Visit to BRU--Graco My Ride 65 Safety Surround & Comparison Pics

StillThankful

My model--Candace, 13" torso

I compared the original Graco My Ride 65 to the Safety Surround Capri.

1. Same shell--eps foam is the same as well
2. Different crotch buckle
3. The side impact protection is integrated in the cover
4. For clarification, I called Graco and asked if I could just order the Safety Surround cover to get the same side impact protection and was told NO because the new seats were tested differently.
5. When the headrest is in 4th slot, then you can no longer use the body support.
6. The head support is made of plastic, memory foam and eps foam
7. The body support is very thick and includes a belly pad

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Retails for $179.99
BRU has 15% coupons out now.

ADS

mimieliza

Thank you for those pics!

Just a few thoughts...

The head support must be used while RFing, and must be threaded through the harness straps above the ones the child is using. So that means that the child cannot RF with the straps in the top position. Do children generally use the top harness slot for RFing?

Belly pad is integrated into the body support - when body support is not used, there is no belly pad?

Did you feel that the head support pushed your DD's head forward?

aetj115

I don't think my 3 yo will be at top straps rf in his current mr. He's still only on 2nd slot.
I have a? What does it mean by draft standards?

StillThankful

Thank you for those pics!

Just a few thoughts...

The head support must be used while RFing, and must be threaded through the harness straps above the ones the child is using. So that means that the child cannot RF with the straps in the top position. Do children generally use the top harness slot for RFing?

Belly pad is integrated into the body support - when body support is not used, there is no belly pad?

Did you feel that the head support pushed your DD's head forward?
You are correct. When the body support is not used, there is no belly pad:thumbsdown:
Because of the deep natural recline of the MR while Rfing I did not feel that her head was being pushed forward.

Thank you so much for the pics and info.

You are welcome:)

I don't think my 3 yo will be at top straps rf in his current mr. He's still only on 2nd slot.
I have a? What does it mean by draft standards?
I tried to research it--here is a link I came across w/ the term of euro draft standard concerning child restraint use: seems like there was an older regulation and this is the new one perhaps http://www.anec.org/attachments/ANEC-TRAF-2011-G-015.pdf

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I took some pics of DS in it today to see how an infant looked in it. I definitely wasn't thrilled. I felt like it pushed his head forward and put him into an uncomfortable position. It was a little better w/ the body support in place, but at 4.5 months and approx. 16 lbs I had to really smoosh him in with the body support. Not something I would want to deal with on a daily basis.

Here he is w/ body support & head support. The security tag made it hard to get the harness tightened perfectly and I couldn't put the retainer clip at the proper position.
DSC08457.jpg

From the side
DSC08458.jpg

Without the body support
DSC08460.jpg

And without head support for comparison
DSC08459.jpg

StillThankful

I took some pics of DS in it today to see how an infant looked in it. I definitely wasn't thrilled. I felt like it pushed his head forward and put him into an uncomfortable position. It was a little better w/ the body support in place, but at 4.5 months and approx. 16 lbs I had to really smoosh him in with the body support. Not something I would want to deal with on a daily basis.

Here he is w/ body support & head support. The security tag made it hard to get the harness tightened perfectly and I couldn't put the retainer clip at the proper position.
G]

Thanks for posting! He looks so delish and manages to "match" the carseat colors!:p I'm out of rep points otherwise I'd thank you:thumbsdown: Seems like you liked it better w/o the headsupport (which wouldn't provide the Euro Side Impact protection:(). Was his head pushed that much forward with the seat reclined--w/ the feet tucked under?

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Thanks for posting! He looks so delish and manages to "match" the carseat colors!:p I'm out of rep points otherwise I'd thank you:thumbsdown: Seems like you liked it better w/o the headsupport (which wouldn't provide the Euro Side Impact protection:(). Was his head pushed that much forward with the seat reclined--w/ the feet tucked under?

Yes, the recline feet were in the RFing position. He has good head control and a strong neck so I was surprised by how much his head seemed pushed forward. He didn't seem bothered by it though. On the plus side this makes it a little easier on my finances because I was considering buying one before this!

I might go back again and try it out some more though. I had DD with me today and she was all over the place and I was rushed because DS was getting hungry.

Pixels

I really don't like how it's pushing baby's head forward. Seems a bit like a recipe for disaster with a newborn.

The change in the buckle isn't related to the different version. Graco changed all of their crotch buckles to the new style quite some time ago, about a year ago, on all seats. The display model you were looking at is an older model.

StillThankful

The change in the buckle isn't related to the different version. Graco changed all of their crotch buckles to the new style quite some time ago, about a year ago, on all seats. The display model you were looking at is an older model.

Thanks for the clarification.:thumbsup:

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
I really don't like how it's pushing baby's head forward. Seems a bit like a recipe for disaster with a newborn.

Yeah, I can't imagine a newborn w/ such a fragile airway in it.

Another thing I noticed and forgot to mention was how much I disliked the new style buckle. I had to really push to engage the buckle. I could easily see someone thinking they had clicked it in, but it not truly being engaged. I'm glad my MR has the old style!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC