ERF and watching TV?

sahara910

Alright... I have a toddler he's 21 months and 21 lbs and hes in a Britax RA 50 rearfacing (still in the lowest slot for belts if that helps imagine his size)
SO I would like to keep him rear facing.. despite that I am a busy mom of 3 with 2 others 11 (no seat) and 8.5 (backless booster) who face forward. I drive 55 min in the morning and afternoon to and from school. I have a new Sienna with a beautiful wide screen tv and a toddler who is not a fan of the long ride but IS a fan of TV.... I have at times secured an ipad to the headrest and put on a show but thats not something I can work from the front. Has anyone come up with a workaround or mirror or something so the rear facing kiddo can see TV better? Any other ideas to help me keep him RF longer? On short trips its not a big deal and I don;t even turn my TV on much for the big kids so it would be completely new to him in the car. We've only used it for long travel but I would love to be able to open it and put something on.. if I needed that for him to bot be screaming at me on the way home... any thoughts?

ADS

luckyclov

Welcome to c-s.org.:)

I also have 3 kids (9, 7, and 21 months) and a Sienna. My youngest has quite some time left ahead of him RFing. Fortunately, most of the time, he's happy in the car...which is good because we spend a LOT of time in it.

My oldest sits center 3rd row and is able to entertain him a lot. He's (my youngest) also figured out how to use the lightweight, padded RF mirror (yes, a no-no, but it fell into the "parental decision" category for me) on his headrest to see me in my rear view mirror and that keeps him happy. I bet if I positioned the RF mirror a little bit, he'd be able to view, at least partially, the overhead DVD screen.;)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep, there's an Eddie Bauer mirror we use; my rfer can see in that (though at some point we are having a rear-facing screen with IR repeater put in and attached to the dvd player!)

bella_1818

DS is ERF and watches TV on an ipod touch (in an otterbox defender case). He has been able to operate it himself without needing assistance for a very long time.

It's a no-no to have such a large hard projectile in the car and could be dangerous in an accident, but it's something we've chosen to allow.

MommyShannon

This doesn't always satisfy my 20 month old but I try to pic movies she likes with lots of songs like Barney Sing and Dance. My others are 6 and 4 and like to watch movies too but I try to stay with ones she enjoys listening to.

sahara910

Welcome to c-s.org.:)

padded RF mirror (yes, a no-no, but it fell into the "parental decision" category for me) on his headrest to see me in my rear view mirror and that keeps him happy. I bet if I positioned the RF mirror a little bit, he'd be able to view, at least partially, the overhead DVD screen.;)

Similar family dynamics :) We have the padded monkey or bear whatever it is lol mirror and he sees me and hes generally happy that his brother or sister will retrieve a sippy cup or cracker for him. (we do bring items in the car) hes behind me with big sis next to him (captains chairs) and big bro behind so he can see them my problem is the trip from school in the am and to school in the afternoon and on the rare occasion we end up at the airport etc driving alone...
I guess nothing has been dreamed up yet lol. I dont think the mirror would be enough for him to see well...

tanusscott22

We have used and Ipod as well (one that has a screen) and have loaded LOTS of family photos on it, and then set it up to shuffle and repeat. We put the screen lock on so he couldn't turn the slide show off. It worked well for our 19 month old, along with some choice interactive books, and toys that are kept only in the car.:)

Cath3114

I have a DVD player tethered and doubly strapped to my headrest. I know the risks, but I have chosen to go ahead with it. I am a single mom, and we drive 3.5 hours back and forth just about every other weekend. As much as I try to arrange travel around nap time, sometimes it just isn't possible.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Similar family dynamics :) We have the padded monkey or bear whatever it is lol mirror and he sees me and hes generally happy that his brother or sister will retrieve a sippy cup or cracker for him. (we do bring items in the car) hes behind me with big sis next to him (captains chairs) and big bro behind so he can see them my problem is the trip from school in the am and to school in the afternoon and on the rare occasion we end up at the airport etc driving alone...
I guess nothing has been dreamed up yet lol. I dont think the mirror would be enough for him to see well...

They don't need to see "well", just "well enough." ;) that's the mirror we have and if you find the right angle it works- I have even handed it to her to hold it where she can see it!
It's light and soft and I don't have a problem with it being loose.

Like I said, though, you can get an extra screen put in, if you want...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC