Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Tech/seat check ?

I have some free tbs on cl and I just had a guy call me and we were talking and he was telling me how big his grandson was and I asked how old he was and he told me 2.5yo. So I was like oh, well he's not old enough for this seat, I can't give it to you.

So then he goes on to say that he was checked at the fd and they told him his seat was expired and his son was over the weight limit but he's still using the seat because they don't have anything else.

WTF?? Isn't the point of the check to fix stuff like that? I've never been to a check so maybe I'm wrong but I thought they take the seat if it's expired?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tech/seat check ?

It depends on the resources available. Sometimes there are program seats for most kids but not HWH. Sometimes there are no seats at all available.

When there is no appropriate seat available, the best we can do is make the best of the situation. Make sure that the seat is installed properly and used as appropriately as possible. If there are no seats available, then we can't take the seat because that would make the child less safe.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

So would you have given him one?
    Posted via Mobile Device

A Turbo? No. Too much liability risk when you knowingly give them a seat for a child who doesn't fit the seat.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

We can only take a seat if we have something to replace it with. If they had come to one of our local coalition checks they would have been giving an opportunity to make an appointment to have a check where there were HWH seats available if we had any to give.

I don't know what I would do about giving seats away on Craigslist.
    DS1 3.24.10 riding in a Frontier 90 in booster mode and a Cybex M-Fix.
    DS2 1.18.14 rear facing in a Foonf and a Fllo.

At most seat checks that I've worked, we've had free seats. I have given a 40 pound 2 year old with a mega tall torso a booster. I also told mom several times to go to the children's hospital to get a hwh seat.

I have worked a few without seats or without free seats and kids have had to leave in outgrown, very expired seats with the admonition to either buy one or go to the health department to get a new seat.
    Christine *mom* to

Dd1 age 17 (seatbelt), Dd2 age 15 (seatbelt), Ds1 age 14 (seatbelt), Dd4 age 12 (Seatbelt), Ds2 age 10 (Probooster), Dd4 age 7 (rstv), and dd5 age 1 (rfing Pria)

Ok, now I'm really pissed. My post on cl to give away free, not expired boosters to someone in need was flagged. What is wrong with people??
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by mominabigtruck View Post
    Ok, now I'm really pissed. My post on cl to give away free, not expired boosters to someone in need was flagged. What is wrong with people??
    Posted via Mobile Device

That guy probably flagged you because he was pissed off that you wouldn't give him one!

Quote Originally Posted by jourdysmom View Post

That guy probably flagged you because he was pissed off that you wouldn't give him one!
    But I put specifically that I would only give them if the child was 4yo and 40lb. Grrrr, I was even nice and washed them since they'd been in dh's car.
    Posted via Mobile Device

In my area, we don't generally have seats to give away. We don't have a local coalition and there just aren't funds for it. Unfortunately, the best we can do is make sure an expired seat is installed correctly and advise the caregivers to get a new seat. An expired seat is better than no seat.

CPS Technician
    We do have seats at almost every check. But we don't have hwh seats. So a child that was over 40# would get a booster no matter what the age or the parents would get educated on what to buy if they could afford a seat.

We have had to send a few kids home in expired seats at big checks. If you make an appointment with a tech that comes to you, then they won't have seats. I had this happen this week. Twins in expired infant seats. Mom bought some the other day. Going back today to recheck.

Some of our techs check at work, fire station or police station. We don't have seats at all these places. Those parents wouldn't be told about our discount seats though. They would be sent to the store.
    Stefanie - CPST in Iowa
    mom to dd 11,/00, ds 11/01, ds 3/06, dd 04/07, dd 08/12 (radian rxt) ds 12/13 (evenflo sureride)

I'm lucky. In my area we have Evenflo Maestros and Apex 65's for the bigger kids.