With all the talk of neck loads...

cmm7

Would you give an 8 yr old a choice between a harness and a booster? Until she was 7 there wasn't much of a choice because she would slump when she fell asleep. For the past year I have given her a choice every so often and she typically chooses to stay in a harness. Should I tell her too bad and make her ride in a booster now? She doesn't fall asleep in the car nearly as much and when she does she can stay in position.

ADS

Pixels

There is no real evidence that neck loading caused by harnessing is a concern. If there was, more manufacturers would add load limiting devices. I can think of three manufacturers with any form of load limiting, and none of them require the use of the load limiting device except with certain installation methods (namely, use of the tether).

Also, older kids have proportionally smaller heads and more ossified skeletons. I think an older child in a harness is at much less risk than a younger child the same size.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If I owned both seats and she fit in them well, I would give her a choice. I would not buy a new harnessed seat for a physically and developmentally typical 8yo even if it was her preference.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd be fine with it, there's no real world evidence that a properly used harness seat is harmful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC