Tandem sit-n-stroll types for BIG older siblings?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
DH's daughter has registered for a Joovy Caboose. Her older child will be six by the time baby arrives, and is taller/bigger than average. I am not sure exactly what she weighs now, but last time I weighed her she was about 50 lbs and that was several months ago. I noticed the Joovy stroller has a max capacity of 45 lbs for each kid.

I am not quite sure why she thinks she needs a dual stroller. She doesn't use a stroller for her 6 year old now... but oh well. She wants one. I was wondering whether there are any strollers or add-on riding boards or anything like that which will work for older siblings up to, say, 60 or 65 lbs.

Does such a thing exist? Or does anybody successfully use a Joovy Caboose stroller with an older sibling well past the weight limit?

ADS

jsta1005

We recently went to Disneyland with some friends who have the Baby Trend sit n stand. For some of the longer stretches of walking B rode with her friend D on the stand part with a younger sibling in the seat. They were probably weighing in around 120 lbs total. The stroller was HEAVY to push like that but it worked just fine. If it were me I would look at a single stroller with a board on the back if needed.

Maggie

What kind? Is it just the regular Caboose? Or the Ultralight?

I have both and the regular is absolutely miserable to steer with anything more than my 30lb DD in the front. Add my 35lb preschooler and it's like pushing dead weight. Turning is almost impossible.

The Ultralight model is a bit better, but I still find myself having a hard time turning corners with my 2 yr 30lb and 4 yr 35lb kids on it. I have a 60lb second grader and it's pretty much impossible to do anything with her on it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Yeah, I talked to her today and I think she's changing her mind on it. I really thought it was inadvisable anyway. It's a neat idea in theory, but it seems so much easier to let a perfectly healthy 6 year old walk.

Rosey

She could get a peg perego P3 that has an integrated standing platform on the back, or a buggy board. My 5 yr old neice loves to hitch a ride. My sister has a Joovy ergo caboose and has used it three times. It lives in the garage now and she has taken over my P3.

V

VanIsleMommy

baby jogger has a universal buggy board that might work, there is another brand that has some kind of buggy board that the older child can use as a scooter too. other than that I think she's out of luck, most strollers have a 45 pound or 100 pound total weight limit.

jperiod

This is a good reason for a baby carrier! ;) We have the BJCE which goes to 75 lbs so my 60 lb 6 yo can ride when he needs it (autism). Baby just goes on my back in the SSC (angelpack LX), where she'd rather be anyway! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC