Need seat for 1999 Suburban

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Middle row. Regent, outboard driver's side. Need something for the center that with allow the passenger, middle, outboard seat to still fold, atleast allow people to get to the back.

They have a burb a few years older, and we had a radian there, no problem.

The 99, though, the belt stalk is too long, but now long enough to twist more than 2 times. The buckle hits the side of the seat. We tried flipping the latchplate, but that didn't work, since it needs to be tighter.

So, any seat that will fit in the space? The radian was perfect. Need a FFing seat.

ADS

zactayaus

I was thinking if you could get your hands on a Graco Cargo that might fit the bill but it only goes to 40lbs so depending on how much kiddo weighs that may or may not be an option.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
He would fit. He fits in a Scenera. He just went FFing. If you think it will work, I will post in swap.

zactayaus

Well it fit great in my 2000 'burb middle center but I think my year is the year they redesigned so I can't say for sure if it would fit. I actually still have our Cargo. It's at my mom's house. My sister was using it for the little girl she was watching but she doesn't watch her anymore. I think it has like 2 years left on it. I'd have to check when I go there on Wednesday. I suppose I might be ok with letting it go.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have a Cosco combo, if you think it may fit. I know the harness isn't as tall, but I think he may fit. The regent is for a girl that really does need it. She was in the radian, until she got too tall. Now she is using her big brother's regent.

zactayaus

I think the Cosco (if he's not too tall for the harness) is probably about the same width as the Cargo (which I measured at one time and now I can't remember if it was 17 or 18" wide) so it should fit. I would give it a try.

glockchick

The Radian is doable but it's a royal PITA. I have one in the center of my 1999 suburban now. You can get 3 twists of the stalk, but you have to hold it while you tighten so it doesn't untwist.

Here's how you do it.

Twist the stalk 3 times.
Buckle the belt in the right way.
Tighten as much as you can while kneeling in the seat.
Flip the latch plate, making sure the twist is on the non buckle side of the car seat and the "tail" is on the bottom.
Now jump up and down on the seat while cussing and get it rebuckled without loosening it. This is hard because the latch plate tries to get in the way and keeps it from going in straight.

After that I usually stand outside the car, brace my left foot against the side of the seat, and try to tighten some more. I don't think it does anything, but it makes me feel better. :D

And then it's in and not moving. If someone brought a seat for me to check in that vehicle, I'd probably tell them to get a new seat if they could. Your average Joe will NOT be able to do it. I HATE installing that thing.

Proof that it can be done! I can get more pics of the buckle side tomorrow if you'd like. :)
ba18ed6b.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
That is a different seat. Mine doesn't have a cup holder. Of course, I will try again, but I could not twist more than 1.5 times on one stock, and 2 on the other.

glockchick

What cup holder are you taking about?

Nope. But like I said. It's really hard to do and took me many hours and tries to get it. I also have it pulled as far forward as I can to help the recline.

Maybe the stalk is only twisted twice. I know its complete twists cause a half didn't work. I'll try to check when I get home but that would mean uninstalling it. Yikes!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What cup holder are you taking about?

That fold-down center console thing that's folded up to make room for the car seat (or a passenger) has a cup holder in it. You can see it in the picture. :)

I used to have a '99 Burb and my center row seat was exactly like yours. Sounds like Judi is working with a slightly different trim.

glockchick

Ah. Gotcha. I couldn't figure it out cause I always have a seat there so I forget the console is even there. Lol

glockchick

Ok. You owe me girl. ;)

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the beast and took pics of the steps. Let me finish up out here and upload them. Hopefully they'll help some.

1. Twist the stalk 2 turns. It's hard and you have to maneuver it a bit, but it will go. It tries to untwist so you may have to hold it. I have it wedged against the seat for the pic.
a133ddf2.jpg

2. Buckle the belt and tighten.
1ce519a6.jpg

3. Unbuckle and flip the latch plate.
e84118ab.jpg

4. Make sure you're twist is a few inches from the latch plate. I have to push the belt through the slot in the cover to do this.
63d9467a.jpg

5. This is where the cussing comes in. ;) With on hand on the buckle and one on the latch plate, maneuver the buckle into place. I have to hold the latch plate through the slit in the cover and sometimes tilt the seat a bit. It will seem like its too tilted to work, but it'll go in eventually if you keep trying.
232d4c34.jpg

6. Bounce up and down on the dang seat while getting it to click in that last little bit.
1d66e7d5.jpg

7. Test for tightness, swear you're never doing this again, and you're done!
5390ccce.jpg

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You forgot the part where you threaten all your family members with eternal damnation if they dare to unbuckle the car seat for any reason short of a life-and-death emergency.

glockchick

Lol! Too true. My booster rider sitting next to that seat knows she's in deep trouble if she unbuckles that seat. Luckily, she's my most mature and is very careful about it. :) It hasn't happened yet.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
When we had our 1999 I used our bv ff in the middle of the 2nd row. You could still flip the passenger seat. The stinky thing is there are no tethers for the 2nd row. Are they tethering to the 3rd row? The only tethers are outboard in the 3rd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC