Husky owners - what are you doing?

twom

I have two Huskies (used for kids 70 & 55 pounds), which presumably are still safe using the manual that came with them. Is everyone comfortable with that? We can't necessarily even use the "new" installs without going against our current manuals. For instance, I usually install with my lap/shoulder belts (LBP - haven't tried short yet), but for a trip next week I need to install them both with lap-only belts. In the Husky manual it shows the lap belt being outside the recline bar, but in the new Regent manual it's required to go inside the recline bar. Do I assume it's safe the Husky way, or do I try to do it the Regent way? Also in the Husky manual it only shows the SBP lap/shoulder install *without* the recline bar. It doesn't say you can't use the recline bar, but it also does not mention installing the recline bar anywhere in that installation. What is everyone else doing? Is the Husky different enough that you feel safe using it the "old" way?

Last edited:
ADS

LuvBug

I dont understand what changes they made to the regent that makes it so much different than the husky... I know about the top tether... but if it was that the new placement of the top tether wasnt as safe, then they could just move it back... no??

I have both a husky and regent and am torn...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Honestly, a part of me believes it's all hogwash.... I'm glad I don't have a Regent, but so what? :scratcheshead: I just feel like I'm left with even less answers! :dizzy: What exactly are the differences between Husky & Regent, between crash performance of old installation methods vs. new :confused: Why is all this necessary for Regents, but not my Husky? Is my kid safe? Is this fair to anyone?!
:fencing:
Right now I have Leila's Husky installed short belt path with LATCH in the center of my middle row as per both manuals -- I won't get the LATCH extender strap so Leila would have to move outboard for long belt path with lap/shoulder belt or I'll have to remove my middle row again altogether so that she can be in the center of the 3rd row, which means no one else will be able to ride in the back at all + I won't be able to fold the 3rd row down for camping gear.
:jaw:
So, I'm leaving it the way it is merely for convenience because I want to believe that it meets the standards & my kid is sized to fall within the standards :shrug-shoulders: I want to follow the new rules, but I can't without the LATCH extender strap & I just don't want her outboard because then she'd be directly behind me where I can't see or everytime I want to use the 3rd row I'd be battling with the shoulder belt in my way :blah blah blah:
Thanks Britax :hitselfonhead:

LuvBug

I kept asking about them testing the husky and they kept saying they no longer produce them and such... Im like if they find these new results for the regent, why not see if the husky could be improved for its owners???

also NOT ALL regents are included in the recall! that is even weirder!!! there were a few made before nov and they arent included. I asked why and they said "because they are of a different class" WTF does that mean???

mommyto4

My kids that are using the Huskies are both over 40 pounds. Right now I have the seats installed LBP with top tether and no recline bar. I feel okay with it this way. However, I probably will try the SBP with top tether and with recline bar. If I get a good install this way, I will probably leave it, but if not, I will continue using them the way they are now. I really don't have much choice (at least for my son). He is 7 years old and autistic with about 1 to 1 1/2 inches left until he outgrows it. I plan on using it as long as possible. I've tried him in a booster and he does alright in it, but he tends to slouch and end up with the lap belt up to high on his tummy. So, I want to keep him in a 5 pt. harness as long as possible because the crotch strap keeps him in place.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, if the only change is the tether then shouldn't the new install be the other way around? Heavier kids should benefit more from the shoulder belt running along the top of the seat to help limit head excursion more.... I think that if anything it might be a structural issue with the strength of the plastic frame itself if only lightweight kids can have the reverse belt path?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Different class.... Hmmm -- remember some people started noticing some flakes or flaps of plastic on the shell? Maybe they started trying to use cheaper plastic?

Wish I had my file with the information on what plastic they used before! *&^% computer.

LuvBug

you know... I kept being told "the other changes arent visible" and such... its possible it is a different grade plastic...

trailrunnermom

I have a Husky (DOM 2004) for 6-y.o., 52 lb, 47" DS. It's usually installed LBP, with recline bar (good for sleeping and leg room is not an issue), and top tether.

Yesterday, I installed it SBP, with recline bar and top tether (captain's chair, 2007 Odyssey). I got a good install...except that the seatbelt buckle is against the plastic shell (but not at a sharp angle, if that makes any difference).

Due to the seatbelt buckle issue, I'm going to change it back to LBP, with recline bar, and top tether (the way it was). This will be in compliance with what Britax is saying, at least.

...and I'll wait to hear more info.... :)

Michi

Different class.... Hmmm -- remember some people started noticing some flakes or flaps of plastic on the shell? Maybe they started trying to use cheaper plastic?

I had flakes everywhere! ( Just another thing that ticks me off!):rolleyes:
IMG_1816.jpg

Dillipop

I will continue to use mine LBP with recline bar in my dad's truck with forward of the bight stiff stalks. In the other cars, I will probably use LBP because it just makes it easier. Every time I use SBP the male end of the buckle hits the seat, which I think it ok in the husky manual, bit bothers me.

Michi

This was from the Husky or the Regent???

This was from the Regent.
I called Britax about it and they were puzzled, but they said it was probably just leftover plastic from where the seams on the plastic were 'welded' together.
(The whole 'probably' thing didn't sit well with me!!!)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Maybe I'm pulling this memory out of my @$$, but I think I recall wondering why the Regent was supposedly the same as the Husky, but weighed less.

Kimberly

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
Once someone has a chance to weigh their husky please post. I can weight my regent if needed. Anyone have both a husky and a regent to weigh. One thing I was thinking is i bet those old huskies are gonna skyrocket on ebay.

Kellyr2

I'm leaving mine as they are. Right now, both are LBP with the shoulder/lap belt, tethered, and one has the recline bar in. I'm still waiting on the other recline bar to come to me from Britax. Once it's here, I'll add it.

I might be able to get mine weighed today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC