Overwhelmed trying to choose

erynn

So we need to replace my daughter's car seat ( rear ended yesterday). It sounds like we've got a 50/50 chance of getting a nice adjustor who'll just tell us to replace
It and reimburse the full amount ( or just take the new receipts no questions asked) or getting a not nice adjustor who will give
Us a max of $100 since we don't have the original receipts and that's apparently ICBC's policy

If we are only getting the $100 I need to be budget conscious as we are living off my husband's EI right now, he got laid off
3 1/2 months ago and his EI barely covers the mortgage.

So I need to figure out something really good, but inexpensive that'll keep my 25lb 18mo rear facing for as long as possible.

If they'll just replace I've a little
More flexibility. I know a lot of
My friends have britax seats and love them. We haven't been loving our eddie Bauer 3 in 1 Thats the one we're replacing

Also what's a brand that let's the rear facing seat sit more upright with toddlers? The one we're replacing seems pretty emphatic about that line being level which doesn't fit well in our '98 quest

I want to just go out now and buy the replacement with the mortgage money and trust that we won't have problems getting reimbursed as not comfortable having her in the seat you know?

ADS

Brianna

OP is in Canada.

It looks like the True Fit was recommended to you, this should get your DD to a decent rear facing age. Is there a store near you where you can try it in your car?

Brianna

I'm in the US and we have different stores than you do. I'm not sure which stores, if any, let you test an installation in your car. Hopefully somebody will be able to tell you which stores do.
For future reference- you don't have to now- but if you need to start another new thread, posting in the Canadian forum will help to get you the most Canadian-specific answers :)

erynn

My husband is going to do a little window shopping on the way home from an interview (hasn't had an interview since sept so fingers crossed) to see who has what in stock and what price

Is there any that people would recommend avoiding?

erynn

Yeah the one we're replacing is a 3in1. I wish I'd had mama friends when we were pregnant, or about this forum so I would have never ever chosen that one!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Zeller's carries the True Fit and I believe it's on sale for $99. I would talk to the adjuster to find out how long it will take to be reimbursed before going in to your mortgage money. But I agree that the seat needs to be replaced immediately.

What stores are near you? (Walmart, Toys R Us, Zellers, Sears? - those tend to be the biggest places to buy carseats.)

tam_shops

Where did you buy the seat? You may be able to get a copy of the bill from the store and/or your credit card if you paid on one and/or a friend if they have a similar seat.

So sorry, this is such a silly rule! Hope you are feeling better soon!

tam

erynn

We've got all of those... My husband went out for me andbrought back photos but no true fit from Zellers which seemed odd as that's one I keep hearing mentioned

selinajean

They may have sold out already Erynn. :( Do you mind saying where you are located? Perhaps one of our members in a neighbouring town would know of another place to get it and have it sent over to your store.

selinajean

Oh, and I think that it was on sale last week for $99 so we will need to find a copy of last week's flyer for the price continuation if you can get your hands on a seat.

melissainbc

Erynn, this is Melissa from Lizzie Bits. The seat selection in town sucks right now! I would check Canadian Tire and Sears to see what they have in stock. It seems like Toys R Us and Zellers have been cleared right out :(

selinajean

I was wondering if that was Erynn from Kamloops. Melissa and I can post on facebook too to see if anyone in a neighbouring town has noticed one in stock. I am in Salmon Arm and the last time that I checked they were out of stock but I will check again tomorrow just in case.

erynn

Never thought of sears or CT
No luck anywhere else
The selection does indeed suck if I want something that goes above 30lb rear facing
TRU has britax but they're way more pricey than the one I'm replacing so ICBC won't go for that

selinajean

Erynn, I have a seat on hold for you at the Salmon Arm Zellers. Can you message me here or email me at selinajean@gmail.com so we can arrange to get it to you?
The SA store can transfer the seat to the Kamloops store but it will take anywhere from 2-10 days and that may be too long for you. I could put it on a Greyhound bus in the morning but I'm not sure if ICBC will cover that method of shipping, my guess is that they won't. Melissa's mom will be working in Salmon Arm on Sunday and could bring it back to Kamloops with her. If you know anyone else out here that is making the drive sooner we could work something out there too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC