Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Carseats in golfcart?

I'm going on a trip this month with the mother and kids that I nanny for. I'll have the kids all day while mom attends her conferences. She has arranged for me to have a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) to drive the kids around in. It's pretty much a big fancy golfcart similar to this one.

We'll be using it to go a short distance to "downtown" shopping, amusement parks, playgrounds, etc. I can't safely hold on to two 2.5 year olds. It isn't my parental decision to take the NEV, we're taking it. SOOOO. Even though carseat manufacturers say no to using carseats on golfcarts, is this what I should do? I can install the Radians using the seatbelts in the rear seats.. They ride rearfacing in my car, should they in the NEV? I've googled it and seen so few pictures of carseats, most parents just hold kids. But I physically can't. What would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I saw a FFing MyRide on one of those in Key West.

I would FF a couple radians if had to. Personally, I would walk before taking that every single time. They make me nervous if they share a road with regular cars.
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

CPS Fanatic
    Ive never been in a golf cart with seatbelts, or one that fancy, so I am stumped.

Re: Carseats in golfcart?

I'm fairly certain these don't go on the same roads as regular vehicles. There are pathways, bridges, and tunnels under main roads that we'll be taking.. Provided I can get a tight install, would you make the parental decision to do it?

Our golfcart does not have seatbelts so we just hold onto to the kids.

Our Kubota RTV however does and has wonderful ALR lapbelts which makes for easy car seat installs

Since the sides are open I would just be worried about one of them unbuckling themselves and theoretically falling off and out of the cart.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

If you are going to be driving this, I would want them properly "contained" We have put children in carseats on our golfcart that we use mostly on our property. I was very scared that they would fall off if I needed to stop quickly.

I guess I'm not as worried about crash ratings on a golf cart as I am as keeping them contained. So thank you. How difficult was it to get the carseat tight enough? Would you RF or FF? Any pictures would be lovely! And sure would make me giggle!

I would FF them in a golf cart. It's mainly so they don't fall out...not because they need to be protected in a crash, KWIM?

Have fun! I wouldn't stress so much about this...
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Are any of the travel vests rated for a 2 1/2 year old?
    I would use a restraint of some nature, just not sure I'd use the Radians as I am not very trusting and wouldn't want someone stealing them out of the cart.

That's a good point. I'd pick up some cheap seats for the trip. Also, if something happens on the golf cart that might endanger the seats, you don't want it to be the Radians. Like you said, car seat manufacturers don't want anything to do with carseats on golf carts, so I would only take the chance on a cheap seat that could be easily replaced.
    Daniel 7.5.2010 @ 24.6lbs/33.5in in a Cowmoo MA70/MyRide70 in our 2009 Subaru Impreza or 2001 Volvo S40