Configuration Challenge - RV family, 4 kids, and a truck

sixmaybemore

I've been contacted by an RV'ing mama who wants some help with their seating configuration. This is a full time RV family. They own a truck and a fifth wheel trailer. There is not an option at this time to get another vehicle, so we're working within the confines of this vehicle only.

The vehicle is a 6 seater F250 (3 front / 3 back).

The kids are:

ds1 8 yo 45lbs / 42 inches
ds2 7 yo 45lbs / 42 inches
dd1 6 yo 35 lbs / 36 inches
baby, 18 mos 20lbs / approx 30 inches

The current seats are: two backless Graco boosters for the boys, a Graco HBB for the girl, and a rear facing convertible for the baby.

Mom asked me:

what seating/car seat combination would you be using?

ready, set, GO!

PS I've asked what year the truck is, as soon as I have that info I'll post it.

ADS

zactayaus

The 7 and 8yo in the back both outboard, baby in between them and all of them using their current seats. 6yo middle front in a harnessed seat. Preferably a seat with good head excursion #'s (RN, GN, or one of the Britax Next Gen seats) because there's no place to tether in that position.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
zactayaus said:
The 7 and 8yo in the back both outboard, baby in between them and all of them using their current seats. 6yo middle front in a harnessed seat. Preferably a seat with good head excursion #'s (RN, GN, or one of the Britax Next Gen seats) because there's no place to tether in that position.

:yeahthat:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
In Fords you can tether from the front seat to the rear seat tether anchor. Personally, *I* would be comfortable tethering over the top of a rfing seat with rebound control.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Judi said:
I doubt you could easily install a HDTA there.

Actually, if it's the same as an F350, you can easily hook a tether anchor to the seat belt anchor for the center rear seat by going through the crack of the 60/40 split.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The 8 year old is tiny. I'd probably put the oldest child in the front/center in a harnessed seat.

If they can squeeze a Frontier in there and still leave enough room for the adults to not be uncomfortable, that would be awesome because it would last the longest. If not, a Radian would probably work. When the 8 year old outgrows the Radian, move Child # 3 into that spot (since child #2 will probably pass up child #1 soon and will outgrow the Radian first). I would probably keep a FF Radian 80SL or R120 there and just put the oldest child who hasn't outgrown it in that spot.

I am assuming right now that both center positions have lap belts only. If there are any lap/shoulder belts in center positions, that information would be useful.

susanx4

right now in my ram1500 i have 2 boostered kids (10, 8) next to each other in the back, one with high back because of no head rest, and then open seat for my 13 year old, then 4.5 year old in a radian in the front center seat FF

bubbaray

I would not put a FR in the center front position, particularly if the truck has front airbags. If the center front position has lap-belt only, I'd put as low-profile a harnessed seat as I could find that would fit the child (RN would be a good choice, a Maestro may also work). A FR is too bulky to be near a front airbag, plus I would worry it would interfere with the driver.

The rear seating would depend on where the lap/shoulder belts and headrests are. If the center rear is lap-belt only with no headrest, I'd put the RFg baby there, in a convertible that can be RFg tethered (Britax would be my first choice as the center front is occupied).

Ford didn't have l/s belts & headrest in the center front until 2011 IIRC. DH's 2011 F150 has a center front l/s belt and headrest, its a nifty setup. It d/n come from the roof, its integrated into the seat, so that when the seat isn't used, it is a center console.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
A frontier will fit in the front middle. It is somewhat tight. Dh is 6'3" and a big guy. Our F250 was a stick, so that didn't work very well. I would try the FR85 SICT since there is no tether spot and I doubt they could get someone to professionally install one.

We used a bv ff in our F350 crew and it worked great. It was an automatic.

So try a fr85 SICT or RN in the front middle with one of the 3 older kids. The back seat is very wide. Almost anything will fit back there. I miss the F350. We now have a 1995 extended cab Chevy 5 seater. But its a nice 2nd vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC