Talk to me about (used) vans

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
I'm starting Minivan shopping (duh duh duuuuuuuhhhh). We cannot buy new, most likely. We'll probably trade in/private sell the Durango, so this will be our Family Car.

All I've ever wanted was a van, and now I'm totally overwhelmed. I want *features*. Must have power doors, DVD player, and all that good stuff. Only have the 2 kids, but I'm sure we'll be carpooling as the kids get older (but don't need an 8th seat at all I don't think). I want a safe vehicle, obviously. The rollover ratings that IIHS make me nervous about the Sedona, so I guess that's out? What else should I be looking for? Is there some sort of cheat sheet (like 20-whatever Odysseys have tranny problems, etc).

I know given our budget, we could get a newer Grand Cavavan/T&C/Sedona than Odyssey/Sienna. (Or only a way stripped down version of the Odyssey/Sienna, and I kinda want those extras :eek:)

I've owned 2 vehicles my entire life, so this thing will be with me for the long haul; I want to pick GOOD.

I obviously am going to have to test-drive EVERYTHING, as I'm really super short and can't reach the pedals of a lot of SUVs (I can barely reach the Durango's tbh).

I swear I've been reading over this forum, but I feel over my head (I am SO not technical at all)

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I work in a shop, and honestly we see very few problems with Odysseys and Siennas alike, they mostly just come in for general maintenance. The early 2000s Odys did have some transmission problems but we really only see those when the transmission wasn't serviced regularly.

We see a LOT more T&C and Caravans for breakdown kinds of issues... nothing huge that sticks in my mind, but we see far more Chrysler vans coming in on the hook that we do Honda & Toyota for sure.

Do keep in mind, both the Ody and the Sienna still have timing belts, so depending on how used you're looking, at 90K (Toyota) or 105K (Honda) you're going to have to spend ~$1000 on a timing belt service.

I would stay away from the Odyssey with the touring package - they have Michelin PAX tires on them - which is essentially a run-flat tire. Cool idea, in theory - until you find out that they're about $2000 tires that get 30K miles. And if you want to switch away from them, you have to buy all new wheels.

Umm I think that's all I can think of!

livsmum

Honestly, I'd rather get a lower-end Odyssey or Sienna than a full bells & whistles Dodge or Chrysler.

This is just what I did last month. I bought an '09 Sienna LE. Could've got a Chrysler or Dodge with power everything but reliability and resale value was more important to me. Besides, the more bells & whistles you have - the more things that can break.

sfaqt18

More what you're looking to spend but I found some loaded 2011 sienna in Dallas and Houston area for 26k and under. So I'm sure you could get the options you want on a little older one for 20k or less. You'll just need ro look in larger cities that have more inventory and more competition. We're leaning towards Sienna next spring and want exactly what you do...DVD, power doors, could care less about 8th seat with only 2 kiddos....Souds like you've come to the right place to ask about vans...these ladies and gents know their vans!!!!

sfaqt18

Not sure what you're looking to spend but I found some loaded 2011 sienna in Dallas and Houston area for 26k and under. So I'm sure you could get the options you want on a little older one for 20k or less. You'll just need ro look in larger cities that have more inventory and more competition. We're leaning towards Sienna next spring and want exactly what you do...DVD, power doors, could care less about 8th seat with only 2 kiddos....Souds like you've come to the right place to ask about vans...these ladies and gents know their vans!!!!

tl01

I know the bells and whistles are important to you but I have driven two grand Caravans as rentals recently.. Only had about 15k miles on them and I can't believe the noises coming out of them. The vans squeak and creak like crazy. The whole thing... That would drive me crazy.. Morso that the options on the car. I drive a 2011 odyssey with the same mileage almost as those vans and it is night and day. The brakes on the caravan shake like crazy, and panels on the inside were broken. Even a rental should hold better after only a year.

msg221

I work in a shop, and honestly we see very few problems with Odysseys and Siennas alike, they mostly just come in for general maintenance. The early 2000s Odys did have some transmission problems but we really only see those when the transmission wasn't serviced regularly.

We see a LOT more T&C and Caravans for breakdown kinds of issues... nothing huge that sticks in my mind, but we see far more Chrysler vans coming in on the hook that we do Honda & Toyota for sure.

Do keep in mind, both the Ody and the Sienna still have timing belts, so depending on how used you're looking, at 90K (Toyota) or 105K (Honda) you're going to have to spend ~$1000 on a timing belt service.

I would stay away from the Odyssey with the touring package - they have Michelin PAX tires on them - which is essentially a run-flat tire. Cool idea, in theory - until you find out that they're about $2000 tires that get 30K miles. And if you want to switch away from them, you have to buy all new wheels.

Umm I think that's all I can think of!

Are timing belt services that expensive because it's a van or is this what your shop charges and that's the going rate in your area? Just asking because my brother is driving the 2004 Sienna that belonged to our parents and I'm wondering if that is what he'll be in for. I had the timing belt replaced on my Highlander when it hit 100k miles (I have 118k now) and it was less than $300 and that was at the Toyota dealer!

Anyway, I also would rather have a Honda or Toyota over a Chrysler or Dodge. DH's sister had one of those two (can't remember) and it has given her nothing but problems.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Are timing belt services that expensive because it's a van or is this what your shop charges and that's the going rate in your area? Just asking because my brother is driving the 2004 Sienna that belonged to our parents and I'm wondering if that is what he'll be in for. I had the timing belt replaced on my Highlander when it hit 100k miles (I have 118k now) and it was less than $300 and that was at the Toyota dealer!

Anyway, I also would rather have a Honda or Toyota over a Chrysler or Dodge. DH's sister had one of those two (can't remember) and it has given her nothing but problems.

The belt itself isn't expensive - but it's a lot of labor to get there, and typically along with replacing the timing belt we're going to replace the water pump (timing belt drives the water pump, and at 90K+ miles it makes sense to do it while you're right there rather than waiting for it to start leaking), cam & crank seals on the back side of the engine, timing belt tensioner, drive belts, with the new water pump you need a coolant flush etc etc. There's a lot of other parts that make sense to replace because you're right there so it adds up quickly. A lot of times at that mileage you're also going to be due for a transmission flush, cabin air filter, other kinds of maintenance things so a true 90K or 105K service is usually covering all those things and gets pricey.

Just a super bare bones timing belt and water pump replacement is usually like $600 though, so are you sure you're not confusing timing belt with a serpentine belt? Serpentine belt (sometimes called a drive belt or accessory belt too) is what runs your A/C, alternator, and power steering (there can be anywhere from 1-4 belts to run those components) and is much cheaper. The labor time on a timing belt alone is usually 4+ hours, so at a dealer shop rate I can't imagine having a timing belt changed for $300.

Oh, and the Highlanders with the smaller 4 cylinder engine have a timing CHAIN, not a belt - which doesn't need to be replaced, so depending on which engine is in your Highlander, you may not even have a timing belt. Some of the Highlanders share the same V6 that's in the Siennas and they definitely have a timing belt. It's due at 90K so year your brother's vehicle will definitely need that service.

The good thing about Toyotas is that their engines are mostly non-interference, which means in most cases if that timing belt breaks it just means you're stranded - where is in a Honda and some other vehicles, they have an interference engine which means the timing belt breaking can cause internal engine damage.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, 2009 Sienna XLE for $26000. I think its out of our price range but just seeing.

eTA: more in our range, 2006 Odyssey EXL for $15400.

StPaulMom

Have you considered a Kia Sedona? They're less expensive than almost ALL the vans you listed, but the experts have given rave reviews to the newer ones (2008 and newer): awesome warranty, decent gas mileage, top safety ratings, and great reliability.

We just bought a brand new one with a power package for $24K- parking sensor, backup camera, power doors, power windows, iPod, bluetooth, etc. It's not loaded with leather, dvd and navigation (though, you can get that for a decent price if you buy used!), but even at the much lower price, we liked it so much better than the Doge/Chrysler, and liked it JUST as much as the Honda and Toyota.

Oh, and it doesnt have a timing belt, it has a chain!

Mags462

We did the timing belt/water pump replacement for our 2005 Sienna @ 95K..... it cost $750 at the Toyota Dealership and that was with hard shopping around and getting the dealerships to counter against each other (there are 5 in our "metro" area so we called them all)......

Dh is pretty handy and does most of the maitenance but the timing belt is one heck of an involved process - so we took it in. :D

msg221

Just a super bare bones timing belt and water pump replacement is usually like $600 though, so are you sure you're not confusing timing belt with a serpentine belt? Serpentine belt (sometimes called a drive belt or accessory belt too) is what runs your A/C, alternator, and power steering (there can be anywhere from 1-4 belts to run those components) and is much cheaper. The labor time on a timing belt alone is usually 4+ hours, so at a dealer shop rate I can't imagine having a timing belt changed for $300.

Oh, and the Highlanders with the smaller 4 cylinder engine have a timing CHAIN, not a belt - which doesn't need to be replaced, so depending on which engine is in your Highlander, you may not even have a timing belt. Some of the Highlanders share the same V6 that's in the Siennas and they definitely have a timing belt. It's due at 90K so year your brother's vehicle will definitely need that service.

The good thing about Toyotas is that their engines are mostly non-interference, which means in most cases if that timing belt breaks it just means you're stranded - where is in a Honda and some other vehicles, they have an interference engine which means the timing belt breaking can cause internal engine damage.

I had to make a service appointment for next week with that same Toyota dealer so out of curiosity, I had them look up when I had the timing belt replaced. It was August 2009, so it was probably right around 90K miles, and it was a timing belt (I have a V-6 Highlander) and I paid $349.99. A little more than I thought, maybe because it is a V-6, but I knew it wasn't more than $400. I get a mailer from them monthly, and I am always seeing advertisements for the timing belt replacement being around $289.99. I also remember another mechanic mentioning the water pump replacement and I don't believe they did that at the Toyota dealer, telling me it wasn't necessary (at least for mine). I am pretty sure they were the ones that told me that and when I asked about when I had it done, nothing was said about the water pump also being replaced. I've had it in for various maintenance since then and they have never mentioned it leaking, so I'm guessing it is still good. My brother won't have to worry about having the timing belt replaced anytime soon; he still only has 45k miles on that van! Like I said, it belonged to my parents before and he got it after they passed away. It barely had any mileage on it when my parents owned it and then my brother lost his job, so he doesn't drive it daily.

Anyway, about "my" Toyota dealer, I really like them because 3 weeks ago I had the CV boot replaced and they only charged me $235 whereas other Toyota dealers as well as a couple of independent mechanics quoted me anywhere between $350-$495!

As for the PP mentioning the Kia Sedona, I also think they are nice. Our old neighbor who moved away, bought one and it was a very comfortable ride whenever I rode with her in it and she really liked it. Our next door neighbor also bought one just before her twins were born and she is also very happy with it. You definitely can't beat the warranty on that one!

rxmommy

I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2006 Ody (with 111K miles) and the timing belt was just under $400, the water pump about $250. My van was in the shop for 9 (very loooong) hours. I knew it was a labor-intensive fix. But not near a $1000 fix for sure. I plan to drive the van for another 111,000 miles ;) so I figured it was worth the investment.

The serpentine belt broke on it this summer (fluke thing - probably got some dirt in it or something. It just snapped on the highway. stranded in the middle of nowhere with 3 kids. good times!!) and I have no idea what that cost - dh's boss ended up picking up the belt for us and never let us pay for it!!

I :love::love::love: my Odyssey. It has all the bells and whistles (mostly, it's not a Touring version. I have an EX-L w/ DVD) and runs beautifully. No troubles with it at all - the serpentine belt thing just happens.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Have you considered a Kia Sedona? They're less expensive than almost ALL the vans you listed, but the experts have given rave reviews to the newer ones (2008 and newer): awesome warranty, decent gas mileage, top safety ratings, and great reliability.

We just bought a brand new one with a power package for $24K- parking sensor, backup camera, power doors, power windows, iPod, bluetooth, etc. It's not loaded with leather, dvd and navigation (though, you can get that for a decent price if you buy used!), but even at the much lower price, we liked it so much better than the Doge/Chrysler, and liked it JUST as much as the Honda and Toyota.

Oh, and it doesnt have a timing belt, it has a chain!

The Sedona was probably my #1 choice for all the reasons you listed... until the IIHS study came out about the rollover ratings, and that got me really nervous. Is that something totally "cross off the list"-able? (This is a 'general' question, not just to PP)

StPaulMom

The Sedona was probably my #1 choice for all the reasons you listed... until the IIHS study came out about the rollover ratings, and that got me really nervous. Is that something totally "cross off the list"-able? (This is a 'general' question, not just to PP)

I tend to look more at the overall picture when it comes to safety- it's a VERY safe vehicle. NHTSA's rollover rating for the Sedona is 4 out of 5 stars. If BOTH studies had below average ratings, I would be worried, but one rating isnt enough to sway my judgment. Not only that, but considering that a rollover is probably the least likely type of collision, paired with the fact that the Sedona has great ratings for the rest of the crash testing, I'm 100% ok with it :)

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
StPaulMom said:
I tend to look more at the overall picture when it comes to safety- it's a VERY safe vehicle. NHTSA's rollover rating for the Sedona is 4 out of 5 stars. If BOTH studies had below average ratings, I would be worried, but one rating isnt enough to sway my judgment. Not only that, but considering that a rollover is probably the least likely type of collision, paired with the fact that the Sedona has great ratings for the rest of the crash testing, I'm 100% ok with it :)

That makes me feel better. I've been thinking a lot about it, and talked out loud about it with DH. I almost feel like it's not "fair" to totally discount them over one test. We aren't buying this minute, so I have some time to really mull it over.

DH also said our budget really is only around 15,000 (maybe can push to 17,000 depending on what we can get on our trade). And reading that Radians don't play nicely in that era Odyssey we have to count them out too. So I can pretty much get:a stripped down, 06-07, 70,000-85,000 mile Sienna... Or something else. Or manufacture some more money, lol.

Chely7425

That makes me feel better. I've been thinking a lot about it, and talked out loud about it with DH. I almost feel like it's not "fair" to totally discount them over one test. We aren't buying this minute, so I have some time to really mull it over.

DH also said our budget really is only around 15,000 (maybe can push to 17,000 depending on what we can get on our trade). And reading that Radians don't play nicely in that era Odyssey we have to count them out too. So I can pretty much get:a stripped down, 06-07, 70,000-85,000 mile Sienna... Or something else. Or manufacture some more money, lol.

FWIW we had a 2005 Sienna LE, we paid 8800 for it (high miles though), that was then crashed and we now have a 2008 Sienna (low miles) that we paid 18,000 for. I bet you could find a 2006 with some options for your budget. The Sedona are also really nice, they are just impossible to find down here!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC