Pics of ds3 in a GN

momtoo3

Ds3 is 3 years 2 months, 28 pounds and about 36 inches.
I am not thrilled with his fit in the GN at this time. I had originally bought it for him when he turned 1 before I knew better. I liked his fit much better then when he could use the infant/toddler padding. I don't have pictures from 2 years ago though. Ds2 just outgrew it so I was ready to pass it down again, now I'm not so sure.
He kept pulling his legs up because they don't bend at the edge of the seat and he is used to ERF 95% of the time. The first 4 pictures are with the headrest in the second position but it seems high. He is on the 2 slots from the bottom.
DSC06881-1.jpg

DSC06883-1.jpg

This one shows how much room he has at the sides (he was being silly.)
DSC06884-1.jpg

This one kind of shows how his legs don't bend at the edge.
DSC06885-1.jpg

The next 2 show the headrest down a position (lowest position) but it covers the 2nd slots where he is at. It looks better than the 2nd position but I am pretty sure it is not allowed.
DSC06887-1.jpg

DSC06888-1.jpg

We had the same issue with the headrest when we tried the Argos at the store. It was too high when the straps were above his shoulders but in a lower position the straps were too low.

007-1-1.jpg

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

Here is my son in the Nautilus Elite (same seat, it just has lock offs & the headrest can move in closer to the head) at about the same age as your son. He was also pretty close in size as your son is. This is when we very fist got the Nauti for him.
012-8.jpg

016-4.jpg

Here he is in it a very short while later when we moved the straps up.
010-10.jpg

Then here he is within about 3 months of moving them up:
001-17.jpg

004-18.jpg

My son is on the petite side weight wise. He is 5 years old, only weighs about 35-36lbs & is 44 inches tall. The thing I love about the Nauti is how well it hugs to him than most other seats. He does have some room to the sides of him, but not a ton. I feel like the Nauti is a good choice for smaller/more petite kiddos.

Also the pictures above are all within a 6 month time frame. The first pics he was 3 years 4 months & the last pictures he is 3 years 10 months. :) So at this age they grow pretty quickly & fill out the seat a little better.

P.S. Marcus LOVES the Nauti & says it is his favorite b/c he is able to pull his legs up & cross them in front of him even now at age 5. He does this all the time. He tries in his other seats, but can't quite as well as he can in the Nauti.

momtoo3

Mommy2Marcus- Ds3 wore the same pajamas tonight before his leaky sippy. I know he will grow into the seat eventually but he is my slow grower and just had a growth spurt so it could be a while. I am also worried that it will be the same issue every time I need to move his straps up.

Mommy2Marcus

Mommy2Marcus- Ds3 wore the same pajamas tonight before his leaky sippy. I know he will grow into the seat eventually but he is my slow grower and just had a growth spurt so it could be a while. I am also worried that it will be the same issue every time I need to move his straps up.

Those pajamas are the most awsome & softest pajamas ever. I was SO sad when he outgrew those. :( He outgrows everything in length, almost never b/c it doesn't fit in the waist.

Marcus is a fairly slow gainer, but usually tends to grow taller fairly quickly. I can see being worried, but I think he looks pretty good in the Nauti besides the head wings being a little high. Have you thought about trying the Nautilus Elite? It still puts the head wings a little high, but with the headrest being closer in it helps I think. I :love: how the Nautilus Elite cradles his head.

Either way, if you're not comfortable with the seat, then you might look into other seats. The Maestro fits smaller kiddos well. I also own the Maestro. I like it almost as much as the Nauti.

melniemi

I love the fit on the bv70 ffing for my petite almost 5yo. I'd try his ma ffing, you might like it better than the nauti.

momtoo3

Those pajamas are the most awsome & softest pajamas ever. I was SO sad when he outgrew those. :( He outgrows everything in length, almost never b/c it doesn't fit in the waist.

Marcus is a fairly slow gainer, but usually tends to grow taller fairly quickly. I can see being worried, but I think he looks pretty good in the Nauti besides the head wings being a little high. Have you thought about trying the Nautilus Elite? It still puts the head wings a little high, but with the headrest being closer in it helps I think. I :love: how the Nautilus Elite cradles his head.

Either way, if you're not comfortable with the seat, then you might look into other seats. The Maestro fits smaller kiddos well. I also own the Maestro. I like it almost as much as the Nauti.

He has a Maestro in my FIL's car that he shares with my 4 yr old nephew. I do like his fit better in the Maestro than the GN. The only down side is he complains at times about the straps rubbing his neck. I am thinking of holding out for the Evenflo SecureKid.

momtoo3

I love the fit on the bv70 ffing for my petite almost 5yo. I'd try his ma ffing, you might like it better than the nauti.

This is most likely what I will end up doing until the SecureKid comes out and then I will try that out. I was just hoping that when I turn him FF in my van (sometime between now and the spring) he would be able to climb into his seat himself but he can't in the MA70. I am also having an issue with the bolts on the MA70, again.

tracee877

We're in the same boat with the Nauti right now. My DS is just now over the 2nd slots but when I moved them up they are just too high and I like the headrest surrounding his head, not above it. So we are retiring the Nauti until he grows some more. Your DS is so cute!

judesmommy

my DS is almost exactly the same age as yours and we recently tried switching to FF as well. We used the Nautilus because I had also bought it at one before I knew better. Anyways, so it turned out he HATTEED it! screaming everytime I put him in and telling me it hurts him. We had other problems with it too.. like I couldn't lift him over the cup holders to get him in, and the buckle would stick like all the time. So I gave the Nauti to my aunt, whose child is older, and got a Britax Regent for 50 bucks. DS couldn't be happier and is totally comfortable now. That being said, a lot of people love the Nautilus, and I always recommend it for friends and family. It just didn't fit my little one as well as I had expected... just wanted to share my perspective.

Mom-of-Two

I love how my 3.5yo fits in his MA compared to his Nauti, when they are smaller kids they just look so comfy and secure in a smaller fitting seat! But, he does ride in a Nauti in my van full time, gets in and out and also buckles and unbuckles himself already! (of course I make sure straps are tight, etc after he does so)

I will also say it takes some getting used to the Nauti after being in a Britax, just comfort wise, padding, resting, etc.

As long as the straps fit him snugly and he is at the proper slot, he will grow into it and is totally safe, I remember when I got my Britax Regent, my DD was 3.5 and it swallowed her whole!!! So funny to look back at those pics! Now, at 7, she is still in that thing and actually just now looks to fit exactly right! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC