random testing to find that big of a mistake! and they wouldnt be saying that the old methods still passed the standards but the new methods are better.

It does have me very worried though, so currently both my seats are installed using latch... but without the recline bar(which causes issues in both vehicles).

I can't use latch on either seat, I don't have it at all in the 3rd row. My only option would be to move Ash rf to the 3rd row and move the girls to the 2nd row captains chairs and that will be a PITA to get Ash in her seat. I could barely reach Rylee in the 3rd row when I had a Regent and a RF MA in the captains chairs, let alone 2 Regents. Ugh! Britax you suck!!!!!!

MsFacetious

That's the point. We have no idea when/if/where the seats collapsed. Because they aren't telling us. That's just what one rep told someone, it's the only possible reason we have.

I just wish we knew what they tested and what they didn't.... since they aren't telling us and say they aren't releasing that information.. it does make them seem like they are hiding something.

LuvBug

I also find it hard to believe but it's the ONLY actual REASON I have heard. And if the "internal components" that are different in the Regent vs the Husky... are weaker in the sides where the seatbelt goes LBP...it would make sense.

So like I said... someone gives me a different reason I shall theorize that one! ;) Mine are still short belt path LATCH with recline bar and tethered because that's my only option.

oh I totally understand and its one of my theories as well.
I also think it may have to do with head excursion because why else would they require the recline bar in ALL installations? The recline bar is to reduce head excursion when the top tether isnt used, but I bet it helps when it is used as well... maybe even enough for them to make it manditory!

So my regent and husky are again, installed with latch using the SBP, but without the recline bar as it is not compatable at the moment with my cars lol!

MsFacetious

oh I totally understand and its one of my theories as well.
I also think it may have to do with head excursion because why else would they require the recline bar in ALL installations? The recline bar is to reduce head excursion when the top tether isnt used, but I bet it helps when it is used as well... maybe even enough for them to make it manditory!

So my regent and husky are again, installed with latch using the SBP, but without the recline bar as it is not compatable at the moment with my cars lol!

Yeah, that's my problem... in the seats where LBP works it doesn't with the recline bar. Not to mention once they hit 40lbs.. I couldn't stop using the LBP. Because it won't work with the SBP. It's just insane.

skaterbabs

That is what the rep told someone on the baby center board, and it's the only answer we've been given so I'm running with it.

http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=bcus9421&tid=15400

That's just hearsay - if this was ACTUALLY HAPPENING, we'd have seen it at last once in the last two years. IMO this is not something that should be passed on - there's NO proof at all, and given the track record of Britax CR reps, I'm not sure I believe it anyway.

Ok, even though both of my girls are under 40lbs that still worries me. After the sides collapsed with a 40lb dummy did they test lower weight dummies? Or did they just stop at that? Why are they being so secretive, it makes them look less reputible (at least in my eyes)

That's just it - we're NOT seeing this happening in REAL crashes. If it were do you honestly believe that we would not have heard about it?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor

I wouldn't believe half of what you hear over on BC. I have heard some CRAZY stuff from some of their posters. Plus if this was truly being said don't you think one of us would have heard this too.

What makes the side collapse at 41lbs and not at 40lbs or 39lbs?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC