Which to keep.. GN or FN85?

Polola0628

I'm kinda torn. DD1 is going to be 4 next month. We have her in a FN85, and we also have a GN. She is harnessed. DD2 (will turn 2 next month) is a short one who is a slow-grower and we have her in an XTSL rfing. She'll be there for awhile.

We really have no need for two combo harness-booster seats.

I'd like to get DD in a booster at around 5 years old, and I'd want to start booster training at 4.5yo. She just hit a growth spurt, so I think she'd do fine in the GN until then. She is about even/smidge over the top slots of the Radian, if that gives you an idea for torso height.

I also am not too sure about the FN85 in booster mode- I don't really like how wide it is and it seems a litttle strange to me. I just don't like it. I know people who have Nautis in booster mode, and I do like it a bit more. The frontier is also REALLY wide, and because of its bulging cup holders, I can't get a seat next to it in our vehicle.

Once she outgrows the Nauti by height in booster mode I'd get her a dedicated booster, but... idk. Am I missing anything about the FN85 that I should be considering?

Pros/cons of each (in booster mode)?

ADS

Baylor

Why the booster goal? Why not just wait and see how she does?

Any particular need for her to start boost wrong at 4.5? There really is no training. She's either riding in a booster or not.

auto-correct on the loose..

Polola0628

I'm guessing she'll have outgrown the harness by 5 (she's already outgrown the Radian!) and I'd like make sure she's ready for my own piece of mind before then. I'm just giving 4.5 as a ballpark estimate because I want to start booster training her when I know it is getting close. If she had a short torso it would be different because there would be no need to put her in a booster.

I'd keep her harnessed longer in the Frontier, but I don't like the fit in my vehicle very much (because it is so wide and funny shaped). I'm not too fond of it as a booster- but I was just wondering if I was missing something that would make me pick the FN over the GN.

ETA: I'd also have to factor in that "what ifs", like a third child. We can't fit a seat next to the Frontier because of the cupholder, making a 3-across impossible. I'd need a Radian in the middle and it won't work. I tried with the GN and it does work. If we had a 3rd child, it would mean 2 rear-facers plus a ffer. It would be more convenient if I could pull the booster out of the car so that I could get in and buckle the middle child in. Does that make sense?

Baylor

You think she will now but kids slow down and seem to settle in around 4ish. My DS1 who looked like he would outgrow GN at 5 didn't until right before his 7th birthday.

My little guy. Who is not so little , was well on the way and went through two harness levels in a short time but then sat at the next harness level for a year.

Personally I would keep the one that would keep her harnessed the longest.

Polola0628

You think she will now but kids slow down and seem to settle in around 4ish. My DS1 who looked like he would outgrow GN at 5 didn't until right before his 7th birthday.

My little guy. Who is not so little , was well on the way and went through two harness levels in a short time but then sat at the next harness level for a year.

Personally I would keep the one that would keep her harnessed the longest.

I thought that the general concensus was good belt fit, maturity, and age. And I know of a few members here who have/have had 5yos in boosters.

Either way, I'd still need to know which one is better as a booster, for reasons other than belt fit. Anything that I'm missing.

I need to part with one of these seats, and I'm leaning towards parting with my FN85. I just wanted to know if that was the "right" choice. Whether she's 5 or 7 ;)

Baylor

Different kids fit in them differently. The GN was a great booster for my 7 Yr old. However I ended up getting him a Probooster that I love . I just don't think there is anyway to know now how mature or what size your child might be at 5. I would just keep the one you like better.

Kayleen

I have no experience with boosters yet, but of hte two seats, i prefer the FR85 instead of the GN. It's an easier install for me, and I have ZERO headslump with the FR85. I also prefer the 10 harness adjustments over the GN's 4?. Keeps the headwings in the best position.

Mommy2Marcus

It seems to me like you like the Nautilus better. I have a Nautilus myself & love it. However I have not ever owned or even played with a Frontier 85. I have not tried my son in it as a booster though. Have you tried your DD in both as a booster to see which one she fits better in? I know it won't be a perfect idea right now, but it might help you better to decide.

Polola0628

So I just tried her in the Nautilus for booster fit, then I did her harness up just to check it out. It is wayyyyy to narrow on her neck. The Nautilus is a no-go. So Frontier85 it is, unless I'm just very unenlightened to some mystery seat that will harness her another year at least. Blah.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm torn too. I'm getting a FR85 but I love my Nautilus. I'll be watching this thread.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The frontier seems to fit a wider variety of kid shapes in booster mode.

I wouldn't worry about 3 across yet. If youre not currently expecting then it will be a while before you get to that point.

Many of us do have 5 year olds in boosters, yes, but not 4 year olds unless it's absolutely necessary. I would keep her in the FR85 (or the GN if you want to keep both around and assuming she doesn't outgrow it) until at least 5 and then start with the booster training at that point.

Polola0628

So I *think* I figured it out. I just want to make sure I find a seat for longevity and that will work for a 3 across so that I don't have to go shopping for two or three seats when that time comes.

I'll keep DD in the Frontier85, and won't worry about booster training just yet, as I'm not expecting, lol. It looks like a booster would be near impossible to buckle in a 3across anyways, so I'm happy I have a seat that will harness her for quite awhile longer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC