Onside air, air protect or scenara?

erynn

Aparrently last year's models are
On their way out and this years aren't in yet so these are all I could find in stock that RF beyond 30lb and none of them were on the list in my head so I'd love some opinions

One friend has the air protect and she finds the straps a pain so I'm wondering if that's a common issue or not

Need to get a seat today

Thanks!

ADS

hrice

What is your budget, the size/age/weight of the child and the stores you have available to purchase at?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
By "air protect" do you mean the Complete Air? If so your friend may have the model I have, which has been changed now, which has annoying plastic covers on the straps. The one in the store today might not have those. It's worth checking.

The Onside Air and the Scenera are exactly the same seat, except one has air cushions and the other doesn't. Between the two I'd probably save the money and pick the Scenera.

Without knowing more about your child, If I had to pick the most likely seat to fit, if the child is an infant I would choose the Scenera, and if a toddler I'd choose the Complete Air. But it would be better to know more before making a definite recommendation.

erynn

18 months 25 lbs. I'm not sure how tall she is. We were in a car accident and not expecting insurance to cover more than $200 and that only if we're lucky.
I've been to TRU, walmart, zellers, sears, Canadian tire and those are the only 3 seats in stock that RF over 30lb

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Complete Air if that's what you're looking at will give you the most mileage. It does have some fit issues when installed rear facing at the manufacturer's recommended angle of recline. The Scenera has some of the same issues but since it's so much shorter it still fits in more cars.

The new ones coming out next are supposed to have revised instructions to allow a more upright install for toddlers. That doesn't help you much now unless you use the information to make you feel better about installing the car seat more upright than the "level to the ground" line allows for.

Basically if you want a car seat that is your permanent replacement, and those are what you have to choose from, you want the Complete Air. If you want to not invest much and just have something to get you by until you can have a better selection, get the Scenera. The Scenera also makes a great travel/airplane and backup/grandma seat.

elyrayday

Just wanted to throw my experience in here regarding the Onside air versus Scenera. We have used both of these as seats in the grandparent's cars. The Onside air cost us about $30 more than the Scenera, but I have to say I do feel that it was worth it. The air padding on the sides is really significant versus the hard (foam-free) sides of the Scenera. The Onside Air is not only much more comfortable, but also feels more substantial than the Scenera.

I guess it depends on how you feel about those $30 (or so)...if that is a lot of money to you, the Scenera is fine. If $30 are not that big of a deal, I felt additional money was well spent. And we bought the Onside Air at full price. With a good sale or coupon (20% BRU or something) the price gap could be even smaller.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
What seat did you have that was involved in the crash? Why did you not like it? (Why are you not buying an exact replacement?)

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you open to other seats?

Depending on the Complete Air DOM, you may get one that has strict rules about the angle for RFing. I'm not comfortable going against what the manufacturer said, and so I won't recommend that.

Have you looked into the Graco MyRide?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC