Got my ra55, compared to blvd70... Have questions

Cryssy Jane

So I just got my ra55 today and was comparing it to the blvd70 I've had for a few months.

The ra55's base is solidly attached to the seat while the blvd's base wiggles under the seat. It's attached but not nearly as secure.

Also in the third recline position the blvd is significantly more reclined than the ra55. Without measuring it makes it look like the ra55's shell is taller.

Has anyone ever noticed these things?
I tried to call britax but they are already closed for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

I believe some wiggle is normal, but keep an eye on the bolts that make the connection. Several people have had theirs fall off.

momtoo3

I had the bolt come off of my MA70. Britax replaced it in August and today I noticed it is way loose again. I was told it should be able to turn/wiggle a little but not like it is now. I will be calling again.

Pixels

Please report it to NHTSA. This is a pattern and a widespread problem. I believe the seats need to be recalled, but that can't happen if NHTSA isn't aware of the problem and its extent.

Cryssy Jane

I'll call tomorrow just to double check. I just checked the bolts and they are nice and tight on the ra55 but super loose on the blvd. not loose enough to pull out completely but there's a good amount out.

I'll make a Nhtsa report tomorrow as well. I agree they need to know about it.

creideamh

The bolt thing really worries me. I obviously have other seats DD could use, but in general the BLVD70 is my fave. I just don't have the patience to uninstall all the time to check bolt tightness... seems like a pretty big issue ??

njkj

Mine does I too. I posted a video a couple months ago. Let me see of I can find the thread.

njkj

Ok I found it but can't link to it on my phone. If you search threads posted by me you'll find it though. Or I'll link it next time I am on the computer.

msg221

It is a problem as I had that happen to mine MA70. I returned the seat to Britax and they replaced it. I did fill out an NHTSA report.

blueindigo

Ok I found it but can't link to it on my phone. If you search threads posted by me you'll find it though. Or I'll link it next time I am on the computer.

I searched in your past posts and couldn't find the video :eek:... would you mind mentioning the thread name? I think I could find it easier. Thanks

Cryssy Jane

Just got off the phone with britax. They said a little wiggle is ok but my screws are so loose they aren't far from falling out. They're replacing the seat and I get to keep the cover that's on this seat.

luckyclov

The bolts/washers in the base are supposed to be loose; it's part of how the recline works. You should be able to turn them. You should not tighten them. There 2 other sets of bolts serving the same purpose further in. The bolts (you can spin the washers) in my MA70 are loose. My seat has been looked at by Britax in Charlotte.

That said, the bolts should not fall OUT. If they do fall out or are so loose they're hanging on by dear life (or close to it), you should contact Britax and probably file a report w/ NHTSA.

Cryssy Jane

So in moving the blvd from the guest room where it was to the playroom to disassemble I lost a screw :-/ really glad I called. I love the blvd for the baby in the van so I'm glad it won't be out of commission forever.

java

wow that scares me! Is this a problem with all the Britax new gen seats or is it just the blvd? I have a RA55, that's why I am wondering.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC