ffing 39 pound kid in a radian- ss or no?

Put on the safe stop for 39 pound kid?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Good question!

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

christineka

Kid is 39 pounds (and skinny). Radian will be latched, so it must also be top tethered. Should I put on the safe stop or not? I can remove it without uninstalling the seat, but I will not be weighing her daily.

ADS

emars002

my DD is 39lbs and I still have it on. 39, hmmm I guess how often/quickly do your kiddos gain weight? Mine are slow, she has been that weight forever so I am just going to leave it until i know she is 40 or over. If she were a fast weight gainer, I would probably take it off

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
How fast will she gain 2lbs? Because it is to be used to 40lbs... so that to me means remove at 41lbs. DD3 and 4 have been 38-39lbs for MONTHS now... It stays on in my car! :)

jeminijad

I wouldn't use it. Not so much because of her weight, but because it is a device designed to reduce neck loads/head excursion in littles, no? And she is plenty old enough to be past that particular vulnerability.

But I'm no engineer, physician or any other kind of expert.

jnamommy

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what happens if you do leave it on past 40 lbs? Is it just not necessary after 40 lbs, or is it unsafe after 40 lbs?

christineka

39 lbs naked? Clothed with boots and winter wear on?

39 pounds clothed without shoes. We don't generally wear a bunch of winter gear in the car, so just clothed with some small shoes (she has small feet as well) is what she'll be wearing in the seat.

mama2girls

39 pounds clothed without shoes. We don't generally wear a bunch of winter gear in the car, so just clothed with some small shoes (she has small feet as well) is what she'll be wearing in the seat.

I'd personally reweigh her with shoes on. If she's still 39 lbs I'd leave the SS on. I think it's a great feature (assuming it works as SK says it does) and I'm leaving mine on my seats until the bitter end.

Pixels

skipspin -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: In regards to the Radian:How exact does the weight for using/removing the safestop need to be? If a child is hovering around 39lbs, is it better to remove it, or to wait until the child is hovering closer to 41lbs?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: If the parent is not sure of the child's exact weight, it is better to install with Safe Stop.
bensmom -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Also, follow up on that. I believe some people have SafeStops with instructions to 48 pounds. Is the 48 incorrect.
[snip]Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: The Safe Stop may be used to 48 lbs
Judi -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Are there benifits to using the safestop to 48 lbs?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: SafeStop should be used in accordance with our instructions. It reduces combined neck loading - a number not required by NHTSA, ECE or any other regulatory body.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40794

CrazyBoysMamma

Wait! It can be used to 48 pounds? Should I put the safestop on for my 46 pound 7 year old? I never used it because he RF to 40 pounds in it.

Pixels

The ones labeled to 48 can be used to 48. The ones labeled to 40 have a 40 pound limit, but the info on 48 pound versions was provided so that you can understand why it's better to have the SafeStop on at 41-42 pounds than to take it off at 38-39 pounds.

If my child is able to RF to the 40 pound limit in one of my Radians, I will turn FFing at 38-39 and put the SafeStop on for a few pounds, until they are firmly over 40 pounds on a consistent basis.

CrazyBoysMamma

We didn't get that option. My younger 2 follow strange weight gain patterns. Patrick went from 37 lbs to 42 lbs in under a week, so I accidentally kept him RF over the limit. James recently did the same thing jumping from 26 to 29 lbs seemingly over night. Now I'm having to rethink having 39 lb seats for him. He doesn't like the radians at all.

Dillipop

I voted to keep it on until she actually goes over 40 pounds. I have an older version with the 48 lb safestop, so I would think that even if you went over the 40 lb limit by a pound or so, it'd be better than not having the benefits of the ss under the limits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC