Can CPST charge for their service?

lourdes

I don't want to be misunderstood, I just want to know, can you make this a full time job or are the CPST force to do the job voluntary?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You are free to charge for your services if you choose to. You're pretty much expected to volunteer some of your time at Safe Kids seat checks, but checks you do on your own time you may charge for. A lot of it depends on your area. In some places, most techs seem to charge, and in others most tend to do it on a volunteer basis.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
In many cases, it's a challenge to get parents to come to the free checks without some sort of incentive (seat giveaway), and it'd be doubly hard to convince parents to pay to be educated on carseat safety.

In the past, I've worked as a CPST for a small retail store, and made reasonable money - plus tips, but the parents often expected an installation service vs an educational service. From what I've seen, the only paid CPST's are those employed in the health care field, and they generally have other educational backgrounds - nurses, etc.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I charge for seat checks. I couldn't make a living on it, though, unless I were employed by an agency, and then I'd likely be doing more than just car seat stuff.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I charge as well. This weekend I did 13 seats and made about $135. Not all of those were at my normal rate (I charge $25 for one seat, $10 for each additional seat) since most were at a group carseat check, but there's no way I could survive on this. But it gives me money for things we didn't have before, and Laine can come with me, so it works out.

I've thought about doing something in a small hospital around here when Laine starts school. Just work in a small maternity ward and check every infant before they're discharged. I'd need to get special needs certified, but otherwise I could do it on my knowledge now. That's not for another 10 months at least, though, so I don't know how it stands.

Wendy

Baylor

carseatcoach said:
If CPSTs charge, they should be insured. This isn't a law, just (IMO) a good idea.

How much is insurance for CPST's?

auto-correct on the loose..

zactayaus

From what I've seen, the only paid CPST's are those employed in the health care field, and they generally have other educational backgrounds - nurses, etc.

I've thought about doing something in a small hospital around here when Laine starts school. Just work in a small maternity ward and check every infant before they're discharged. I'd need to get special needs certified, but otherwise I could do it on my knowledge now. That's not for another 10 months at least, though, so I don't know how it stands.

Wendy

I work for two local hospitals (both owned by the same corporation) in their maternity wards as a paid CPST. I have no other educational background (only graduated high school) and I did not need to be special needs certified. I work 2-3 hours a day, any where from 4-6 days a week (we work on a rotating schedule and there are 15 techs between the two hospitals). The pay is awesome and I would have to work 5-6 hours a day at any other job to make the same amount of money.

Baylor

zactayaus said:
I work for two local hospitals (both owned by the same corporation) in their maternity wards as a paid CPST. I have no other educational background (only graduated high school) and I did not need to be special needs certified. I work 2-3 hours a day, any where from 4-6 days a week (we work on a rotating schedule and there are 15 techs between the two hospitals). The pay is awesome and I would have to work 5-6 hours a day at any other job to make the same amount of money.

Awesome job!

zactayaus

Baylor, I know you live in the Philly area. How far is that from Voorhees, NJ? That's where one of the hospitals is located that I work at. Kac my be working there with me soon. If it's not too far and you are interested I'll let you know when there's another opening.:)

Baylor

zactayaus said:
Baylor, I know you live in the Philly area. How far is that from Voorhees, NJ? That's where one of the hospitals is located that I work at. Kac my be working there with me soon. If it's not too far and you are interested I'll let you know when there's another opening.:)

I am hoping that lemonade will get that CPST course going soon. Do you know any courses soon close in NJ? I'm am close to Yardley pa.

zactayaus

I am hoping that lemonade will get that CPST course going soon. Do you know any courses soon close in NJ? I'm am close to Yardley pa.

We just had 2 courses here last month. As of right now I don't see any more listed. I know there will be plenty up for the Spring. I'll keep my eye out for you and PM you if one pops up.:)

bethng

I get paid $100 for every seat check event I work through the local childrens hospital/safekids/buckle up. When I do private checks I never charge. I didnt go into this for the money. I did it to help children be safer in the car. If I ever was offered money and they refused to take it back, I would send it to safekids as a donation.

luckyclov

CPSTs *can* charge for private seat checks. I don't think carrying liability is *required*, but I do think it's a very good idea, even in states, such as mine, that may have a CPST liability law.

I do not charge for checks.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't carry insurance. Under WA law CPSTs are protected by name under the Good Samaritan law, unless they work for a retail establishment. When I do public checks for groups I'm covered under their insurance.

Wendy

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have been paid for private checks. I don't charge but if someone wants to "tip" me, I do accept money. It's not a lot, the most I've ever been paid was $20. I am willing to drive to other's houses to do my private checks so I do keep the money when I get it to help cover my gas money. All seat check events are volunteer.
I love what I do and don't care if I get paid. I paid out of pocket to take the course and I pay out of pocket to re-cert every time. I do it because I care about the kids.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I carry insurance because even if I could prove I was not at fault (or even if I had a good Samaritan law covering me, which I don't in California), I could still be sued. I would win, but I'd still have to pay for an attorney. Insurance covers the legal costs.

lourdes

The reason why I ask is this, I have a in-home day care, I work 12 hours a day with breastfed babies only, I have been doing this for the last 10 years, this is a draining job, I have a DD ho is 3.7 y/o and she is in Pre school but she wants-needs my attention and when she comes from school all she does is fight with the kids that I take care of in my home, I want to stop working full time but I will need to do some part time job, if I get certified I can do checks as a part time job, I have a midwife ho has offer me the space to give an orientation on her labor classes and if a parent wants a check then it will be up to me to charge if I want, here I will be the only person doing checks that is not a fireman or policeman. In the next year I am planing in becoming a CPST and a la leche league leader.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC