Should I bring a carseat for travelling?

monsterling

My family will go to Hong Kong in 2 weeks, I'm thinking should I buy a car seat to use there (My sister has a car there) as we will only stay for 10 days.

DS will be 4 at the end of this month. Since car seat is not a requirement there so it's very hard to borrow from friend. I definitely don't want to bring our Blvd or TF as they are too huge. I'm thinking should I buy a new Scenera just for this trip (I will not have much use after the trip as I already has a 2 blvd for 2 cars and 1 TF as spare at home). Or, should i forget about the car seat and just use seat belt for him during the 10 days trip? Any advise?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Definitely bring a seat. While the law may not require a seat, the laws of physics don't respect country borders.

A Blvd is actually pretty easy to travel with. Just bungie it to a rolling suitcase and you are golden. Having a familiar seat for the long flight might help keep your little one comfortable too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If he fits in the Scenera and you can use it on the plane, then it's a good idea. Practice with a locking clip, you will need it. I would not have him in just a belt, ever.

I know some Asian airlines won't allow car seats on board. (If you're flying a US based airline, you are guaranteed the right to use it.) If that's the case, and he fits a Ride Safer Travel Vest, you could use that. If not, you might look into whether you can get a Scenera in a bag, and take it as a carryon. You should not check it if you can at all help it. If you can't do that, if you HAVE to check it, get a sturdy box (I recommend a Dish Barrel box from U-Haul, they fit well and have double walls), and pad and seal it as best you can before checking.

Evolily

I would probably go with a combination seat like the maestro instead of the scenera for the trip, that way you'll have a seat that will last longer.

My only concern with the RSTV would be the availability of lap/shoulder belts. I know it varies quite a bit internationally.

monsterling

Thanks for all the reply. I tried not to bring the Blvd coz' my sister car is a small car ( even smaller than the Toyota Echo) and we will have 4 adults and 1 kid in total so once I install the Blvd, it is so difficult for 2 adults sit at the back.

I checked the airline, it's not allowed to bring car seat on board so we have to checking I we bring one (that's one of the reason I don't want to bring the Blvd too). I do have the CARES harness so DS can use on flight. Other than Scenera, what will be the other option to use? I don't want to spend too much for the car seat that we are not able to use afterward. DS is still RF in the TF and just turn FF in the Blvd. Any ideas?

leighi123

Maybe get a RSTV.

I'd defiantly use something other than just a seatbelt! The driving in HK can be scary. I lived there for 14 years, we mostly took public transport and rarely the car.

gigi

If you use an RSTV, you must make sure there is a lap/shoulder belt.

Honestly, in that situation and knowing you'd like to not spend much, I'd get a HBTB if there is a lap/shoulder belt (often on sale at target for $35) and your son fits in it. There will be adults supervising the kid closely in the seat and it travels easily (carry on the booster and put it in the overhead, pack the back in the suitcase). The RSTV is a lot of money to use only for a week and I wonder if it would even fit your son, given he is under 35 pounds.

If there is only a lap belt, I'd get a Maestro and check it packed in its original box and leave it in HK when you are done with the trip.

NVMBR02

Hmm, I'm not very good in those terms. What is RSTV and HBTB?

HBTB= high backed turbobooster (Graco brand, inexpensive and fairly lightweight and narrowish)

RSTV= Rider safe travel vest. I would look into this if it were me, it may be your best option if you will have a shoulder belt. The nice thing about this is it is easy to pack so you don't have to worry about a checked seat.

The website for the RSTV is http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

If you don't have a shoulderbelt I would look at the Evenflo Maestro.

monsterling

Thanks for all the reply. I'm kinda prefer the RSTV option but it's a bit pricey for 10 days use. Do you know where I can find the preowned one?

gigi

You MUST have a shoulder belt or a top tether to use a RSTV, so it is important to verify that the car has shoulder belts in the back seat (I doubt there are top tether anchors in HK). Otherwise, you won't be able to use it. If there are lap belts only, the only safe option is a harnessed child restraint.

Another thing to consider is if your child will fit. My son didn't fit well until he was about 40 pounds because he has no chub in the tummy.

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I know the RSTV is pricey, but if you confirm that you either have a lap/shoulder belt available for him to use OR a top-tether anchor (that's probably a long shot but you never know) then it will probably be your best bet. I would venture to guess that you will get plenty of use out of it beyond this 10 day visit.

They come up occasionally on the swap board here. Unless your son is HUGE for his age (which he probably isn't if you're even considering a Scenera) you'll need the size small. If you can find one used, great. If not, then I would go ahead and buy new, then become a contributing member here and list it on the swap when you're done with it if you don't want to keep it.

Heck, I might even buy it from you. :) I have a size large, but I could use a small one in my trunk also. I'm always hauling kids of various sizes around on short notice.

monsterling

Thanks for all the tips and info. Just confirm with my sister, her car has a shoulder and lap belt for the back passenger seat (yay!). So, my question for now is, will my son has a good fit with the RSTV? DS is very skinny with only 33lbs and 41-42 inch tall.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Some kids that size fit well in the new-style small; some don't. How he's built (tall/skinny vs. stocky) will have a lot to do with how it fits.

monsterling

Okay, I received the RSTV today. However, the instruction is not very clear to me even I went through their website still cannot figure out. It comes with 2 belts. I know one is for top tether, but what is the use for the other one? It seems its for connect the vest from front to back in between the kid's thigh. Am I right? And, is it necessary to put that on? DS doesn't like that strap and keep complaining when I put it on.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC