Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: I need help.

Question I need help.

We are taking the girls back to Canada for Christmas. I asked about a RSTV for my youngest, but was told she probably wouldn't fit well. I need seat help. We are flying, and then borrowing a car to drive the 140 miles to our hometown. We have in the past had a Canadian Maestro for Leah, but left it home when we made the move (Being used by a friend who's little girl was in a NBB). I am looking for something light weight. She rides in a Prosport in my truck and a Frontier in my DH's. I am going to pick up a booster seat for my oldest. If it helps we are borrowing a Pontiac Vibe once we are up there. I really don't know what to get for Leah, or what kind of booster to get for Summer.
    Summer will turn 6 while we are up there visiting. She is currently 44-46 pounds, she will probably be the same weight when we go there, unless a growth spurt. She stands 44 inches, and has a 14 inch torso. She is booster trained, but also rides in the same seats as her little sister when we are home. Leah is 34 pounds, stands 37 inches tall, with a 13 inch torso. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (Something light weight hopefully.)
    We will be making this trip often, but this is our first trip home. I don't want to spend more then $500.00 on both seats.
    Last edited by alake; 11-08-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: adding more info.
    Summer Dec 2005 80 pounds, Leah Aug 2007 40 pounds
    Eryn Aug 2012 22 pounds,Mallory 15months and Logan
    Rebecca, 3 months adopted in April, weighing 13 and a half pounds.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: I need help.

I would get your oldest a regular old high back Graco Turbo booster-they run about $50-60, but can be found sometimes for cheaper. It's a tall enough booster for her right now, and it will last awhile, esp b/c she can hand it down later and/or use it backless. You can take the back off of if (it's easy) and carefully pack it in your luggage, and take the no back booster bottom part on the plane w/you as a carry on. It will fit in the overhead bin. OR you could get her a Compass B570 Pathway booster for about $100 or less. It will fold and should fit in the overhead bin, too.

For your youngest, I would go w/the Maestro again. It's a great price and it's not a super heavy seat to carry and install on the plane. You may be able to find the girly Abby pattern on line for $70.

So, about $105 to 185 for both of those kinds of seats, depending on where you buy them at.

hths

henrietta
    henrietta
    former CPST & Mom extraordinaire of 2 rowdy little boys & 1 spunky girl toddler, among hundreds of other skills!
    #1, age 9.5, Harmony Literider or Transit backless booster, occasional Safety First Incognito
    #2, age 6.5, Cybex Xfit booster/Harmony folding travel booster/Evenflo hbb
    #3 age 15 months, Britax Advocate CT/Combi Cocorro

4. Thank You from: