Remember when LATCh was supposed to be "easy"?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Remember how Britax lead the way with the whole LATCh concept?

22 – 40 lbs
Until update kit with new
LATCH connector is
received, use the
alternative long belt-
routing method of
installation for either lap-
shoulder belt or lap-belt.

40 – 80 lbs
Use LATCH in short belt-
routing installation. Top
tether is recommended
and recline bar is
required between
40 – 50 lbs. Top tether
and recline bar are
required over 50 lbs.
Always check your
vehicle manufacturers’
guidelines for maximum
LATCH anchor weight
limits.

Guess they changed their minds.

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I just want a clear answer as to why it's OK to use the "easy" method on my Husky? Merely because they're no longer testing the Husky...? How is that safe/right/fair?

LuvBug

I just want a clear answer as to why it's OK to use the "easy" method on my Husky? Merely because they're no longer testing the Husky...? How is that safe/right/fair?

when I asked about the husky, one rep kept giving me the "its no longer made" "its no longer in production" "we no longer make that seat". As if safety should stop as soon as you quit production!!

She said my husky was fine, that there were modifications to the regent, and that this is enhancement, they keep throwing around that word!! "enhancement"

Ill tell you I dont feel comfortable with this at all. SKJP posts their results...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We collectively made the leap from cosco to britax (in that carseats used to all be 'cheap', then we accepted they cost more for better features, and we choked and then paid up happily), let's make the leap to IMMI and buy safeguardseats. think they'll let us buy them as a co-op for a discount? :rolleyes:

UlrikeDG

Julie, I know you remember when Britax USA's CEO had connections in the CPS community and was willing to give us a straight answer when issues like this came up.

arly1983

We collectively made the leap from cosco to britax (in that carseats used to all be 'cheap', then we accepted they cost more for better features, and we choked and then paid up happily), let's make the leap to IMMI and buy safeguardseats. think they'll let us buy them as a co-op for a discount? :rolleyes:

Thats actually what we are thinking of doing....buying a safeguard and radian and recaro:eek:

Jeanum

Staff member
I confess to being really tempted to pre-order a Recaro today, really, really tempted, while I had been content previously to let all of the other eager pre-ordering folks be the beta testers for the Recaro new convertible when it's released. Or to drive almost an hour to a store that carries the Safeguard to try it on for size, but ouch $400+ is hard to stomach.

southpawboston

honestly, from what i've been reading, it sounds like all the current regent owners are beta testers... so why not go with a new, unproven seat and be in the same situation? it's not like britax hasn't had a bunch of recalls on their seats...

scatterbunny

Papooses and LuvBug, I feel the same way--not right about the Husky thing at all. I know there are minor changes, yes--but I feel like because it's not a current seat they aren't really bothering to see if it tests "fine" with the LBP/heavier kid or better with SBP like the Regent apparently is. Even if it is fine, the way this debacle has been so confusing for everyone, I'm incredibly frustrated. The manual is BEYOND confusing; techs are confused; how can the average parent "get it"? If Britax is OKing over the phone to continue using LBP to those who can only get a good install that way, how does that affect what we do at seat checks? We have to go by the manual. Britax usually says "go by the manual that came with your seat". Well, they're issuing new manuals, so folks can't just go with the LBP because the old manual said that. Even if they come in with an old manual, I know we keep up-to-date manuals from all current seats in a file box at seat checks, so it's possible that, even if parents brought the old manual, a tech at our seat check would know the Regent's manual was recently changed, and insist they go by the new instructions. It's all just WAY TOO CONFUSING.

I think the high-end baby store 2ish hours from me carries the Safeguard child seat, I might need to make a trip there to try her in it. Mark will choke on the price, we probably will have to borrow $$ for it, and I feel somewhat silly since they insist the Husky is fine, but gah, I just don't feel right about this.

Jeanum

Staff member
honestly, from what i've been reading, it sounds like all the current regent owners are beta testers... so why not go with a new, unproven seat and be in the same situation? it's not like britax hasn't had a bunch of recalls on their seats...

I'm not dissing your fondness for Recaros, lol. I would prefer confirmation IRL of the top harness slot heights and how well a new seat installs before ordering one, or at least that's how I felt about the Recaros before today, lol, hence my comment about waiting for IRL reports from the early buying beta-testers. I really didn't want to pre-order, only to find out that it's not installation friendly, or the top slots in reality aren't as high as the online specs would lead us to believe. I waited a year or so after the Radian was released to order one for similar reasons. I know from personal experience with Britax convertibles, Radian 65, and Safeguard Go, and from the experiences of other members, that some seats may measure a certain top slot height, yet fit a child differently IRL when they're actually in the seat installed in a vehicle. :twocents: I'm irked enough at Britax I may just throw caution to the wind and pre-order the Recaro, but I need to give the situation more thought. ;)

arly1983

I'm not dissing your fondness for Recaros, lol. I would prefer confirmation IRL of the top harness slot heights and how well a new seat installs before ordering one, or at least that's how I felt about the Recaros before today, lol, hence my comment about waiting for IRL reports from the early buying beta-testers. I really didn't want to pre-order, only to find out that it's not installation friendly, or the top slots in reality aren't as high as the online specs would lead us to believe. I waited a year or so after the Radian was released to order one for similar reasons. I know from personal experience with Britax convertibles, Radian 65, and Safeguard Go, and from the experiences of other members, that some seats may measure a certain top slot height, yet fit a child differently IRL when they're actually in the seat installed in a vehicle. :twocents: I'm irked enough at Britax I may just throw caution to the wind and pre-order the Recaro, but I need to give the situation more thought. ;)

Preorder from elitecarseats.com and get the return insurance.....I am preordering a como that way.....( I think i am going to like the signo better but I need some thing in 3.5 weeks) If I really like it then we will keep the signo preordered and sell our BV...... If not, well, then we have return insurance....

LuvBug

if top slots weren't an issue with us then we wouldnt be up a creek right now... I do not think it would be safe to put DS in a booster right now, and probably not for another couple of years.

Im going to have to play musical seats tonight and see if I can get them to install right in either vehicle. The regent can not be used in my car with the recline bar and Im seriously worried about using it with the recline bar in my mom's car because of the natural recline of the seats already. DS is like half an inch from the 2nd to top slots in her vehicle, but hes only like half an inch above the 2nd from bottom in mine!(reclined vs straight up)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC