10 month old girl which seat should i use?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
the radian XT I have states a maximum height limit rear facing as 44" ( http://www.skjp.com/simg/21826720.pdf ) . also some car seats don't really state any height limit, and just use the 1" rule (I beleive the true fit is one). so you won't have to turn her forward facing when she's 32", you still have some seats that will allow you plenty of room to grow.

so if you invest in a car seat with a good RF height and weight, that seat will also last you a lot longer when you do eventually turn her forward facing.

I think that post was specific to the Canadian Scenera, though I was confused by it at first too.

Thanks Selina, the post was specific to the Scenera - hence why I'd quoted the lady talking about the Scenera limits. I hadn't realized it could be interpreted differently, so I appreciate you clarifying my comment for me.

ADS
V

VanIsleMommy

phew! I have to admit I had a minor panic attack when I read that the first time, I totally misunderstood and had to run out to get my manual LOL

snowbird25ca

phew! I have to admit I had a minor panic attack when I read that the first time, I totally misunderstood and had to run out to get my manual LOL

No worries. Lots of seats don't even have anything more than 1" in terms of rf'ing in the manual and instead employ one maximum height limit for the seat in general. There are many variations out there. You can rest assured that if I quote somebody speaking about a specific seat than a short comment is specific to that seat I quoted about. Anything other than that seat mentioned in a quote and there would be a larger description accompanying the comment. I did edit my comment though just in case others misinterpreted it. :thumbsup:

well i have looked at the Graco convertible one (not sure of the name) and that one seems the best as it rf to 40lbs and ff to 65lbs. but i have one of those husbands that says she is fine, and he doesn't really see the point of getting a different car seat after we just bought the evenflo. so he gets up set when i think they need a car seat. i think is mostly due to the fact he doesn't think it's necessary to spend that much money on a car seat. so i don't know if i will be able to buy another car seat we are on a budget and only one income. but you guys car find a car seat for under 100 that will work for her then i would willing to look into it but for now the only ones that go rf to 40lbs are a far bit of money any suggestions would be great!

canmom

well i have looked at the Graco convertible one (not sure of the name) and that one seems the best as it rf to 40lbs and ff to 65lbs. but i have one of those husbands that says she is fine, and he doesn't really see the point of getting a different car seat after we just bought the evenflo. so he gets up set when i think they need a car seat. i think is mostly due to the fact he doesn't think it's necessary to spend that much money on a car seat. so i don't know if i will be able to buy another car seat we are on a budget and only one income. but you guys car find a car seat for under 100 that will work for her then i would willing to look into it but for now the only ones that go rf to 40lbs are a far bit of money any suggestions would be great!

You mentioned that you just purchased the Evenflo seat within the last week?? If so, can you return it?

no it was used in moving vehicle and my husband used the box and spray painted all over it. so no i can't, i probably could have if i he hadn't painted on it. but now i can't.

snowbird25ca

no it was used in moving vehicle and my husband used the box and spray painted all over it. so no i can't, i probably could have if i he hadn't painted on it. but now i can't.

Could you try and sell it locally maybe? Canadian Tire and Sears haven't cleared out their old stock yet, so it's possible you'll see the My Ride price drop significantly still. And I expect the complete air and onside air will as well. The Onside Air is based on the Scenera and has a 36" rf'ing height limit with 40lb rf'ing and 40lb ff'ing. It's regularly $139.99 so I expect to see it drop below 100 once they start to clear out those ones... it won't last most kids til booster, but should last her until she's 3 years old anyways (even once she's ff'ing.) If you can get a complete air then it would last her til she's ready for a booster.

I know there are a ton of choices and things to consider. Hopefully a great deal comes up soon and it simplifies things for you. :)

canadiangie

Could you try and sell it locally maybe? Canadian Tire and Sears haven't cleared out their old stock yet, so it's possible you'll see the My Ride price drop significantly still. And I expect the complete air and onside air will as well. The Onside Air is based on the Scenera and has a 36" rf'ing height limit with 40lb rf'ing and 40lb ff'ing. It's regularly $139.99 so I expect to see it drop below 100 once they start to clear out those ones... it won't last most kids til booster, but should last her until she's 3 years old anyways (even once she's ff'ing.) If you can get a complete air then it would last her til she's ready for a booster.

I know there are a ton of choices and things to consider. Hopefully a great deal comes up soon and it simplifies things for you. :)

The OnSide Air is $80 at my walmart. It's been marked down for a few weeks now. And I just came home from walmart, so I know it's still $80 as of today...

Well i have to go to wal-mart one of these day here soon at she needs some new long sleev under shirts so as of right now the graco is working good but she is very heavy in it. but i don't take her out in it when we are going in the house the car seat is warm when she gets in. but i will have to have a look at the onside air one and see. thank you for letting me now about the sale i will check and see if it's on sale in my wal-mart store!

i don't know that i should buy another car seat, i don't know if i can justify that to my husband. i think he will blow a socket! if i buy another one. as i have 2 evenflo momentum that i'm not using because 1. when it's rf i can't tighten the straps because the angle that it's at when installed rfing is so weird i can't pull up it wont tighten and because it's rfing i can't pull down so i can't tighten it, and 2. i put my 3 year old in a graco nautilus because the sides of the momentum where hitting her shoulders so she has having trouble getting in and out and again the straps were hard to tighten 3. the straps would always get twisted so you have them in the seat but them spend 10 min on each seat getting the straps untwisted . i guess i am going to have to stay away from evenflo they seem to have all the same problems all there shells are the same so they all have the same weight rating, and problems no matter what eveflo you buy. and i have tried selling them but the people always want them to go to a place were it is costing them more to buy and send to them , when they could spend less and just buy a new one where they are. so then i have to cancel it because i only have canada post in my town so it's hard to try to sell 3 car seats in my area. so i am at a point right now where i don't want to spend anymore money but i also know that i need a seat that will work in the van. so at this point i don't know what do.:confused::thumbsdown:

V

VanIsleMommy

I would explain to your DH that the evenflo is not compatible with your van's seats, and that not all seats are compatible with all cars but there's no way to know until you install them. You could also probably sell him on a new seat by arguing that she can use it longer, so in the long term it's a better investment. You can also quote him some of the statistics (men's brains operate that way haha) to prove that it's safer for her.

If you can sell your evenflo to pay for some of the cost of the new seat it may not be that much more out of your pocket.

If you ever need help justifying a baby purchase to DH I'm your woman :p My son has had 6 seats in the last 3 years... (don't ask!) and at first DH would shake his head and complain about my car seat problem. I just picked up a free seat to use for a car seat clinic the other day and he walked by yet another car seat in the house and didn't even ask LOL! :)

snowbird25ca

i don't know that i should buy another car seat, i don't know if i can justify that to my husband. i think he will blow a socket! if i buy another one. as i have 2 evenflo momentum that i'm not using because 1. when it's rf i can't tighten the straps because the angle that it's at when installed rfing is so weird i can't pull up it wont tighten and because it's rfing i can't pull down so i can't tighten it, and 2. i put my 3 year old in a graco nautilus because the sides of the momentum where hitting her shoulders so she has having trouble getting in and out and again the straps were hard to tighten 3. the straps would always get twisted so you have them in the seat but them spend 10 min on each seat getting the straps untwisted . i guess i am going to have to stay away from evenflo they seem to have all the same problems all there shells are the same so they all have the same weight rating, and problems no matter what eveflo you buy. and i have tried selling them but the people always want them to go to a place were it is costing them more to buy and send to them , when they could spend less and just buy a new one where they are. so then i have to cancel it because i only have canada post in my town so it's hard to try to sell 3 car seats in my area. so i am at a point right now where i don't want to spend anymore money but i also know that i need a seat that will work in the van. so at this point i don't know what do.:confused::thumbsdown:

I would check the recline angle of the momentum. That adjuster is pretty smooth so you shouldn't be having troubles with it - and it should be pretty readily accessible when rf'ing. If you grab the strap near the seat it shouldn't really be that hard to tighten. If the infant padding is still in, you can remove it and that should make it easier to prevent the straps from twisting. it's worth a try anyways.

canadiangie

Reclining the captains chair so you can access the knobs, and then sitting the captains chair back up would probably work. Is there a reason this isn't an option? I know it will take a few extra seconds, but it might be easier than having hubby blow a socket. :p

I would explain to your DH that the evenflo is not compatible with your van's seats, and that not all seats are compatible with all cars but there's no way to know until you install them. You could also probably sell him on a new seat by arguing that she can use it longer, so in the long term it's a better investment. You can also quote him some of the statistics (men's brains operate that way haha) to prove that it's safer for her.

If you can sell your evenflo to pay for some of the cost of the new seat it may not be that much more out of your pocket.

If you ever need help justifying a baby purchase to DH I'm your woman :p My son has had 6 seats in the last 3 years... (don't ask!) and at first DH would shake his head and complain about my car seat problem. I just picked up a free seat to use for a car seat clinic the other day and he walked by yet another car seat in the house and didn't even ask LOL! :)

well im glad to hear that i'm not the only one that has a car seat problem lol. but because i have been in an accident i know the importance of having a good car seat that will protect your kids. i love the evenflo i like the knobs for tightening the straps i find it's easier than pulling on the string. i am still thinking things through she is in the graco sr35 right now and still has lots of room. but i'm looking for a car seat that i think will work. but i'm taking my time ya i'm thinking about the onside air at walmart that is on for 80 but i don't have a wal mart were i live so it all has to be planned. but it's good to know that it's okay to spend money when it comes to your kids safety!it's just hard when you have husband who doesn't really know anything about safety and why sometimes a car seat doesn't work.:cool:

V

VanIsleMommy

if you can recline the chair as mentioned that might work, but honestly I had the same problem with my evenflo triumph with my 4runner seats. they weren't curved around as much as your seats are but they had a slight curve to them which made them almost impossible to access. I do like the knob adjustment (as does DH and my MIL) but I wish they would put it back a bit so it would fit more seats.

my favorite "I need another car seat" weapon is to give DH the doe eyes and say sweetly "but honey, can you really put a price on our baby's safety?" :love: usually this works best after I bombard him with facts and stat numbers hahaha :p

if you can recline the chair as mentioned that might work, but honestly I had the same problem with my evenflo triumph with my 4runner seats. they weren't curved around as much as your seats are but they had a slight curve to them which made them almost impossible to access. I do like the knob adjustment (as does DH and my MIL) but I wish they would put it back a bit so it would fit more seats.

my favorite "I need another car seat" weapon is to give DH the doe eyes and say sweetly "but honey, can you really put a price on our baby's safety?" :love: usually this works best after I bombard him with facts and stat numbers hahaha :p

ha ha well that sounds like a good plan for you but when i do that he knows that i am up to something and then he just says okay what is it and i tell him and he does the hole man thing about you now do you really need that car seat or does she really need a car seat. for right now i am still looking for a car seat i am unsure of what cars would work in my dodge caravan so i wonder is there a car seat out there that works well with those kind of seats?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC