2008-2010 Odyssey- the good the bad and the ugly please ?

todzwife

A new Ody is probably not going to be in the budget but we can do a newer model (2008-2010) used one.

So tell me what I need to know. Are these ones plagued with tranny issues like the earlier models? What are the seating configurations like?

Any issues I need to know about?

I've got an 8 YO (boostered in a parkway HBB) an almost 6 YO in a Radian and an 18 month old in a coccoro.

ADS

luckyclov

If you're going used, especially those model years, I'd place some serious consideration into a Sienna. Much more child/child seat friendly. Although, if your family is complete, the Ody would still be a functional choice. The PWSG sits nicely in the center of the 3rd row and the CCO installs well RF in the captain's chair. I *think* there may be some installation incompatibilities (RF over-recline) with the RN in the captain's chair...but I'm not sure if that's the new Ody or previous gen.

todzwife

clov878 said:
If you're going used, especially those model years, I'd place some serious consideration into a Sienna. Much more child/child seat friendly. Although, if your family is complete, the Ody would still be a functional choice. The PWSG sits nicely in the center of the 3rd row and the CCO installs well RF in the captain's chair. I *think* there may be some installation incompatibilities (RF over-recline) with the RN in the captain's chair...but I'm not sure if that's the new Ody or previous gen.

Used or new sienna?

luckyclov

Used or new sienna?
If you're looking at used models, 2008-2010, I would consider a Sienna. The previous generation Sienna tends to be more child (younger child) friendly. The 8th seat in the 8 passenger is not only useable, but equipped with a full set of LATCH (as are each captains chair). There's also 2 complete sets of LATCH in the 3rd row. Toyota also defers to the child seat manufacturer for LATCH weight limits as opposed to Honda's stated 40 lb weight limit, so there's no fuss and stress about top tethering above 40 lbs.:)

mkmama

The 8th seat in the 2005-2010 Siennas is a lifesaver, even though we currently just have 3 kids (bought our 08 Sienna this summer when our Windstar started dying and went with 8 seater because we have #4 on the way)...I'm able to put all three across the middle row no problem so that we can carry a significant amount of cargo when necessary (though the Sienna has tons of cargo room to begin with for a minivan). If you find that you don't really need the 8th seat, you can always take it out and you'll have a 7 seater, just minus the inside arm rests on the center captains chairs.

P1ally

If reliability is a big concern, I'd get a sienna. Hate to say it. (I just bought a certified 06 ody, and it's plagued with problems already :rolleyes: )

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had more problems with my 2005 Sienna than I ever did with my 2008 Odyssey :) I suspect that it depends on the individual vehicle and I wouldn't make any blanket comparison as to which was more reliable. As far as transmissions go, I don't think it would be a stretch to say that most new cars have transmission issues. I would love if there was a minivan out there with a nice 6 speed manual transmission.

-Nicole.

Syllieann

The radian works fine rf in the capt chairs but is over-reclined in the plus-one. The 3rd row has forward of the bight belts which can make radian tricky but still do-able both rf and ff. Honda has a stated 40# latch limit which I don't find terribly troublesome. My only real complaint is that the top tether for the center seat in the 3rd row is right where the hatch closes so to use a ff seat in that spot your top tether has to go straight across your cargo area. You have to decide between putting the seat outboard and using the tt, installing center and giving up your cargo hold, or install center w/out tt-grr. All the headrests are removable and all the seats can be reclined at least a little to make installation easier. The plus-one and 3rd row center seats have sb's that come down from the ceiling and really don't fit adults well. I would use those for car seats or hbbs only.

VLsMom

We just got a 08 odyssey touring and its super nice, drives really smooth, and has automatic/power everything. The engine is also powerful, it doesn't balk if I need to floor the gas for some reason, it GOES, I love that.

I like the memory seats (hubby is much taller than me), "conversation mirror" so I don't have to tip the rearview mirror down to see my kids, bluetooth, the window shades are a convenient feature, umm....can't complain much! Its great.

DH especially loves the AUX input so he can stream his pandora/slacker radio over the speakers in the van.

We only let the kids watch D VDs on long trips which is a great feature to have, with wireless headphones so adults don't have to hear kid movies, THAT is nice lemme tell ya!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
With our 3 kids, I much preferred the stowable Honda PlusOne seat. It is not child seat friendly like the one in the previous generation Sienna, but it is a lot easier to configure for an aisle in the middle, stow for an aisle at the door or put in for an extra child in a booster or seatbelt.

Since you have 2 older kids, I think the Odyssey setup would work fine for you. A 7-passenger Sienna would probably be just fine, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC