First Years Via carseat & Uppababy Vista?

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
So Uppababy sells various adapters: Peg, Maxi-Cosi, Chicco, & Graco. I think I covered all of them. Does anyone know if any of those will work with the First Years Via infant seat?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You might not have much luck. There aren't that many people who have the Vista, even fewer who have the Via, and therefore, VERY few, I'm sure, who have both.

Sorry!

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
Sorry about the weird repost--I had been having internet issues so I'm not really sure how that happened! Thanks for the responses Patriot!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Via isn't going to work with any adapter but one made for the Via itself. I wanted a Via, but wanted it to work on my Mutsy. The Via has it's own way of connecting that's a bit different from other infant seats out there. It has stroller attachments on the side under the handle, kind of like how Maxi Cosi does there, but it will not work on a Maxi Cosi adapter due the MC's release being on the infant seat and the Via has no release on the seat, needs to be on the adapter itself.

One of our techs here that works at BRU tried the Via on various strollers (BJCS, Maxi Cosi, and other named brands) and it doesn't just "sit" on any of them. It really does need an adapter made specifically for it. And it will not be easy to modify another adapter as you need hooks and a release on the adapter, since the Via has metal loops under the seat to attach the base to. I took a ton of pics and had DH and I brainstorm to see if we could come up with a way to modify something. But, it really involves engineering a new adapter. So, I went with a different infant seat that works on my stroller with out adaptations.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My Via did somewhat work with my BJCM, but it just sat behind the bar. It didn't snap in or anything.

If you find a stroller you like with which the Via will work, go for it. The Via is an AWESOME seat. It is, by far, my favorite infant seat. I like it even more than my KeyFit. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My Via did somewhat work with my BJCM, but it just sat behind the bar. It didn't snap in or anything.

If you find a stroller you like with which the Via will work, go for it. The Via is an AWESOME seat. It is, by far, my favorite infant seat. I like it even more than my KeyFit. :)
While it might sit on a stroller or two, it will not be "compatible" with any of them in that it securely attaches. Having owned a Vista, I would not rely on the bumper bar to hold an infant seat securely, even if it fit decently. The bumper bar isn't designed for that kind of weight or torque. The Vista bar also opens at the side, so I'd fear that unwanted weight/torque possibly could open the bar. I doubt I'd be comfortable with it on any other bumper bar of a stroller either unless that bumper bar was designed to take infant seats. At least then I'd know it was tested to have something sitting on it.

I wish The First Years would have thought a bit more about compatibility when they made this seat. I'm sure they are losing sales because of it. And I thought it would be a super seat (even if they cheaped out on the back foam in the 35# version). Since most every stroller has a Graco adapter available, it would have been cool if they could have come up with an attachment to work on Graco adapters, but that would make the Via compatible and be able to securely attach.

Off on a tangent now, so anyone can ignore the next part if they wish. :D Normally I'd say who cares about infant seat compatibility with a stroller because you can just put babe in the stroller directly or a carrier, but I actually really missed having the feature with DD2. The weather here sucks so bad in the winter that spending the time to get babe into the stroller and out of, in the sub-zero temps and sleet pelting you, when you're only running in to pick up oranges and soup, means you don't end up getting those oranges and soup! LOL And having carried the infant seat by itself and slipped on the ice with it, and having put the infant into a baby carrier and slipped on the ice with the baby, I want that compatibility this time. Means I'm stuck with a SR35 again (had SS last time), but I at least ensure I got the model with the extra foam down the back to keep baby warmer. :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
While it might sit on a stroller or two, it will not be "compatible" with any of them in that it securely attaches. Having owned a Vista, I would not rely on the bumper bar to hold an infant seat securely, even if it fit decently. The bumper bar isn't designed for that kind of weight or torque. The Vista bar also opens at the side, so I'd fear that unwanted weight/torque possibly could open the bar. I doubt I'd be comfortable with it on any other bumper bar of a stroller either unless that bumper bar was designed to take infant seats. At least then I'd know it was tested to have something sitting on it.

Right, that's why I said it "somewhat" worked, and clarified that it didn't snap in. :)

It is definitely compatible with the First Years strollers, but I think those are the only ones with which it is compatible, right? I think?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If u get a strap like the universal adaptor on the b-nimble stroller I bet u could rig it :)

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!
I believe the tech from here tried it on the B-Ready with universal adapter and it didn't work. But of course the OP should try herself on whatever stroller she wants to work with. You never know!

Here are pics of the bottom of the Via that I took when I was trying to make it work in case it's helpful for the OP http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/15642404/1/Via?h=887e41

I did take my Graco adapter to the store and sit the seat on it and it just didn't fit on it in any reasonable way. So I couldn't have just added a strap and used the Graco adapter. And I'm overly picky anyway, so a strap solution wouldn't have been suitable for me.

The main problem with trying this stuff out is that, at least around here, any place that sells the expensive strollers, doesn't carry the car seat adapters in stock most of the time so it's not like you can buy a Via and take it to the baby store and try it out on various adapters to see if you can rig something. Maybe the OP has better baby stores that actually carry these things in stock and will have better opportunities than I did!

aunt83me02

Senior Community Member
Wow, glad to see some more discussion on this topic. I am from Iowa and subscribe to "if you build it they will come :)". So, I bought the Vista for $385 from Zulily. We're planning on TTC in the next 6 months and I have been thinking I want either the Via (actually might try to get the JJ Cole cover), SR35 or the Keyfit 30. I bought the original Compass Infant seat at Big Lots 5 years ago for my niece but returned it because it couldn't be used without the base. I loved it and would have kept it except for that. I really like the idea of the new seat having the carrier lock-offs. I would most likely not even buy an extra base because of that feature. I also have a P3 that I scored for cheap several years ago that I'm sure I could get to work with the Via, but I'd love to be able to use it with the Vista. I also like that their seats have a longer lifespan than Chicco/Graco.

jeminijad

Bumping this up, because I've got a Via on the way and will document what I've tried here.

The Bumbleride Indie and Indie Twin use their bumper bars as universal adaptors, so that is going to be my first try. i'm hoping that a reinforced bar + the strap that comes standard will do the trick on the first try, since I really want an Indie Twin.

I read earlier in the thread that someone tried a B-Ready and couldn't make it work. I'll be trying that as well, since it is also on my short list of possibilities. Of course it is $319 today on Amazon, and I'm tempted to just get one.

If there is a Vista at Buy Buy Baby, I'll try that too.

I'll also try a Peg Aria Twin, if its in store, since I'm really looking for a twin or a modular tandem. I read elsewhere that someone used the Via with a Pliko, but they don't have a twin verson.

Finally if there are adapters available, I'll take a shot at a BJCM/D, but I don't have much hope for this one, since even the approved adapters have the car seats awkwardly suspended way out from the body of the stroller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC