Baby Carrier Comments Welcomed...

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm about to pull the trigger (I think ;) ) on the following two carriers. I've never see either in person, and have nowhere to see them. If you've got anything to say, or know of a place to find the SSC at a good price, please let me know! :)

I loved my sling for DS. The one I've chosen I've chosen really for no other reason than it's not extravagantly priced and I like the print.

The O&A SSC was recommended by a few as a good choice for bigger moms with bigger babies. ;)

Sling:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/57734565/baby-sling-midnight-surf-ring-sling-baby

SSC:
http://olivesandapplesauce.com/catalog.htm?item=499

TIA! :)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
No experience with either, but my two favorite slings were homemade, one by someone on etsy. That doesn't help at all, huh? :p

The only thing I'd suggest is to get one of them in a different print because they're SO similar. Variety is the spice of life :D

unityco

You know, I was gonna go with something more vibrant, but then DH'd never use them. I was also thinking either of these will coordinate nicely with clothes without being boring solids. :shrug-shoulders: I will reconsider, though. :thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
unityco said:
You know, I was gonna go with something more vibrant, but then DH'd never use them. I was also thinking either of these will coordinate nicely with clothes without being boring solids. :shrug-shoulders: I will reconsider, though. :thumbsup:

If you get a BabyHawk, you can get it reversible. Lots of people do "his" prints on one side and "hers" on the other. Just sayin. :p

Cilia

About his and her prints. Will your DH actually carry the baby? My DH is all for baby wearing, but he gets way too hot wearing, so he seldom does. Pretty much only on hikes. I do not think he's worn DD2 once since she was born. Sure that is partly my fault. I wear DD2 and he has to deal with DD1 and wear her or carry her. I have one ssc that I got just for him and he got to pick the pattern. One year later it is still in the box and it has never been used. I should have gotten the print I really liked... Just saying.

jperiod

Yeah, I got a "neutral" ring sling, wrap, and SSC. DH has worn her twice in a year. He wore DS more, but that was 6 years ago. :rolleyes: Get what YOU want. ;)

BTW, frogmama.com has an awesome exchange and return policy. I think paxbaby might have a good one too? I don't remember.

Ring slings are very hit or miss, depending a lot on the fabric support and shoulder style. Many people have great luck with sleepingbabyproductions.com and her budget friendly slings. She also has wrap conversions! :love:

unityco

Yeah, DH will wear the baby, based on our experiences with DS, but it won't be often (and it would be less if it were a pink flowery carrier. ;)) Even for myself though, I think I want something more subdued just so it does 'go' with more things.

Many people have great luck with sleepingbabyproductions.com and her budget friendly slings. She also has wrap conversions! :love:

Yeah, I've heard good things about her from a couple of places, but I don't like any of her materials :eek: and I don't want to go through the time and effort of finding fabric for a custom job.

Turns out, the sling I liked from Snuggy Baby is sold out now anyway, so I'll probably have to get something different from the carrier now. :eek:

unityco

Well, I finally ordered today; wish me luck that they arrive in Buffalo by Friday when we'll be there so we don't have to make another trip later! I conferred with my sisters too and they both went with my first picks for pattern, so I got that for the SSC, but the sling was sold out. :( I got one from a different seamstress that was much cheaper, so we'll see how it works out. It was so much cheaper I won't be horribly upset if it turns out to be a real dud. :whistle:

leeannk

I know I am very new here and rarely post, but I wanted to let you know I have heard wonderful things about O&A ssc. This time I wanted to sling, but I found I am not that confident with them, I have a linen SBP and also and BBSLEN slingified, I think I may bring them out again now that she is 5mths. I use my new BECO and my Babyhawks (that were from DS2)..I went thru paxbaby and she continually has new ones and pictures and I get carrier envy from her facebook and blog.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
You know I am so slow that I missed posting in this thread and missed replying to your email before you ordered! I suck! I was going to tell you to look at the Manduca SSC (it's the one I bought). But that Olives & Applesauce one looks awesome, so I think you made a good choice. I'm no help with slings as slings and I don't mix. LOL

unityco

NOT! :p

Well, not only was my preferred sling out of stock, I just got an email that my SSC is NOT on its way either. :( I ordered from Paxbaby, and despite what her (somewhat hokey) website says, Midnight Surf's not in stock, and she wanted to charge me Canadian shipping even though it was going to an American address :thumbsdown: (an American address that she included in her note to me. :rolleyes:)

I don't know what to do now. It's too late to order anything else from the 'States, but I begrudge paying 'international shipping'. There's a store in Edmonton that stocks and ships them, but not in my preferred pattern. Their price with shipping, while more, is still reasonable. What to do, what to do? :confused:

Maybe the universe is telling me I'm supposed to order something else. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
NOT! :p

Well, not only was my preferred sling out of stock, I just got an email that my SSC is NOT on its way either. :( I ordered from Paxbaby, and despite what her (somewhat hokey) website says, Midnight Surf's not in stock, and she wanted to charge me Canadian shipping even though it was going to an American address :thumbsdown: (an American address that she included in her note to me. :rolleyes:)

I don't know what to do now. It's too late to order anything else from the 'States, but I begrudge paying 'international shipping'. There's a store in Edmonton that stocks and ships them, but not in my preferred pattern. Their price with shipping, while more, is still reasonable. What to do, what to do? :confused:

Maybe the universe is telling me I'm supposed to order something else. ;)

Okay, that bites! What choices of patterns does the store in Edmonton have?

If you decide to get something else, the Manduca would work for you. It has the internal infant harness system similar to O&A, hood and it also has an adjustable height back. This store http://www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com/item_45/Manduca-SSC.htm has Moonlight in stock with free shipping which you might like for a pattern? I tried to find the Jardin Nuit pattern in Canada for you, because I thought it would be more to your liking, but it seems nobody has it here. :( http://www.manducababycarrier.com.sg/2011-Launches/manduca-carrier-limited-edition-jardin-nuit.html Both Moonlight and Jardin Nuit are limited edition patterns.

The cool thing about the Manduca, is that it's not available in the U.S. so you'd be special. :p And I'm totally not trying to get you to go for it instead, just wanted you to have a back up option to be excited about in case an O&A doesn't work out for you.

Pkf

This may be way too late for the original poster, but there's lots of reviews on www.thebabywearer.com. Theres also a for sale or trade section in the forums section. It's not uncommon to see carriers for sale from Canadian mammas. For most carriers getting a used one is a nice way to save some money and if it's a good quality carrier it can safely used for several kids.
It's a very knowledgable place to ask for carrier comparisons. Also although I didn't look at the etsy site, I'll throw in that if you're buying from an etsy seller make sure that they use appropriate rings (like sling rings) that have been tested for their ability to safely bare weight. Craft rings from a sewing or craft store are not going to be strong enough. Also be sure the fabric is strong enough. Quilters cotton by itself is not strong enough and could rip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC