so mad i have to throw out my seats

icnee

I have 2 CA's one was only used for maybe 2 weeks, 2 SR's a Titan an avenue and my MT:mad:. All these seats were on my mothers porch for a few months and the all got covered in mold and mildew.

I had been useing a booster fgor Emma around town and she is fine but I can not drive from upstate NY to Boston and back with her in a booster there is no way she can sit that long. and now All i have is the moneteray a turbo and a MR.

I am so upset, mostly about my MT:crying:

ADS

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Why were they on her porch for a few months??

That really sucks though.

icnee

Why were they on her porch for a few months??

That really sucks though.

I didnt need to used them at that time. we were only doing short drives around town and Emma sits fine for that. Naveah is in a booster full time now. and the baby is still rfing in the MR I really wanted to RF emma in the MT to got to Boston though now I am lost.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Can you bleach the covers? (colorsafe of course) and just buy new harnesses? Maybe someone here has some of what you'd need. I would think maybe you could get the mold out of the covers so they aren't a total loss.

mominabigtruck

I would just buy new harnesses. Soak the covers in your bathtub in some oxy and some clear dishsoap and then wash. It might not get all the spots out but it will fade them and should get rid of the funky smell.
Posted via Mobile Device

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I agree...wash the covers and order new harnesses... :( Sorry I hate when something like that happens!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm still confused how they ended up sitting outside for months. But it sucks that they did!

Reactions: Kac

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Definitely buy new harnesses and wash the covers. Forget the color-safe bleach. You need a little real bleach. They'll probably look like crap but they should work. Buy new covers when you can.

The toughest part will probably be replacing the harness for the MT, but for a seat like that I bet it would be worth it. And a new cover if the one you have doesn't clean up well.

finn

I would bleach the covers & replace the straps, there is no way I would be throwing out thousands of dollars worth of seats because of a bit of mold.

Baylor

finn said:
I would bleach the covers & replace the straps, there is no way I would be throwing out thousands of dollars worth of seats because of a bit of mold.

Yeah. The seats themselves should be fine and the covers can be washed. My question Is the same why would you leave that much $ in seats out in the elements. My seats are either in car or house.

auto-correct on the loose..

Baylor

mamom said:
maybe it was an enclosed porch, like a sun room?

Still if it something my kids are sitting in, it is not left outside or even on porch.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Still if it something my kids are sitting in, it is not left outside or even on porch.

An enclosed porch is like a garage... MANY of us leave our seats in the garage... I don't see what the big deal is. It happened to me once when I put a seat in my basement... the seat was 4 years old so i chucked it.... Was I mad at myself? YUP... but life goes on, you live and learn!

but new seats should be "repaired" and used IMO... especially an expensive seat like a MT

Baylor

An enclosed porch is like a garage... MANY of us leave our seats in the garage... I don't see what the big deal is. It happened to me once when I put a seat in my basement... the seat was 4 years old so i chucked it.... Was I mad at myself? YUP... but life goes on, you live and learn!

but new seats should be "repaired" and used IMO... especially an expensive seat like a MT

ugh.. Not me.. I am spider/ bug phobic! They go in my kids room in their closet.. I like to be safe with them so I like to make sure if something happens ( weird leak or something) I still had them as protected as I could..

I wonder if you could wrap them in plastic or shrink wrap them....hmmm

ETA: I don't think is says enclosed porch.. did I miss that?

StillThankful

I have 2 CA's one was only used for maybe 2 weeks, 2 SR's a Titan an avenue and my MT:mad:. All these seats were on my mothers porch for a few months and the all got covered in mold and mildew.

I had been useing a booster fgor Emma around town and she is fine but I can not drive from upstate NY to Boston and back with her in a booster there is no way she can sit that long. and now All i have is the moneteray a turbo and a MR.

I am so upset, mostly about my MT:crying:

I'd buy your moldy MT in a heartbeat! :whistle:

mominabigtruck

I have shelves in my garage specifically for seats and strollers but they get put in lawn and leaf bags to make sure they stay dry and fresh. Even in a bag I wouldn't leave stuff on my porch, it leaks and there's tons of wild animals around that would get into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baylor

mominabigtruck said:
I have shelves in my garage specifically for seats and strollers but they get put in lawn and leaf bags to make sure they stay dry and fresh. Even in a bag I wouldn't leave stuff on my porch, it leaks and there's tons of wild animals around that would get into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know my Grandmom has an enclosed porch with windows but she still gets moisture in there. Yeah. This stinks.

java

I'm sure it's a hindsight 20 20 problem.

Heck, I'd buy moldy seats too if I thought I could get them clean again!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Well, I leave car seats on my not-enclosed front porch all the time. Not for extended periods of time, though, unless it's a car seat that's destined for the next recycle event or BRU trade-in. But for a day or two I do.

Usually I store my good seats in the camp trailer because we keep the climate controlled for anti-mold purposes in there anyway. But this year we put a cover on it and it's hard to get in and out of so I need to think of another plan. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC