spica cast for 2 year old (ez-on, radian)

aja

my two year old broke his leg this week and is in a spica cast. :(

at the hospital they fitted him for an ez-on harness. the one he ended up with is snug long ways and around the cast, but on his chest above the cast it is quite loose at the tightest setting (i could slide my whole hand under it). we have a couple of appointments we have to take him to in the next week and i want some assurance that this will be ok. i'm thinking with a sweatshirt on it won't be as loose (he was topless when they fitted him) but that's not alot of peace of mind. i intended to get pics of him in the harness but the trip home was so awful it didn't happen.

after the next week he will be able to sit upright. we have a radian xtsl. does anyone know if this will work with a spica cast? we also have an avenue, myride, young sport, and como. i'm thinking the avenue might work but he is over the weight limit in the cast. the other seats have such high narrow sides i just don't see it working.

here are pics so you can see the angle, shape and size of it:

6329073879_0c56840758.jpg

6329824624_fcc4ed187f.jpg

6329826260_9d3bef9c99.jpg

ADS

aja

oh, also, is it ok if he has alot of pillows under him in the ez-on harness? not between him and the harness or anything obviously but under him to get him at the right angle.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
An EZ-on Modified vest does not have to fit as tightly to the body as a 5pt harness, so what you are describing actually sounds OK. Looking at teh pics, I think you have a pretty good chance of the Radian or the young sport fitting.

luckyclov

An EZ-on Modified vest does not have to fit as tightly to the body as a 5pt harness, so what you are describing actually sounds OK. Looking at teh pics, I think you have a pretty good chance of the Radian or the young sport fitting.
Yeah, that. I think the MyRide might work, too.

aja

Eclipsepearl

Oh poor thing!

Can't help with the question but just sending moral support. I had that as a baby but treatment was started at 8 weeks. Finished at 2 1/2 with a brace. I walk normally today, no problems, no arthritis (that was a fear but it didn't happen). I had basically no hip sockets and I did pass it on, less severely, to two of my three children. They only had soft harnesses which fit into larger car seats okay.

Ask about when they change casts. They could change the positioning of the legs, which could affect your choice of car seat. Just a heads-up!

What did my parents do in the car? I'm old enough that I was just put in the back of a station wagon. No car seats when I was little. Not recommended! I'm going to crow that "I didn't have a car seat and I'm okay" :rolleyes: I'm happy nothing went wrong-seriously!

P.S. Is your child of Celtic descent? It also shows up in the Jewish community too sometimes but the doctors were surprised. They knew we're Jewish but I had an Irish grandparent who had it. Just thought I'd throw in that factoid for fun!

aja

Oh poor thing!

Can't help with the question but just sending moral support. I had that as a baby but treatment was started at 8 weeks. Finished at 2 1/2 with a brace. I walk normally today, no problems, no arthritis (that was a fear but it didn't happen). I had basically no hip sockets and I did pass it on, less severely, to two of my three children. They only had soft harnesses which fit into larger car seats okay.

Ask about when they change casts. They could change the positioning of the legs, which could affect your choice of car seat. Just a heads-up!

What did my parents do in the car? I'm old enough that I was just put in the back of a station wagon. No car seats when I was little. Not recommended! I'm going to crow that "I didn't have a car seat and I'm okay" :rolleyes: I'm happy nothing went wrong-seriously!

P.S. Is your child of Celtic descent? It also shows up in the Jewish community too sometimes but the doctors were surprised. They knew we're Jewish but I had an Irish grandparent who had it. Just thought I'd throw in that factoid for fun!

hey, i'm not sure what diagnosis you had as an infant, but it sounds rough! glad your children were effected less severely.

this was just an injury (fracture) caused by 2 year old monkey shenanigans. he should wear this cast for 6 weeks then nothing after that.

gsdguenter

You got a lot of great advice, but I had to chime in and say I hope he gets better soon!

I can't imagine laying down like that for a week and then being in that cast for 6 weeks as an active toddler :(

aja

he does fit in a radian. he's going to need some kind of cushion or pad behind him to keep his back at a comfortable angle. should i use rolled up receiving blankets for that?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That looks great! If his back gets sore because of the gap from the cast you can roll up a hand towel or two to full the gap and give him the support he needs. But he may be fine without it.

aja

we just did a test run to pick up lunch. he was comfy the whole time. and ftr i untwisted the harness before installing.

6345442876_bd96fe89f0.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I didn't notice that. Yeah, that needs to come off if it's evenflo. Radians of a certain age (pre SuperLATCH) may use a Britax chest clip, but not Evenflo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC