Question Putting a 7 year old and 6 year old back in harness?

Would you harness or booster a 7.5 and 6 year old?

• I would have no problems harnessing them again.

Votes: 24 63.2%
  • I think boostering them would be safer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think harnessing or boostering them is equally safe.

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters

lovinwaves

Still having booster drama. The kids are having a hard time buckling their boosters in (it's the way our vehicle's seatbelts are. They buckled themselves in just fine in our previous car and do fine in their dad's car). I am pretty close to just harnessing them again, but I want them as safe as possible. What would do you think? Any concerns with harnessing older kids? DS has a massive off the charts sized head which concerns me.

DD is 7 1/2 40lbs.
DS is 6 40lbs.

They will have to be in Radians or a new Foonf to make it easier to get in and out of the car. Loads of growing room in almost all convertible seats/combination seats. So that's not a problem.

ADS

djma

I wouldn't have any problems b/c overall it sounds as if they are small for their age. So there may be younger but bigger children harnessed without hesitation. Does that make sense? It does in my head -- but it's early. :p

My DS2 is almost 6, around 43 pounds, 44 inches and still harness in a nautilus. I have no problems with it. And I will keep him in it until he outgrows it. His head is in the 95th percentile.

courtfrog2

My 7 year old 52 lb DD rides in a radian80 and a Frontier 85. I have no issues whatsoever. My oldest was 10 before she got out of the Regent. I don't think boosters are unsafe, but in some situations a harness can be better.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I think properly used harnessed seats and properly used (which doesn't typically happen until fairly close to age six) booster seats are both very safe and parents should choose which works best for them.

Pixels

AAP and NHTSA say to keep your kids harnessed as long as they fit up to age 8. The AAP position paper had a lot of references (which I admit I didn't read) to support their position.

Even if they are older kids, they are still small. Plus, they have the added bonus of being older and having more ossified skeletons. I think your kids are safer than a younger child of the same size.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I wanna know where you obtained a 7 yo and a 6 yo.

cuz, YOUR kids are like...4 and 5.
Yes. I'm sure that's right.

:eek::dizzy:

I think either are safe choices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC