Insurance replacing a discontinued car seat?

keri1292

Friend was in a crash, insurance offered her $40 or the actual price of her car seats which she scored on clearance for less than $40. They were Alpha Omega Sports. Aren't they required to replace them with an equivalent seat. I mean, say I score one of these $100 Wayfair Dionos and crash it the next week. Do I only get the $100 back, not the seat replaced. :confused: Good deals like that don't grow on trees, KWIM?

ADS

zactayaus

Friend was in a crash, insurance offered her $40 or the actual price of her car seats which she scored on clearance for less than $40. They were Alpha Omega Sports. Aren't they required to replace them with an equivalent seat. I mean, say I score one of these $100 Wayfair Dionos and crash it the next week. Do I only get the $100 back, not the seat replaced. :confused: Good deals like that don't grow on trees, KWIM?

Our OS PWKY was in a crash this Spring in MIL's car. I paid $45 dollars for it when I got it on clearance maybe 3 years ago? Since they no longer made that seat they looked at the price of the new SGL PWKY and then prorated it the amount of years I owned the seat (I was upset about this but it ended up working out). They cut me a check for $90 something dollars. So in the end I was pretty happy.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
As with most insurance questions, it depends on the policy and the adjuster. A good argument can be made for replacement value, but honestly, a good argument can also be made for actual price paid.

mominabigtruck

My insurance company said I could buy whatever I wanted and just bring in the receipt and old seats and they wrote a check. I replaced a ma with a husky and an older safety 1st convertible with a blvd. At the time I had progressive and the accident was my fault.
Posted via Mobile Device

crunchierthanthou

Our car has been hit 4 times, and it's varied.

The first time it was a 1 year old RA, and they took the price of new and prorated it down a year (worked out for me because it was about the time that Britax raised their prices).

The second crash was more of a bump in the parking lot, and the at fault's insurance refused to replace the unoccupied GN.

The third time they asked for receipts. I had the one for the CCO, but not the GN. They gave me price paid on the CCO, and replacement price for the GN. Which I then used to buy a RA55, and a Monterey. It all worked out.

The fourth time was minor rear-ending, and both of my seats followed NHTSA's guidelines.

Cath3114

When we were rear-ended in June, I replaced an AOE (6 months old) with a MA70. I sent the receipt for the new seat and was never even asked what the old one had been, nor did I have to turn it in.

keri1292

Huh. They just offered her the actual cost or $40. I just don't understand prorating a seat. If I paid $300 for a new seat with a 6-yr lifespan and it was crashed after 5yrs, I know the monetary value is just $50, but the reality is that it can't be replaced for $50. I guess insurance really varies. Something I never thought much about, surprising since our carseats used to be worth more than the vehicle under them. :eek:

Thanks guys!

crunchierthanthou

I just don't understand prorating a seat. If I paid $300 for a new seat with a 6-yr lifespan and it was crashed after 5yrs, I know the monetary value is just $50, but the reality is that it can't be replaced for $50.

I don't have a problem with it. You'd have to replace it in a year whether it got wrecked or not. I think it's fair for them to repay only the usable lifespan. Of course, I'd prefer full replacement cost, but I don't think they're being shady by prorating. :twocents:

keri1292

I don't think it's shady either. I just know that my kid would be screwed if I crashed my van and they gave me the real value of the almost expired MA I got for an awesome deal. I'd be stuck with a Scenera because I couldn't come up with the rest of the funds to cover a new MA. Great, now something new to stress about. :rolleyes: Gotta build up that car seat fund! ;)

Polola0628

When my DH was in an accident (not his fault) the other insurance (allstate) replaced our Roundabout50 for what we paid, they just checked the receipt (I scanned it and e-mailed it). They would've replaced it w/o the receipt though, for the full value, based on MSRP. The adjuster did this for several other items in the car, including a subwoofer and a car stereo. She wanted us to forward a page with the MSRP, and she added it to our settlement. They had the car, which was totaled and junked by them in their posession. Most items were in the trunk of the car, which was crushed. I highly doubt they even looked at what was in there...Good thing we're honest!

menfusse

It must totally depend on the company and probably even the adjuster you are dealing with. When we were hit, I had Geico and the person who hit me had Nationwide. They pulled the "not talking to insurance" BS so even though we had a police report noting her at fault, they wouldn't pay out until they spoke with her supposedly. I talked to Geico about the process of my paying our deductible and going that route for our seat as well. Geico claimed to have a person "certified to inspect and determine if the seat was safe to use". HA. I told them no such person exists and she kind of back peddled out of it and we never got into enough detail to see what their true policy is.

I just hounded Nationwide every single day until I finally mentioned that I have a sick child, and if I had to replace my seat out of pocket in order to get her to her next doctors appointments over 6 hours away, he could be sure that they would be paying for more than just straight damages and a car seat. They miraculously got in touch with the lady who hit me that very day. After a month. Imagine that. ANYWAY, to make a short story long, we did it all through email. I emailed the page in Graco's book that said replace the seat after any accident as well as pictures of the seat. He did try to lean toward prorating, but I make a very good argument. Ahem. So he just went online and found the cheapest retail price and cut us a check for that.

If it had been a discontinued seat, I would imagine they would have done the same thing if still available but at a discounted price.

Chely7425

Yeah, I think it must really depend on the insurance. For our recent accident I just bought new seats, showed them the receipts, and they gave me what I paid for them. They never asked what was in the crash or what it was worth.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I write this in most insurance threads and I feel like a broken record, but if carseat replacement is crucial to you, read your policy and call your adjuster NOW. Find out if their policy is something you can live with and get it in writing for when you need it, or find another policy that will deliver what you need and get it in writing.

(At this point in my own personal carseat life, I usually have two $13.50 backless boosters in my car, so carseat replacement is not a priority when I shop for an insurance policy.)

bethng

We had pemco when my dd crashed her car with 2 MA's in it. Our insurance said to just go buy what we needed to replace them and bring them the old seats and the reciept for the new seats and they would cut me a check on the spot. Which is what I did. But they got the MAs's naked lol. Sure not giving up my covers!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC