NEW regent VENT thread.

MySillyKids

Please keep it nice.

Please, do be sure not to fall into flame mode. Emotions are running high right now, but personal attacks are still not allowed. If you're too angry to post politely, take a break or ignore the other poster altogether.

from UlrikeDG

:)

ADS

LuvBug

:soapbox:

lol! I need people over on my install thread to help! I cant vent until I know if it is ok or not lol!!

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I don't have a Regent.

But if I did... Well, I wouldn't because dh would KILL me... But if I did... I'd kick it. Really hard.

And then I would run and scream and cry like a baby because I have bare feet and kicking the beast would really hurt.

MySillyKids

You wanna kick my seat?..

hmm.. But if i sell it do i have to declare that you kicked it, as an accident?

hmmm.....

:)

arly1983

So far the only offers I have received on the regents have been $200 (or less) ....So lets do some math....

$200 shipped - 6.10 pp fee - 35-40 shipping = 158.9 or 153.90

I paid 259 - 158.9 = 100.10 loss (200.20 for two)

There are no HWH options for $158.9 (316.18 for two, not enough for 1 safeguard)

Why is everyone offering low? Because with the Baby Universe rebate, they can get a new regent for $220 (and I can't blame them)

I have been watching ebay, and new seats are going about 200 +shipping so I can expect a used one to go for less than 200 + shipping. I don't have craiglist in my area....

singingpond

So far the only offers I have received on the regents have been $200 (or less) ....So lets do some math....

$200 shipped - 6.10 pp fee - 35-40 shipping = 158.9 or 153.90

I paid 259 - 158.9 = 100.10 loss (200.20 for two)

There are no HWH options for $158.9 (316.18 for two, not enough for 1 safeguard)

Why is everyone offering low? Because with the Baby Universe rebate, they can get a new regent for $220 (and I can't blame them)

I have been watching ebay, and new seats are going about 200 +shipping so I can expect a used one to go for less than 200 + shipping. I don't have craiglist in my area....

I don't own a Husky or Regent (we do own other Britax seats), but have been tempted by them for several years. Maybe this fiasco will be a buying opportunity for people who actually can fit these things into their cars under Britax's current guidelines (as people with not-fitting seats unload them, or as consumer demand drops, if the problems are ever widely publicized). However, at the moment I'm not sure I would want to buy a Regent even at a discounted price, since I feel so uncertain about the reasons behind Britax's change in install instructions. Also, when I read previous versions of the manual, I always felt pretty confident I would be able to install the seat somehow, since there were choices in there -- recline bar vs. no recline bar, LBP vs. SBP (I know there were some constraints in which combinations were allowed, but there was flexibility). Now, there are basically no choices (especially for those of us without LATCH) -- just LBP below 40 pounds, SBP above 40 pounds, recline bar always. Not only is there no flexibility any more, but, if you get the seat when your child is below 40 pounds, you now have to get two very different installs to work in your vehicle. All of this, statistically, just HAS TO lead to many, many more incompatibility problems.

So, reduced install options AND (at the moment) reduced confidence in Britax -- together this would make me reluctant to buy a Regent right now, even if it were marked down a lot. I really REALLY wish Britax would be less secretive about the test results that led to the change -- I'm willing to exercise some parental discretion, but not in the almost total absence of data which the company is currently insisting on.

Katrin

Morganthe

So, reduced install options AND (at the moment) reduced confidence in Britax -- together this would make me reluctant to buy a Regent right now, even if it were marked down a lot. I really REALLY wish Britax would be less secretive about the test results that led to the change -- I'm willing to exercise some parental discretion, but not in the almost total absence of data which the company is currently insisting on.

ITA -- basically I have to be concerned about severe possible damage to legs and feet WITH the recline bar pushing the seat too far forward or unknown damage without the recline bar to my daughter. I hate not knowing what the issue is with that thing! I want to make an INFORMED decision on which is safer!
RELEASE the DATA, BRITAX!

RFing theoretical breakage of legs is one thing. But a collision with the center console ffing is very real imo. After having 3 surgeries for a 'simple' break & dislocation of my ankle, I truly don't want to risk my daughter's knees, legs, and ankles for an 'enhancement'. Foot bones & knees joints are very easily permanently damaged.

And I've thought seriously about placing her outboard, but for as many cars that have "almost" t-boned either back door during the past year, I really don't want to risk it. The center rear in the Camry is the safest possible position provided she is aligned with the back seat -- not pushed out 3 more inches.
It would really help, if they made that Recline bar shorter and not as deep! Or even have a 2nd option of a curved bar to help around the 'humps' in the centers.

Last edited:

Suzibeck

Britax is really shooting themselves in the foot with this. With other HWH options becoming available, I will more than likely recommend Recaro or the new Triumph, as long as they prove to be decent seats, over Britax.

I don't have a Regent, the kids and I have wanted them, but no way would dh let us get them. But, I'm angry for all of you having to deal with this mess. It seems Britax has had quite a few problems of late, DC harness sticking, MA recline breaking, straps getting twistier... It does seem their quality is lessening. :(

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Until/unless we get this info corroberated by another source, I remain skeptical that a rep at Britax, who was obviously given the exact wording to give to parents and told not to deviate, would suddenly start giving out more info on this issue for no other reason than she was "nice and polite".

LuvBug

Until/unless we get this info corroberated by another source, I remain skeptical that a rep at Britax, who was obviously given the exact wording to give to parents and told not to deviate, would suddenly start giving out more info on this issue for no other reason than she was "nice and polite".

:yeahthat:

Ive tried to sweet talk more info from the ones Ive spoken with... and got nothing more than anyone else got lol!

Connor's Mom

I agree. I do not see this as a totally reliable source. I was very nice yesterday (You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar) and Susan was great answering my questions to the best of her ability and I got nothing that even resembled the answer that that woman posted. And I have yet to receive my return call from the elusive Michelle. And what makes me even more skeptical of her post is the fact that she said that they would be giving away Huskies to the people that can't get the Regent to work with the new install methods. Where are they going to get all these Huskies from and what makes them any different than just using the Regents that people already have with the old install methods if they are truly still safe? I feel that if it is true what she is saying, that the sides are folding in on higher weight kiddos, then they might should have done that research before putting the seat on the market and using those install instructions for 2 years only to come back and say well the sides might collapse in now so ya gatta install it this way.

LuvBug

often times being blunt with a rep can get you the right answer.
When there was a rumor about them releasing a new cover I called and asked and they played dumb... but then I called right back and said I know there will be another cover, called classic I believe, when will it be out... they told me lol!(though it may have been I just happened across the right rep who actually knew about it)

So maybe if someone called and said "I know that the shell is weaker and that is why you are doing this, but instead why dont you make it stronger again" lol! whether its the truth or not :rolleyes: :p

LuvBug

well I just spoke with another rep again and tried the blunt method and she laughed lol! Well ok not laughed, but giggled at the rumor that they were replacing them with huskies(dont know where they would get enough) and the rumor that the shell collapsed(they just found the new configuration tested better).

She took my information and is going to have their other team call me, and she said they will answer my question I had, which was:"did it perform better like in head excursion, or did it perfom better in how it reacts in a frontal crash in ride down, or did it perform better in that the shell did bend at the other weights" lol! so maybe they will answer those... seem simple enough, eh?

I always take what a rep says to me with a grain of salt, but she was nice.

She also said that if you dont need the longer latch strap you do not have to replace it, they are the same but one is longer for the LBP. Also if you do not have leather seats you do not have to put the strips on.

Also I asked her about the using latch to 80lbs and told her that my vehicle said defer to the CR manual. She said that toyota you would quit using at 48lbs. That you ONLY use it past 40/48 if your vehicle specifically states you can. She said that subaru says up to 60 is ok, and then she named one that said up to 80 was ok... but I cant remember which one :confused:
So I will definitely be discontinuing latch at 48lbs as that is what britax has set for toyota.

Morganthe

well I just spoke with another rep again and tried the blunt method and she laughed lol! Well ok not laughed, but giggled at the rumor that they were replacing them with huskies(dont know where they would get enough) and the rumor that the shell collapsed(they just found the new configuration tested better).

I was wondering when someone was going to point out those rumors :D :thumbsup:

Perhaps, I'm just getting Regent Fatigue due to the rollercoaster emotional ride, but I'm almost to the point that I'll follow the new directions for the belt paths, but leave off the recline bar if I can't get the seat sitting back far enough for my sense of safety, instead of going through the whole rigamarole of returning and trying to find another suitable seat. I just wonder if they also retested the need for HUGS, or are they just continuing them due to business as usual? :shrug-shoulders:

Britax has constantly and consistently emphasized that the changes are for enhancements only, not because there are any danger in the old way. Having dd sit on the throne in the center position is about as safe as I can get her in our car. Once again, there's no such thing as absolute perfection (sigh)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC