What would you do?

Oliver79

My SIL's youngest is turning 1 in a few days. She is not car seat savvy nor interested in becoming so. It is just not a priority for her. He is currently in my son's snugride 22. Before that he was in an expired infant seat. Last I checked he was 18 lbs. I try to remind her of the limits frequently, but haven't seen him in it for a while. When I asked about her plans when he outgrows the infant seat she said she's planning to move him into her older daughter's convertible. I have only seen that seat once or twice before this weekend. I'm not sure the 5 year old rides in anything anymore. She was in a broken cosco harness seat being used as a high back booster with the harness straps still in. That's why she always rides in one of our seats if we have her. I was pretty sure it was an older seat, but didn't realize how bad it is. I'm pretty sure it is some sort of Secure Advantage. It was hard to tell because all the stickers are torn off. I looked that up and it seems as though at best it expired several years ago. It is pretty common for her to accept used baby gear and it is likely this was given to her or yard sale.

I was tempted to get her a seat for DN's birthday, but I recently purchased a seat for a teenage student of mine who has a huge 6 month old. I am almost certain that DN will be turned FF in the next few days. Also it is highly likely this seat will be misused or incorrectly installed. My student is adamant about keeping her baby RF until 2 so I decided to dedicate my resources to that situation. However, after seeing how bad this convertible is I feel as though I should try to do something. If I could get a Scenera...maybe the $20 someone said Sears has, how hard will it be to install in a 2004 Suburban? I doubt she will go to a seat check. I'm pretty sure I could follow instructions and check here to make sure it is installed correctly, but it will be taken out and used by other family members as well. I doubt it will be installed correctly after that.

I don't want to sound like I don't want to help...I definitely do. I really worry about the kids getting in an accident. I can come up with the money, but it would require sacrifice. I would do it in a heartbeat if I thought she really would use it correctly and take it seriously. I know she could afford a seat too if it were a priority to her. But I wonder if I should I use up more of my resources to get DN a seat when I'm almost certain it will not be used properly?

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC