Chameleon: Question for you...

hsjwmom

I saw your post on the last page of the p*ssed at Britax thread, this one:

Quote:
They still say as long as the manufacter of the vehicle says it's okay. They can't overwrite the vehicle manufacters. And still Britax limit on the record is 48lbs. If they plan to change that they need to change it in the LATCH manual. I think it was just badly worded as is the rest of it.

I understand that, but for those us with No Limits on Latch and to follow the CR Manual (I drive a Toyota Sienna, and this is Per Toyota) this is great.

Where did you get that info about Toyota's LATCH limits? I thought their limit was 48lbs! That's the only reason I had installed our Regent LBP a few months ago. My LATCH install was perfect. I would LOVE it if I really could use it longer. I couldn't get a good SBP install and wasn't sure what to do next.

ADS

Chameleon

I called them. After talking to a few non intelligent people, I finally was able to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. THey assured me that they did extensive testing of their LATCH load limits and that they have NO limits, but to Defer to the Manuals of the carseats.

mommy2env

I was going to ask the same thing. I talked to toyota today and nobody could give me an answer, all they could say is "we meet or exceed federal standards". I asked if they were telling me that they had no limit and they couldnt say that either. They said, "follow the CR manual, you should be fine, I dont know if I feel comfortable with that. Then I told him, "my seat says I can use it until 80lbs, are you telling me that this is safe?" the idiot ( sorry, I mean rep) said ''why would you have a kid that size in a seat?" I said "well, because its safer" Honestly I cannot believe they cant give us a straight forward answer. I would feel better, If they had no limit that means they would have tested it. Why would they not have that info in their manuals? And they are probably not aware that there are now seats that have higher weight limits, so that even makes me more afraid. What if they are only testing them up to 40, or 60 lbs? And what are the federal standards, is there a certain weight they must be able to pass? I am mad at Britax and Toyota for being clueless:thumbsdown: I will try again tomorrow, I spoke to a total of 4 idiots today and I was tired. Maybe I will get someone with a clue tomorrow. :mad:

mommy2env

I called them. After talking to a few non intelligent people, I finally was able to talk to someone who knew what they were talking about. THey assured me that they did extensive testing of their LATCH load limits and that they have NO limits, but to Defer to the Manuals of the carseats.

Great, I posted at the same time as you. I am glad you were able to get someone with a clue. I had no such luck :( Well now that we know that we have no limit. Up to what weight would you feel comfortable using your seat with latch? My dd is 60lbs and I might be doing it to see if its better than the SBP. I was able to do it SBP, but honestly I dont like how the seat belt gets bunched at the buckle. Thanks chameleon. :D

hsjwmom

Well shoot. I don't know what I'll do now. Keep me updated on what they say...PLEASE? I really don't want to go out in the heat and try the SBP again. Ugh. I'd love to trust that I could use LATCH longer...I doubt dd will get even close to the weight limit before she maxes it out by height. She is already using the top slots (barely) She weighs btwn 46-47lbs (I think) and she will be 7 next month. I just don't know. I'm really tempted to put her in her BG full time. She would love it. I hate it though. Pain in the butt!!

BTW, I finally saw the thread where this was being discussed...doh! Thanks for responding and not just thinking to yourself (*idiot*)

ETA: I posted at the same time as you :) I guess I will go back to LATCH...:D

Chameleon

Well whenever our seat comes...sure is taking a long time. Now I know why. LOL---- I think I will be using the latch until probably 60lbs or so. That's my parental decision.

ktmo

I thought that Britax says the limit is 48 pounds for LATCH. So, even though Toyota doesn't have a limit, we have to go by what Britax says. Is that right?
Katie

LuvBug

thats so confusing! they say all over the place 48, 48, 48... but then they say 60 or even 80 would be ok :confused:
I dont trust anything they say anymore lol!

Chameleon

From the Consumer Q & A: Regent Product Update found here:http://www.britaxusa.net/support/recall.aspx
The instruction manual for LATCH installation, short route for children weighing 40-80 lbs.
(page 12) indicates LATCH is acceptable above the standard 40/48 lb. limit of vehicle
LATCH anchor capacity. Is this true?

Britax product can be installed with LATCH up to the maximum capacity of the restraint provided the LATCH anchor capacity stated in the vehicle owner’s manual meets or exceeds the child’s weight.

EXAMPLE: Vehicle owner’s manual states LATCH anchor capacity is 60 lbs. The Britax Regent youth child seat can be used with LATCH up to 60 lbs. in that vehicle. From 60-80 lbs. the vehicle seat belt system would need to be used.

Please also note the WARNING on the page 13 directing reference to the vehicle owner’s manual for maximum weight rating for their lower anchors.

ktmo

I didn't even catch that. That is interesting. I wonder if they will test their other seats for higher LATCH limits.

Katie

LuvBug

yeah I read it yesterday... but Im still not sure how OK I am with it... I think Ill play it safe until maybe the release some data lol!

LuvBug

I just spoke with a rep at britax(I wanna say her name was Sue Ann or something to that extent, I didnt catch it very well when she said it and didnt ask for it again). This is what she had to say about the LATCH limit of toyota and other vehicles:

I asked her about the using latch to 80lbs and told her that my vehicle said defer to the CR manual. She said that toyota you would quit using at 48lbs. That you ONLY use it past 40/48 if your vehicle specifically states you can. She said that subaru says up to 60 is ok, and then she named one that said up to 80 was ok... but I cant remember which one :confused:
So I will definitely be discontinuing latch at 48lbs as that is what britax has set for toyota.

She has a list of approved latch limits, so if you are unsure- call them!

hsjwmom

Aw nuts! ;) I was REALLY hoping I could go back to using LATCH. Oh well. Back to the drawing board...I do NOT want to go reinstall the Beast. Ugh.

mommy2env

Well that's just weird, I spoke to Susan ( the nice lady :love: ) yesterday, and she said it was okay to use it until 80lbs. I dont know what to do now :confused:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
They have some serious issues with this new manual they need to work out. So, I wouldn't advise anyone that has higher LATCH limits then 48lbs to use it above so. I mean clearly it states 3 different weight limits. The manual says 40-80 with LATCH on page 12 but page 11 say's 48lbs. Then their advisory FAQ page say's 60lbs.

So, To be safe until Britax gets it together on these issue I would advise parents to stick with the 48lbs rule until we know 100% what is correct. I wouldn't want a lurker to see they can use LATCH to 80lbs because they saw us say it and then a week, month or what ever down the road Britax takes this back and that parent never finds out and is unknowning putting their child in harms way. This is something I will be adressing with Michelle from Britax about tomorrow too and have sent NHTSA an email regrading the conflicting LATCH weight limits in the manual & on their website.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC