10 month old girl which seat should i use?

Pixels

A child between 12 and 23 months of age is five times more likely to be killed in a side impact crash when that child is forward facing.

Rear crashes are statistically rare compared to forward or side. Also, speeds are generally much lower. Only 4% of fatalities happen from rear impacts.

ADS
For now, yes, she is safer in the Snugride if she hasn't outgrown it by either height or weight. The seat has not been tested with a blanket to push it out away from the vehicle seat back like you have. There is no way of knowing whether it is safe or not, so we have to assume it isn't.

Are you aware of the reasons why children need to remain rear-facing through their second year? You have the legal right to make that decision for your child, but at the very least please let it be an informed decision. My recommendation would be to get a higher-weight convertible car seat that is compatible with your vehicle in a rear-facing position. If money is short, you can get a Scenera 40RF at Target for around $50. Once your child outgrew that seat rear-facing (which would probably be by height well before reaching 40 lbs) then assuming that she hasn't outgrown the Evenflo seat yet and it hasn't expired, you could put her back in that in a forward-facing position.

Well i live in canada so we don't have target up here and our prices are higher than yours so i can't seem to find a car seat for her beside the snugride that goes over 35 lbs. if could get that car seat you recommended for that little i would get it how ever i can't find it anywhere around here. if you would know that would be a great help!

canadiangie

I've asked that this thread be moved to the Canadian forum. :)

Edit: Awesome, it's moved over, but now I'm too tired to post! Hopefully a few of the Canadian techs will chime in soon. I'll be around tomorrow...

Last edited:

featherhead

Well i live in canada so we don't have target up here and our prices are higher than yours so i can't seem to find a car seat for her beside the snugride that goes over 35 lbs. if could get that car seat you recommended for that little i would get it how ever i can't find it anywhere around here. if you would know that would be a great help!

Actually, the Scenera that rear-faces to 40 lbs is only $60 right now at Walmart (unless the price has changed since I was last there). And yes, this is Canada:)

canadiangie

Hi jennifer,

I thought I'd get your thread brought to the Canadian forum for a few reasons. I wanted you to know there's a Canadian forum, and I wanted you to get some advice from a few Canadian techs and advocates. I also wanted you to see that lots of Canadian kids rear face past age 1 and 22lbs. Look in the siggies around here and you'll see plenty who are well over 2 and beyond that are still rear facing. In fact my own kids rear face well past age 3 and they're happy as clams. :)

It sounds like you might be interested in a seat that can rear face your daughter longer than just 30lbs, and maybe one that works better with your sculpted seats? I know not everyone likes the knobs on the Triumph and Triumph Advance. It's kind of love/hate.

Do you have a budget in mind?

V

VanIsleMommy

I'm also in Canada however I'm not a tech, but I am a parent :)

There is a reason that cars, car seats, etc... are all tested in front end collisions. Front end collisions account for almost half (44%) of crashes. Yes, there are rear end collisions (I was in one ten years ago that messed my back up permanently) but every time I get in the car the best I can do for my son is to prepare for the most likely scenario. So my son is 3 and still RF. Statistically, he is 71% less likely to be injured while rear facing even taking into account rear and side collisions. That's pretty good odds if you ask me!

I realize that most parents in Canada turn their kids forward facing at age 1, and by law you're allowed to turn her at 1 if she is 22 pounds and walking unassisted, however I would highly recommend keeping her rear facing as long as you can. Sometimes it takes a while to change a culture's habits, 20 years ago we used to place babies on their tummies to sleep... now we know that back is best statistically speaking so that's what we do :)

I had that seat so I understand the problem with the knobs. I'm not sure if the towel at the front of the seat is safe or not but if she still fits her infant seat with enough head room she can go in there. If you're interested in buying her a new seat, I would suggest taking her with you to the store and looking at which seats have the highest rear facing limits and shell heights. Of the top of my head, the graco myride 65 rear faces to 40 pounds and forward faces to 65 pounds and is pretty tall, the true fit rear faces to 35 pounds but has a very tall shell (best for tall skinny babes), the safety first air protect I think rear faces to 40 pounds but the shell height is a bit shorter, there are some other ones out there in various price ranges from a cosco to a britax or radian with decent rear facing limits. Until January, you can sell your two seats to help recoup some of the costs (after January you can't sell a used seat unless it is manufactured after 2012, with some exceptions).

Just my two cents, take it or leave it, and best of luck :)

Hi there thank you for the car seat info. i found the true fit on the internet but i don't seem to find a place close to me that sells it. so i ended up buying the evenflo because that is the one i could afford at the time i have only had it for a week or so. but ya i am going to put the graco one back in for now until i can't figure out what do. do you know a store that sell the true fit car seat if so i would love the information thanks!

Hi jennifer,

I thought I'd get your thread brought to the Canadian forum for a few reasons. I wanted you to know there's a Canadian forum, and I wanted you to get some advice from a few Canadian techs and advocates. I also wanted you to see that lots of Canadian kids rear face past age 1 and 22lbs. Look in the siggies around here and you'll see plenty who are well over 2 and beyond that are still rear facing. In fact my own kids rear face well past age 3 and they're happy as clams. :)

It sounds like you might be interested in a seat that can rear face your daughter longer than just 30lbs, and maybe one that works better with your sculpted seats? I know not everyone likes the knobs on the Triumph and Triumph Advance. It's kind of love/hate.

Do you have a budget in mind?

well i was hoping for under 100. i tried looking on the walmart web site, and the only car seats i could find was a safety 1st car seat that rf to 35lbs but that is the same as the graco so i don't really see the point of buying that car seat. in Saskatchewan so i don't know where to find this cosco rf 40lbs one so. HELP lol

Hi ladys so i went on the wal-mart site again to check out this car seat

Safety 1st Scenera LX Car Seat in a Bag - Marianne

and this goes to 40 lbs rf, would this be okay because i'm sure will our grow this car seat by height before weight, so i think this is pretty close to the cosco one you had mentioned before. let me if this is one you were thinking of!:yeahthatlove:

how ever it has the same height limit as the graco one tho which is 32 in tall and she is close to 29 in tall already so i don't know if buying that one would be good

Brigala

CPST Instructor

how ever it has the same height limit as the graco one tho which is 32 in tall and she is close to 29 in tall already so i don't know if buying that one would be good

If it says on the Walmart website that the Scenera only rear-faces to 32 inches, then that is a misprint. In the US at least, the Scenera requires a child to be a minimum of 34" tall to face forward. I don't know whether that rule applies in Canada (I'm fairly sure it does) but I would bet money that it doesn't have a 32" height limit.

V

VanIsleMommy

I have seen the true fit in Zellers, I'm not sure on the price. From what I recall, the scenera had a similar height to the safety first (in fact I beleive they are both made by the parent brand Dorel?) which wasn't super high. I have a friend who bought one for her son and the material is falling apart, I don't know if that's a common problem or not. as for the safety first, I'm pretty sure it does have a limit of 32" in canada :(

The graco myride seems to be out of stock most places but may be coming back in january, if she's ok the current seat for a little while? I see it's available on sears.ca though so it might be in stores too if you have one close by.

tjskids.com has a graco convertible on sale that RF to 40 pounds, I don't know the height limit or shell height (there is a list on the main page on this site that might tell you, or you could call them, they're pretty good about stuff like that)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If it says on the Walmart website that the Scenera only rear-faces to 32 inches, then that is a misprint. In the US at least, the Scenera requires a child to be a minimum of 34" tall to face forward. I don't know whether that rule applies in Canada (I'm fairly sure it does) but I would bet money that it doesn't have a 32" height limit.

The minimum ff'ing height limit in Canada is 29" and the max rf'ing height limit in Canada (according to manual and labels,) is 32".

(How much money do I get? :cool: :love: )

eta: I am speaking specifically of the Scenera height limits. Note that different seats have different height limits and most manufacturers do not limit themselves to a maximum 32" rf'ing height anymore when it comes to the infant/child seats.

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Hi ladys so i went on the wal-mart site again to check out this car seat

and this goes to 40 lbs rf, would this be okay because i'm sure will our grow this car seat by height before weight, so i think this is pretty close to the cosco one you had mentioned before. let me if this is one you were thinking of!:yeahthatlove:

The shell height on the Scenera is quite a bit higher than the Graco Snugride 35 (SR35) that you have right now. As for how you feel about the numerical rf'ing height limit, you'll need to read a few threads around here as that 32" has been discussed ona number of occassions. Only you can decide whether you're comfortable exceeding the numerical rf'ing limit and going more by how your daughter fits, or whether a seat without that 32" limit would be better suited for you.

There was a thread awhile back here that was linking to a sale on the True Fit on a website - it was one I hadn't heard of before so I'm blanking on the company name, but I bet someone else here might remember it. Sometimes the True Fit adjuster is difficult to access, but usually it only happens in vehicles with really flat seats. Your seats are sculpted enough to give you difficulty with the knobs in the Triumph, so you shouldn't have any difficulty with the True Fit at all.

It may have a 35lb rf'ing weight limit, but your daughter is at the age where weight gain slows down, and the SR35 is outgrown by height before weight in the majority of cases.

I think it's the right call to switch back to the Graco seat. I'm not comfortable with having something in the space between the car seat and the vehicle seat back. So if there's nothing that can be done to make the knobs more accessible then I think you're right to look at going with a different seat.

well thank you for that information. i am going to put the sr35 back in until she out grows it, and then i guess she will have to front facing because probably by the time she out grows it she will be year but will have to see out that goes for her. but for now i'm going to put the Graco sr35 back in! thank you for the Canadian information!!! that i good to know! :)

Brianna

Just a thought- I'm not a car seat technician so these are just ideas and I'll let somebody else confirm- but your vehicle has 3rd row bench seats? Have you tried installing the Triumph in the 3rd row, and does that bury the knobs?

Once she outgrows the Snugride, wouldn't it be safer for her to continue to rear face in the Triumph in the 3rd row than to forward face in the 2nd row? I would hate to see a 1 year old forward facing if it's avoidable.

Just a thought- I'm not a car seat technician so these are just ideas and I'll let somebody else confirm- but your vehicle has 3rd row bench seats? Have you tried installing the Triumph in the 3rd row, and does that bury the knobs?

Once she outgrows the Snugride, wouldn't it be safer for her to continue to rear face in the Triumph in the 3rd row than to forward face in the 2nd row? I would hate to see a 1 year old forward facing if it's avoidable.

i would try that if i had stow and go but i don't and the 3 rd row seats are so close the front bucket seats that the seat would hit the bucket seat, it's so close i don't even think i would be able to get it in there with out it being front facing. but for now i just finished putting the sr35 back in the van so we will go with that for now and see how much she grows in the next few months! at least this way she isn't getting into a cold car seat when we go outside.

snowbird25ca

well thank you for that information. i am going to put the sr35 back in until she out grows it, and then i guess she will have to front facing because probably by the time she out grows it she will be year but will have to see out that goes for her. but for now i'm going to put the Graco sr35 back in! thank you for the Canadian information!!! that i good to know! :)

I'd also suggest keeping an eye out for deals on seats or maybe save some money up. If she has plenty of room left in the SR35 still - and 2.5" above her head should get you a few months anyways, you may be able to save some money to buy a different seat before she outgrows it. It really is so much safer to keep a child under 2 years rear-facing that I encourage it whenever possible provided the child fits the seats available. At her age, I'd definitely encourage buying a seat that will last her longer. If she was just about 2 I wouldn't feel the same, but for a kid who is just barely turning 1, I'd absolutely suggest it. Kids that age are just at such a higher risk ff'ing compared to rf'ing.

I know you mentioned ff'ing your other kids at 1yr old, but here's just a bit to ponder... when they were younger, you didn't know any different. Things have changed a lot in the last few years - more data has become available, seats with higher rf'ing height and weight limits have become available - and it has become easier to find that knowledge that 5 years ago would've only been available to those who really searched it out. I wouldn't say it has reached the point of being common knowledge yet, but the knowledge is getting much more widespread and more and more people are waiting to turn their kids ff'ing.

It ultimately is your decision, but just because you've done something one way with one child, doesn't mean you have to do it the same way with the next. The old saying "when you know better, you do better" applies to pretty much everything in life the way I figure, and that applies to carseats too. :)

I guess the question you need to ask yourself, is if you were in a collision after ff'ing her at the minimums, and she suffered a head or neck injury that you know rf'ing would've prevented - would you regret the decision to keep to the status quo and ff at the minimum?

It's your choice to make - I just feel it's important that big choices like these are made with as many facts as possible - and sometimes hearing the viewpoint of others can be helpful in figuring out what's right for you and your family. :thumbsup:

If you are going to be ff'ing her at one, keep in mind that she'll need to be walking unassisted as well. There has been a change to the Canadian standards and while provincial law doesn't reflect it yet, seats should be used according to the correct standard. :)

(There is a proper use law in every province, and if your evenflo seat has a 22lb minimum, then it was certified to the new standards which requires walking unassisted as a minimum to ff. Unfortunately, some manufacturers neglected to put that very important requirement in their manuals, but it is a requirement in order to use the seat according to standards - and in some provinces the wording of the law is that a seat which meets standards must be used - if you use a seat ff'ing with a child who can't walk unassisted than you're using the seat in a way that doesn't meet standards and that could be enough to get a ticket depending on the knowledge level of the officer.)

V

VanIsleMommy

The minimum ff'ing height limit in Canada is 29" and the max rf'ing height limit in Canada (according to manual and labels,) is 32".

(How much money do I get? :cool: :love: )

the radian XT I have states a maximum height limit rear facing as 44" ( http://www.skjp.com/simg/21826720.pdf ) . also some car seats don't really state any height limit, and just use the 1" rule (I beleive the true fit is one). so you won't have to turn her forward facing when she's 32", you still have some seats that will allow you plenty of room to grow.

so if you invest in a car seat with a good RF height and weight, that seat will also last you a lot longer when you do eventually turn her forward facing.

selinajean

the radian XT I have states a maximum height limit rear facing as 44" ( http://www.skjp.com/simg/21826720.pdf ) . also some car seats don't really state any height limit, and just use the 1" rule (I beleive the true fit is one). so you won't have to turn her forward facing when she's 32", you still have some seats that will allow you plenty of room to grow.

so if you invest in a car seat with a good RF height and weight, that seat will also last you a lot longer when you do eventually turn her forward facing.

I think that post was specific to the Canadian Scenera, though I was confused by it at first too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC