Tech/seat check ?

mominabigtruck

I have some free tbs on cl and I just had a guy call me and we were talking and he was telling me how big his grandson was and I asked how old he was and he told me 2.5yo. So I was like oh, well he's not old enough for this seat, I can't give it to you.

So then he goes on to say that he was checked at the fd and they told him his seat was expired and his son was over the weight limit but he's still using the seat because they don't have anything else.

WTF?? Isn't the point of the check to fix stuff like that? I've never been to a check so maybe I'm wrong but I thought they take the seat if it's expired?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Pixels

It depends on the resources available. Sometimes there are program seats for most kids but not HWH. Sometimes there are no seats at all available.

When there is no appropriate seat available, the best we can do is make the best of the situation. Make sure that the seat is installed properly and used as appropriately as possible. If there are no seats available, then we can't take the seat because that would make the child less safe.

Pixels

A Turbo? No. Too much liability risk when you knowingly give them a seat for a child who doesn't fit the seat.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
We can only take a seat if we have something to replace it with. If they had come to one of our local coalition checks they would have been giving an opportunity to make an appointment to have a check where there were HWH seats available if we had any to give.

I don't know what I would do about giving seats away on Craigslist.

christineka

At most seat checks that I've worked, we've had free seats. I have given a 40 pound 2 year old with a mega tall torso a booster. I also told mom several times to go to the children's hospital to get a hwh seat.

I have worked a few without seats or without free seats and kids have had to leave in outgrown, very expired seats with the admonition to either buy one or go to the health department to get a new seat.

mominabigtruck

Ok, now I'm really pissed. My post on cl to give away free, not expired boosters to someone in need was flagged. What is wrong with people??
Posted via Mobile Device

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Ok, now I'm really pissed. My post on cl to give away free, not expired boosters to someone in need was flagged. What is wrong with people??
Posted via Mobile Device
:eek:
That guy probably flagged you because he was pissed off that you wouldn't give him one! :mad:

mominabigtruck

:eek:
That guy probably flagged you because he was pissed off that you wouldn't give him one! :mad:

But I put specifically that I would only give them if the child was 4yo and 40lb. Grrrr, I was even nice and washed them since they'd been in dh's car.
Posted via Mobile Device

MeliaW

In my area, we don't generally have seats to give away. We don't have a local coalition and there just aren't funds for it. Unfortunately, the best we can do is make sure an expired seat is installed correctly and advise the caregivers to get a new seat. An expired seat is better than no seat.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We do have seats at almost every check. But we don't have hwh seats. So a child that was over 40# would get a booster no matter what the age or the parents would get educated on what to buy if they could afford a seat.

We have had to send a few kids home in expired seats at big checks. If you make an appointment with a tech that comes to you, then they won't have seats. I had this happen this week. Twins in expired infant seats. Mom bought some the other day. Going back today to recheck.

Some of our techs check at work, fire station or police station. We don't have seats at all these places. Those parents wouldn't be told about our discount seats though. They would be sent to the store.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC